Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

On-Road Rc car Help.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Cool_cris27

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default On-Road Rc car Help.

So i'm thinking about getting an on road car. Why you may ask. I live in the middle of new jersey and there are like no dirt tracks or open areas by my nearest one is about 1 hour 30 mins. It kinda sucks. so yeah i have a couple of questions. I want a cat that is fast and durable. Should i get a kit and put in my own electronics? if so what should i use for motor ESC servos etc. Or should i get a RTR and hop it up?? On thing is i get really confused with lipo batterys. they say you have chargers and lipo balancing chargers im like ***??? so i would like a lipo battery and charger that would be good for the recommended motor and esc. I don want this to come out to be really expensive. id say budget would be 400-500$ so help me out....
Old 12-02-2013, 05:19 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should probably start with something that is RTR.. Its just easier and as far as touring cars go, you don't really need to upgrade too much as they are good out of the box. If you are trying to keep in a budget I would suggest the HPI sprint2.. I run with a group of friends every saturday night in New Jersey and most of them run these cars in the summer months. I have several touring cars, but I prefer the older HPI Sport2 and the Pro.. they were replaced by the Sprint2.. If you are seriously looking into racing, then something on the higher end would be in order, but you will not be anywhere near your budget after outfitting the electronics. Don't go too cheap either or you will be dissapointed with the handling and lack of adjustments with those cheaper cars. Batteries and a charger will be your other expense. I run 3 to 4 packs on a typical saturday night and I won't spend more than $30 per pack at the most and the chargers aren't that much either. Our typical setup consists of 4600 or 5700 Castle creations motor, Castle mamba or sidewinder esc and funny enough we all run cheap Tactic or Flysky radios.. Some of the guys will use Hobby Wing motors and esc's, but they don't seem to last as long as the Castle stuff.. I've seen a few traxxas velineon's as well in a car or two. None of this stuff will cost all combined over $500.. We try and keep it cheap because we crash them hard and often and none of us want to lose something too expensive.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:19 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were you I'd get an HPI WR8 (the one without the licensed body), it'll do anything you want on asphalt. On 3S (which it handles just fine), it's completely insanely uncontrollably fast, and on 2S it's fun. Plus its quite a capable off roader (for a rally car) if you ever wanted to run through the dirt between asphalt runs.

I have one, so I'm speaking from experience, and while I'm actually not much of an HPI fan (I don't like the direction they've taken lately), I have to say this car does what it says on the box in grand style.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:21 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with foxy... The WR8 is great value... And it's one nice scale looking car. I wish I had one....

been closer to 1/8 it takes the little imperfection on the road better and ur less likely to rip the front bumper off from geting caught on a section that has been resurfaced... I've had 1/10 touring cars get launched from where a new road meets a old road... U know that little bump... Well that's massive to a 1/10
Old 12-05-2013, 06:07 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know it's actually between 1/9th and 1/10th (close to 1/9th). Compared to the Kyosho (DRX) its noticeably smaller, and smaller still than the traxxas rally. It's a good size though, doesn't look totally out of place running with the 1/10ths and of course it's light for a 4-pole brushless which is what it has. That's why it's such a madman.