Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

IMax b6 noob help

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:12 AM
ohiowoodsrider250r
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMax b6 noob help

hi everyone ...my this charger business seems kind of complicated. i am going from a balance charger in which i just hooked up my packs and it and it charged. to my new imax which has many settings and i'm not sure how to get it up to charge 2 2s packs at once. i mean if i used a series connector would it not charge at half speed? and how does it monitor balancing ? i looked at adapters but saw no 2x 2s to 4s converter for the task of charging in series? someone help me out here before something gets burned down ha ha
Old 07-07-2013, 01:14 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: IMax b6 noob help

I don't think that charger is set up for that, ohio.  I'm sure it's do-able, but it's not advisable.  As you wondered, balancing becomes an issue.  Not knowing the charger's firmware, I don't know how it would handle two packs connected with a y-harness. Especially if only one, or none, of the balance taps are plugged into the balance port.  I don't think my charger would allow it. 

Why risk it? If you need to charge two packs at once, buy a charger capable of doing so, eh?
Old 07-07-2013, 01:36 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that's meant to charge 1 lipo at a time.
there are more expensive versions of the imex (an thunder) which can charge 4 lipos at once.
any means of hooking up 2 packs will take twice as long to charge and you will not be able to Balance the packs.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:23 PM
ohiowoodsrider250r

there must be a way i mean...it'll charge lipo's up to 6s so why not use some kind of adapter for the balance taps and use a series connector ? it just uses the balance lead to monitor right? why couldn't they just be treated as an 4s pack ? don't give me bad news guys i haven't even gotten the imax in the mail yet!! ha ha
Old 07-07-2013, 02:29 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: ohiowoodsrider250r

there must be a way i mean...it'll charge lipo's up to 6s so why not use some kind of adapter for the balance taps and use a series connector ? it just uses the balance lead to monitor right? why couldn't they just be treated as an 4s pack ? don't give me bad news guys i haven't even gotten the imax in the mail yet!! ha ha
you can Charge a pair of 2s packs as a 4s....but that charger will not balance them that way.
Don't wanna hear it, but its not a good idea to try and charge 2 packs together that way. It could cause the cells in the packs to become uneven.

My thunder AC6 is basically the same as the imexb6. Mine takes just a bit over 1 hour to full Balance charge a 2s 5000mah lipo pack a 5amps. That's not bad, considering that those packs last 20-30minutes in my brushless 1/10 models. That's SOOO much better than the nimh and chargers I had 6 years ago when I started in the hobby....and those nimh and charger costed more than the lipo and thunder ac6 I use today!

what you are looking for is more like this: http://www.hobbypartz.com/75p-t6-multi-charger.html
Old 07-07-2013, 03:44 PM
ohiowoodsrider250r

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5p-xUtWM1w#at=13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d2ufNJn8H0

heres some youtube videos i have found...any thoughts?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:10 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

I don't think that charger is set up for that, ohio. I'm sure it's do-able, but it's not advisable. As you wondered, balancing becomes an issue. Not knowing the charger's firmware, I don't know how it would handle two packs connected with a y-harness. Especially if only one, or none, of the balance taps are plugged into the balance port. I don't think my charger would allow it.

Why risk it? If you need to charge two packs at once, buy a charger capable of doing so, eh?
He did... So rude

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

that's meant to charge 1 lipo at a time.
there are more expensive versions of the imex (an thunder) which can charge 4 lipos at once.
any means of hooking up 2 packs will take twice as long to charge and you will not be able to Balance the packs.
Why would it take twice as long???? (I can only see that happening if the capacity is over 5000mah

Dont listin to them lol.... joking
I've got that charger and yes u can get a adapter to charge 2x 2s lipo's at the same time.... And even ballance charge them

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Balance-c...585842d&_uhb=1

U will still need another adapter for the power leads.

IMO they are so cheap just buy another charger
Old 07-07-2013, 06:23 PM
ohiowoodsrider250r

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...6xJST_XH_.html is this what i need?. promise i'm doing the leg work guys i really am...but theres 200 dollars and potentially a house at steak here. i already have a parallel t connector. also i have watched some videos on how to setup the charger.   

Old 07-07-2013, 09:39 PM
phmaximus

Here I'll give u the rundown on charging....

To charge...
Check ur battery mah rating and the max charge rate... Generally 1c

To calculate the max charge rate devide the mah rating by 1000 then times it by the c rating. This will give u the max charge rate in amps

For example...
A 2s 5000mah 25c with charge rate of 1c
5000mah / 1000 x 1 = 5amps

Set ur charger to lipo, then select ballance, set charge rate, hold start, and select cell count (ie 2s)

Here is the problem, the B6 maxes out at 5amps. So u literally can not charge more than 5amps
So to effectively charge 2 2s lipo's they would have to be under 2500mah each.

But with a adapter like .....
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Align-JST...4204a10&_uhb=1

U could charge two small 2s lipo's at the same time, u use that adapter and a parallel battery adapter to trick the charger into thinking its a 4s single pack. The important thing is they need to be matching batteries (ie brand, mah, c and v) and under 2500mah....

Generally I find 2s 2500mah batteries a wast of time. Better off just getting another charger so u have 2

I'm running.....
2x IMAX B6
1x IMAX B5
Old 07-08-2013, 03:08 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

as shown above, you can charge 2 2s lipos at the same time....but if they are 5000mah then the charger will stop short as it thinks it has put 5000mah into a single 5000mah pack (reached capacity)
It wont know that you have hooked up a pair of 5000mah lipos. each pack would have reiceved only 2500mah, or a 50% charge.

also, do to the 5amp max charge rate, if you start the charger over again so that it puts another 5000mah into the packs to top the 2 off with 2500mah, this will end up taking just as long as charging both packs the normal way one after another. see? Might as well forgo the extra wiring and setup and just charge each pack the normal way as it will end up taking the same amount of time.

unless you buy a charger meant to charge more than one pack at a time, the is no benifitial way to charge multiple packs at the same time with the charger you bought.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

I don't think that charger is set up for that, ohio. I'm sure it's do-able, but it's not advisable. As you wondered, balancing becomes an issue. Not knowing the charger's firmware, I don't know how it would handle two packs connected with a y-harness. Especially if only one, or none, of the balance taps are plugged into the balance port. I don't think my charger would allow it.

He did... So rude

Idid not intend to be flip. Just a poor attempt at being cheeky. Did not mean to offend. Jus tryin to help........

Old 07-10-2013, 05:38 AM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

as shown above, you can charge 2 2s lipos at the same time....but if they are 5000mah then the charger will stop short as it thinks it has put 5000mah into a single 5000mah pack (reached capacity)
It wont know that you have hooked up a pair of 5000mah lipos. each pack would have reiceved only 2500mah, or a 50% charge.

also, do to the 5amp max charge rate, if you start the charger over again so that it puts another 5000mah into the packs to top the 2 off with 2500mah, this will end up taking just as long as charging both packs the normal way one after another. see? Might as well forgo the extra wiring and setup and just charge each pack the normal way as it will end up taking the same amount of time.

unless you buy a charger meant to charge more than one pack at a time, the is no benifitial way to charge multiple packs at the same time with the charger you bought.
Lipo chargers don't work this way. With the CV charge type (all chargers in the last 5 years are like this).

Can wire the batteries in series to make a 4 cell pack and charge it at full charge rate. Can even get balance adapters so that each of the 4 cells now are balanced as well.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:22 PM
phmaximus

Well that's it, in default mode it won't do that.

U can set a max capacity with a IMAX B6, don't know why u would need that feature?

But with the adapters I mentioned in previous post he could fully charge any 2 matching batteries.
Charging below 1c does not effect capacity at all. Just takes longer