Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is This A Good ESC / Motor Combo For Slash MT?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Is This A Good ESC / Motor Combo For Slash MT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 05:37 AM
Zonked
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tuff1
can i pull off a 12 tooth pinion w/ this set up.
had some fun with it the other day running the 11 tooth pinion but am curious weather i can run a 12 tooth without any issues / concerns considering the new power system and wheel size.
- power system: Castle Creations Sidewinder SCT Combo with 1410-3800KV Motor
- hotbody rover tires (they're right about / just over 5")
What kind of temps are you gettiing ?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:33 AM
tuff1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont know. i dont own a temp gun.
gonna have to check out a few prices on those ...
Old 09-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Zonked

dont know. i dont own a temp gun.
gonna have to check out a few prices on those ...
I use the duratrax model and it works pretty good. Also have one from ebay that is junk lol.

You can try the ole finger test ? Hold your finger on the motor after a full pack and if you can keep it there for 5 seconds you are good to go. Obviously not the best way but you may be able to get by with it.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:28 PM
tuff1

head out today and was driving past a harbor freight i knew was a little further down the road and ended up picking one up there. can vouche for the accuracy nor quality but i picked it up for $20 bucks.
its this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/infrare...ter-93984.html
currently charging a battery. gonna run it with the 11 tooth and check temps. then over the weekend - swap out the pinion with the 12 tooth and check temps to compare.
what temps should i be mindful of?
good range to stay within?
what temp will indicate, that its too hot?
Old 09-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Zonked

should work just fine. The motor can take 160+ according to Castle but i try and keep things in the 150 range, personally never had the speedo over 130
Old 09-06-2013, 07:26 PM
tuff1

total fail this afternoon. it got late and got dark out so gonna have at it tomorrow. will definitely post results.
thanks again Zonked.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Zonked

No problem... that temp gun looks nice. Harbor Freight is in my top 2-3 shopping places lol
Old 09-07-2013, 04:27 PM
tuff1

man! so much fun!!!!
i swear lipos are THE BEST. they just keep going and going and going ....

okay so was out there today - running mostly on grass and a little cement and the street. (this thing was hitting wheelies when i punched it!!)
the hottest the motor got to be was 108 / 109 and the hottest i was able to read the esc was like 96
hoping i have a little more free time this weekend to swap out the 11 tooth for the 12 and give comparisons. otherwise, ill MAKE the time during the week.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Zonked

man! so much fun!!!!
i swear lipos are THE BEST. they just keep going and going and going ....

okay so was out there today - running mostly on grass and a little cement and the street. (this thing was hitting wheelies when i punched it!!)
the hottest the motor got to be was 108 / 109 and the hottest i was able to read the esc was like 96
hoping i have a little more free time this weekend to swap out the 11 tooth for the 12 and give comparisons. otherwise, ill MAKE the time during the week.
Sounds like you have plenty of room to gear up glad your having fun !
Old 09-20-2013, 04:17 PM
tuff1

AMAZING! and so much fun ...
okay so, swapped out the pinion for the 12 tooth and gotta tell you that the difference was definitely evident - ESPECIALLY when on the street doing speed runs. hard to believe such a little tweak could make such a notable difference.
as for temps - i checked after about 20 minutes or so of zipping back and forth on grass and jumping and running on the street and nor the motor or the esc got past 120 and it was definitely warmer out today than it was the last time i checked temps.
i will continue to play it safe and monitor temps to be 1000% sure but i really feel that its pretty good where it is at the moment.
Question :

also - how do you feel about these temps?

Last edited by tuff1; 09-20-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Zonked

120 is plenty considering the wheels and tires you have on that rig Good bashing temps if you ask me.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:33 PM
tuff1

ive got one of those action shot cameras. guess its very similar to those go pros - never actually used it for anything, other than testing it out when i got it (almost a year ago!)
i wanna get some footage of it and upload it, but cant imagine what the quality is gonna be like or if ill even be able to know when the truck is in frame! LOL!
well only one way to find out. im definitely gonna do it though.