Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Help, what is this?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:54 AM
CallMeChris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, what is this?

I picked up 4 Nitro RC trucks for a steala couple days ago and I'm now trying to ID a couple of them. I know they are Traxxas and was told they were both T Maxx's but unless they are a version I can't find that's not what they are. Here are a few pics....what are they?

I've got a Kyosho I'm gonna have to ID also but let's start with these...lol
Old 07-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Hydro51

Default RE: Help, what is this?

That would be a redcat volcano if i'm not mistakin.

http://www.redcatracing.com/Volcano-S30-Truck-24
Old 07-03-2013, 10:14 AM
CallMeChris

yup, that looks like it...thanks!

You know anything about the redcats?  I am just getting back into the game with my kids and Ive never heard the name...I am sure lots have changed since I had my last one! lol
Old 07-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Hydro51

Well, from what i understand and hear about the redcat brand of rc's, they are an entry level rc.  A lot of that just depends on a prsons budget and what they like too.  I think that truck would be great for your kids to learn wth and bash around with.  That truck has the vertex .18 in it and that's what is in my hydro formula.  Tuning is different in a boat, so i would go 3 1/2 turns out on the high speed needle as a base setting and tune for max temp and rpm from there. Once that is set,  tune the low speed needle for crisp throttle response wthout bogging or hesitation from a dead stop.    Hope this helps!!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:50 AM
CallMeChris

thanks for the input!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:50 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you will have to look close at the motor....
The older redcat volcano did have a vertex .18....but for a few years now its been the volcano S30 and has come with a SH .18
Now, Exceed rc also distributes the same basic truck....just with different electronics and motor. I believe theirs still ships with a vertex motor.
Got a pic of the radio? Might be able to ID which exact model it is.

Either way, these are decent trucks. They are not quite as tough as say, the HPI savage....but still plenty of fun. And especially if it is the SH motor, it can be reliable (assuming the previous owner broke it in right and took care of it...as with any used nitro)

There is a redcat support forum on RCU...and there are some basic tips and tricks which can help make the truck hold up better.

Its a perfectly good begiiner nitro....just don't expect it to bash as hard as a nitro savage and not break. For general driving and fun tho its a great rig.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:23 PM
CallMeChris

it came with traxxas controls and electronics...the guy said they were both t maxxes...lol  This one runs just fune, the second one needs a few plastic pieces but nothing major.  Also got a savage that needs a bit of work and a kyosho that i need to identify when I get a chance that needs put together and a few odd and end pieces.  A couple extra motors and a couple extra rims and tires...all for $170 so I didnt do too bad...too bad these arent the traxxas he said.  Oh well, I am just glad to have some nitro trucks to tinker with again!  Sold all mine off years ago and the kids are old enough to start playing with them.  I got them some electric rustlers and they have had fun but I just cant get into the electrics like I could the nitros! lol
Old 07-03-2013, 04:42 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: CallMeChris

it came with traxxas controls and electronics...the guy said they were both t maxxes...lol This one runs just fune, the second one needs a few plastic pieces but nothing major. Also got a savage that needs a bit of work and a kyosho that i need to identify when I get a chance that needs put together and a few odd and end pieces. A couple extra motors and a couple extra rims and tires...all for $170 so I didnt do too bad...too bad these arent the traxxas he said. Oh well, I am just glad to have some nitro trucks to tinker with again! Sold all mine off years ago and the kids are old enough to start playing with them. I got them some electric rustlers and they have had fun but I just cant get into the electrics like I could the nitros! lol
If you got all that for $170 and at least on volcano runs as is, then you did well. If the savage runs then major score.
Many times I see used volcanos on ebay for retarded asking prices (often about what they cost new)
Ive owned a couple of the electric counterpart to your nitro volcano. Its a nice sized monster truck....just big enough to go most places and threw grass, but small enough that the smaller motor will give good speed and power.
Best deal I ever got was a brushless, ready to run volcano pro for $80 shipped!
You could sell the second volcano on ebay as is and get a good $50-$80 for it....make back some of your money and put that into the savage. That or keep it as a parts rig for the running volcano.

Im not a huge nitro guy, but have owned many used ones. And I found the smaller (.18 and under) motor tend to be easier to tune and keep tuned. Maybe just a fluke thing, but since I don't care much for tuning I like to have a nitro that is easiest to keep running.

Tons of alloy hop up parts available for the volcano! C hub, steering hub and rear hubs are the ones to get. wouldn't bother with the suspension arms or shock towers as the stock ones hold up pretty well.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:47 PM
CallMeChris

I've got a couple boys so I would love to get both of the volcano's running.  The Savage is going to need servo's and receiver.  The engine has a fin broke off of the top of the head but it's not anything that will stop it from running....Got a brand new in the box OS 2.5 I'm probably going to put in it.  Reverse is out in the trans but that's a fairly cheap fix or just run without it, haven't decided yet.  Might splurge and get the 3 speed trans while I'm at it.  Right now the Kyosho has the engine from the 2nd Volcano and the axle stubs from the Savage on it so it's going to need a LOT of work once I pull the parts off and put them back on the trucks they belong.  I want to get it running though, it's a pretty neat looking truck.  Has straight axles and a chain drive transmission...

I'll get some pics of it and post up here in a bit...maybe someone can help me figure out what it is.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:05 PM
CallMeChris

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

you will have to look close at the motor....
The older redcat volcano did have a vertex .18....but for a few years now its been the volcano S30 and has come with a SH .18
Now, Exceed rc also distributes the same basic truck....just with different electronics and motor. I believe theirs still ships with a vertex motor.
Got a pic of the radio? Might be able to ID which exact model it is.

Either way, these are decent trucks. They are not quite as tough as say, the HPI savage....but still plenty of fun. And especially if it is the SH motor, it can be reliable (assuming the previous owner broke it in right and took care of it...as with any used nitro)

There is a redcat support forum on RCU...and there are some basic tips and tricks which can help make the truck hold up better.

Its a perfectly good begiiner nitro....just don't expect it to bash as hard as a nitro savage and not break. For general driving and fun tho its a great rig.

The one that runs has a SH .18....the spare has a VX .18 so I guess it's the older one. Trucks look identicle though. I guess all parts are interchangeable, right?
Old 07-03-2013, 08:12 PM
CallMeChris

Here is the Kyosho I'm trying to ID....anyone?

Old 07-03-2013, 08:18 PM
CallMeChris

Bump...

Any ideas what the Kyosho is?
Old 07-05-2013, 03:06 PM
CallMeChris

TTT in case anyone new is around to play the guessing game! lol
Old 07-05-2013, 05:22 PM
littlemel
My Feedback: (4)

Looks like a Kyosho Mad Force.........

go about 1/3 down the page.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:58 PM
cumquat

i will confirm, that is a madforce. whether it's a kruiser or not i'm not sure but most parts are the same to my knowledge so it doesnt perticularly matter. if you wanted to sell it, you should be able to get 50-100 with little issue.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:51 PM
CallMeChris

are they still chain drive?
Old 07-05-2013, 10:19 PM
cumquat

yep.