Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Using paint thinner to remove tires from wheels

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Using paint thinner to remove tires from wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:15 PM
cirec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using paint thinner to remove tires from wheels

I know you can remove tires with acetone but I don't have any. I do have paint thinner so does paint thinner do the same thing?
Old 10-02-2013, 11:30 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, but it will make them very clean

i have limited success with boiling water.... Really depends on the wheels...I found well glued Traxxas revo tyres are impossible.

what type of wheels and what did u want save? If u are just replacing tyres... Hack the tyres off with whatever and clean up the wheels with a hobby knife and sandpaper
Old 10-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring an oven up to 350 degrees. Turn it off and put your wheels and tires in on a cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes. The tires will pop right off.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Sixtysixdeuce

I usually cut the tires off with an X-acto knife if I intend to reuse wheels. Most aggressive chemicals & solvents are not plastic-friendly, especially the ones that will eat glues.

Bring an oven up to 350 degrees. Turn it off and put your wheels and tires in on a cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes. The tires will pop right off.
I might try that, but with a set of wheels I don't care about. I could see this going very wrong with some types of polymer wheels.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:14 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know if acetone will react badly with tuppwerware? I bought a large lasagna-sized one for tire removal. RPM wheels I know are ok in acetone. Removes the finish, but I paint them anyway.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:05 PM
cirec

I'm trying to take off short course tires. They're AKA super soft tires. I saw in a video that baking wheels and tires will leave your house smelling bad. I guess I'll try cutting the tires of and sand the remains off.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never had much luck with boiling,, but as it sort of worked I used the boiling method until I boiled some touring car wheels. A different plastic than buggy or MT wheels and they deformed in the hot water:

Click image for larger version

Name:	BoiledRim.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	2235108

So I made an adapter to mount the rim in a lathe (a drill press would likely work too). Basically, cut the tire off, then mount the rim and spin it. Hold a small screwdriver against it to remove the left-over rubber:

Name:	CleaningTools.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	2235109

Here's a pic of two rims, one partly cleaned and the other fully cleaned (not perfect, but useable). It works, but for those small wheels I usually just buy new rims:

Name:	PartResults.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	2235110
Old 10-05-2013, 08:28 PM
kimber750

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Anyone know if acetone will react badly with tuppwerware? I bought a large lasagna-sized one for tire removal. RPM wheels I know are ok in acetone. Removes the finish, but I paint them anyway.
I use my gas grill to remove tires. Use one burner to heat the grill and place old cookie sheet on other side. Set the tires on soda cans on the cookie sheet. Has worked great for me. Little lady would be pissed if I cooked off tires in her oven.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like baking as it's free and hot water doesn't get in the foams and squirt out at you. It does smell a bit so open some windows and it'll air out quickly. As long as you don't melt or burn anything it doesn't harm the oven or leave any residue so don't worry about that. I put a layer of aluminum foil over the cookie sheet to help protect the tires as insurance. The gas grill idea sounds good if you're concerned about the smell, just gotta make sure the cookie sheet doesn't get too hot and that the hot air is doing the heating otherwise stuff might start melting.