Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Nitro Buggy Problem with video!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Cool_cris27

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nitro buggy leak help!

Ok so I got an OFNA Ultra LX 2 about 2 months ago. We'll about two weeks ago that it started leaking a black fluid right under the cooling head and on top of the engine like right in the middle. So I tightened the screws and ran it it stop leaking. So about two days later I ran it again but I made sure I tightened it well but after I was done there was even more liquid right under the cooling head and I have no idea why please help me out!
Old 11-04-2013, 03:39 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A cracked engine case, possibly? Take the motor out, and look for cracks of any size.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:45 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might be worth replacing the head gasket and go from there...
Old 11-05-2013, 06:01 AM
supertib

your exhaust gasket is probably shot...put a new gasket on
Old 11-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Cool_cris27

IM kind of new to nitro rc so what exactly is a gasket a i looked it up on google but a ton of different items come up and where can i get a gasket or order one for the ofna ultra lx 2
Old 11-05-2013, 02:12 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Head Gasket; http://www.ofnawarehouse.com/product...oducts_id=1795
Exhaust Gasket; http://www.advantagehobby.com/113526...FSNp7AodbhcAFg
Old 11-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Cool_cris27

oooohhhhh that head gasket might be it because when i clean my rc car i take out the collong head and clean it out make sure no dirt was in the engine fore anyreason but when i first got my rc and first opend it up i noticed one of those rings were bent but i didnt mind it because it didnt start leaking till now. Thanks ill we buy i new set of those.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:05 PM
phmaximus

Hummm..... U shouldn't reuse gaskets.... Sure it works sometimes but in no way shape or form is it recommended...

The idea of the gasket is to seal the head to the crankcase. Its a little soft so when u tighten it down it squishes to fill in any imperfection on both mating surfaces..... Once it's been squished down if removed its useless. Because if u reuse it, it won't be able to squish down and fill in any imperfections.

allso I wouldn't recommend taking the cooling head off.... It's just going to cause problems.... Think of the head bolts... They are metal right, u know if u keep bending metal it gets soft then breaks.... Same with stretching metal... Over time if u continue excessively removing the head the screws will become soft and won't hold tension, and possible snap. Allso they might not snap but u might find after each run they need re tensioning when the motor cools off....

my advice... Treat it like a real car.... When removing the head, replace the gasket and ideally the head bolts. Ensuring to tighten the bolts evenly in the correct sequence and even tension. That way u won't have to worry about it coming loose.... New bolts and gasket.... U would wear out the piston before they come loose.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Cool_cris27

Thanks for advice atleast the rtr came with extra screws for it
Old 11-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Cool_cris27

Default Nitro Buggy Problems Help!

Some of you have read my Last post i managed to stop the leaking thanks to you guys i greatly appreciate it. But i have another problem this happened even before the leak and still does i thought it was normaly but i really don't think this is supposed to happen I get a lot of bad luck when i order rc cars i get all the ones that come messed up some how. But anyways so this is what happens I would drive down the street about 1/4 throttle at a constant speed it works fine but when i start reach half throttle as i'm driving down the street it just shuts off on me all the time no matter what the most little amount of throttle i give it, it manages to shut off somehow. It gets very annoying because i constantly have to keep turning it on and i'm never able to pass half throttle or it will just shut off and i watch peoples videos and there cars run perfectly fine they can gun it on the throttle with no problems but unfortunately for me it undoable what can i do to fix this rc car. Ive had nothing but problems with this car ever since i got it 2 months a go. please help
Old 11-06-2013, 09:57 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like you are running too rich, and bogging the motor down
Old 11-06-2013, 11:46 PM
phmaximus

oh man that sucks.... the joys of nitro...

My advice is to read, read and more read.... Nitros require constant maintenance and tuning.
And running a incorrect tune triples the required maintenance.... before u know it it can spiral into a never ending loop of maintenance and tuning.

so in reality before u should attempt to drive it u need to teach yourself how to tune it.... there is so much information online its not funny, even check out youtube for some good tips.
if u need help finding some, im happy to find some for ya

first thing I would recommend is replacing ur glow plug, that way u will rule out any glow plug problems...
then get it running and start tuning....
Old 11-07-2013, 03:55 AM
Cool_cris27

the glow plug is brand new and the tunning is at factory settings and it is too rich lot of liquid and smoke comes from exaust but what i need to now it exactly how much to turn the needles you know? everything is at factory settings and it an ofna ultra lx 2 what should i do now.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:02 AM
Cool_cris27

oh and another thing ever since i got the car i made sure i put on the wheels good but it looks fine but as it moves the tires like wobble how do i fix that.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:24 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by Cool_cris27
the glow plug is brand new and the tunning is at factory settings and it is too rich lot of liquid and smoke comes from exaust but what i need to now it exactly how much to turn the needles you know? everything is at factory settings and it an ofna ultra lx 2 what should i do now.
there is no exact thing ANYONE can tell you just lean it out 1/8th turn at a time its a trial and error thing. This is due to climate differences, and engine quirks as no 2 are exactly alike.

You might want to look up some tuning videos on youtube so you can hear how it should sound as its more a play by ear type thing. But once you get it down its really simple.

Just so you know factory settings are usually extremely rich (hell the savage X won't even start with its setting its so rich)
Old 11-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Cool_cris27

thank im getting the hang of to after looking at tutorials.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Cool_cris27

Default Nitro Buggy Problem with video!

Ok so my buggy starts up fine I'm never able to go past half throttle even if i slowly go up to half throttle it still shut off no matter what at half. I did the pinch test to check the LSN and they say it supposed to be 3-4 secs till engine shuts off so yeah help me figure this out if its to lean to rich LSN HSN IDLE anything just tell mE! IM LEARNING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a19xZ...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Foxy

I have merged all three threads about your nitro buggy problems. Please don't make another, keep it all in here. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Foxy

Or I'll set the RCU cat on you...she's small but she bites.

Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Cool_cris27

did you see the video? for somereason my video thread leads to here
Old 11-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Cool_cris27

check out the vid it right there idk why it did that
Old 11-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Cool_cris27

this thread was about leak then i posted another threadt about something else on the buggy i fixed the leak already
Old 11-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Foxy

Originally Posted by Foxy
I have merged all three threads about your nitro buggy problems. Please don't make another, keep it all in here. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:52 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I repeat what I said that sucker is WAYYYY too rich lean it out

Take 16 mins out of your schedule and watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkzpdZGGXPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4WbETNYa88

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...4042B21077119E the entire list of tuning vids
Old 11-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Ttowntoolman

Way too rich HSN. Start the buggy, put it on a block of wood so tires dont touch ground. Turn the HSN (high speed needle) clockwise until you can give it full throttle without flameout. High speed needle is the one by the fuel line. Should get you close so you can do high speed runs to fine tune after.