Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Drive shaft wobble

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 02:42 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drive shaft wobble

Hi all, a few questions:

1. I've noticed that some of my vehicles have "drive shaft wobble" (I doubt that is the technical term). ;-) While I understand this is normal wear and tear, I'm trying to learn more about the most common cause(s)

I believe the causes can be one or more of the following.As notedI'm trying to determine what is most common so I can start with that part.

Outdrives (*see below for more on this)
Diff houses
Diff bearings
Worn/bent drive shaft
Worn axles
Anything else?

2.How much play ideally should a shaft have in its outdrive?
3. How much play is too much?

Below are some older outdrives and shaft pins from my Losi 810. They have a about a gallon on it. I replaced them with some lightened HD ones...but think these are decent shape/
First pic you can see I have about a mm of play.
Second picyou can see that there are no jagged edges, additionally the pin that goes through the diff insert is not worn
Third pic you can see the shaft ends, along with the AE silicone grease I use.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55487.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	1899542   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43127.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	1899543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33353.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	1899544  
Old 07-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Dads like rc too

Default RE: Drive shaft wobble

John, snip a small piece of fuel tubing and put it between the cups and bones. Try several sizes until you get your bones centered up. It will keep your dogbones from slinging around which is number 1, the most annoying mechanical sound ever, two...will reduce wear on your output cups and C, still let the dogbones move as your suspension moves.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:13 PM
JoeMaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the fastest ways to cure this is install CV Drive Shafts and it does away with the Dog Bones.    The Dog Bones are notorious for chatter and wearing out.  The only movement on the CVD Joints is then on the Out Drives and provides a better balance on the wheel bearings.    

Putting a small piece of fuel tubing works great also but can cause the Dog Bone to pop out if it is too large of a piece of cut tubing. 

http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...132/Categories

Old 07-11-2013, 08:57 PM
JohnP2

Thanks, guys. Should mention am running center CV shaftsin my vehicles (all stock). I have a pair of Tekno ones I'm going throw onto my 810soon. The f/c shaft's angle inthat buggyhastocause a lot of wear as its prettyextreme.Most of the play I've seen are actually in center diff outdrives. Just unsure if it is housing, bearings, cups, or.....?

Does movement of the shafts (in/out) increase wearmuch?I don't think I have any that go beyond 3/4in or out. My question on play was side-to-side. Perhaps each case is different? Just curious if one area is prone to give out more than others.Thanks again