Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

how to build a drivetrain for an 8 wheel drive "car" with a single 26cc engine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

how to build a drivetrain for an 8 wheel drive "car" with a single 26cc engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 08:18 AM
ratrace24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to build a drivetrain for an 8 wheel drive "car" with a single 26cc engine

i have had an idea knocking around for a while now of building an 8 wheel drive car/drone, i have got a single 26cc engine that was used for a strimmer/chainsaw that has an integrated clutch i want to use this single engine to power the drone. i would like to use preexisting RC parts for the whole drive chain as i have no machining tools or experience, i want the drone to be around the same width as the mta4 s50 and about 5/4ths of its length. if anybody has any ideas of how to go about this it would help greatly, i would also like to know if there are any preexisting "4 way clutches" ie an input from the engine an output on the left and right hand side and an output at the rear. (i put this in the giant scale cars also as i did not know which one it should go into so i thought better safe than sorry)
Old 03-27-2014, 08:44 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I know one platform that would kinda make it easy as I made a 6wd RC from it.

You could use for example the spur setup off a HPI MT2(just cause its Mod1, and a direct drive type setup), and couple that to axles off an HPI wheely king. If you buy an axle parts tree you can take one of the axles apart take the side off the parts tree that has where a bevel gear goes, and have it drive the next axle. You would need to make a rail chassis of some sort depending on the size of the engine

Here is a pic of how I rigged up just such an axle as you can see the middle axle feeds the one on the right which was flipped upside down.

Only problems I see are I dunno if the axles would be strong enough to support a chain saw motor(they do make aluminum braces though), or if you could get the gearing close to what it would need to be.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WKbottom.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1982000  
Old 03-27-2014, 09:25 AM
ratrace24

thanks for the idea, that is ingenious i will have to look into it.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:26 AM
Barracuz

LeL you won't be able to fit 8 axles and a 26cc engine on a chassis that's only 20% longer than a regular mta4 and same width

Well you could but it wouldn't be ideal. It would be top heavy and with all that weight and such small track would could cause it to wobble and tip.

Easiest way to do it would be custom work. You could use a simple ladder frame mount the engine somewhere in the middle and make custom brackets for each axle. You would have to use a chain and most likely a custom light weight axle. You could make an axle out of any tube or rod and weld sprockets on there. Suspension could be a simple L bracket pivoting on the frame and a single 1/5 scale shock on each arm/bracket.

Yup cheapest and easiest way would be that. Chain driven ladder frame with home depot tube axles and custom/premade L brackets as suspension arms.

That or you could buy one already made off eBay for 3 grand.

Do you have any tools like welders, grinders, drills etc. Not having a welder would be a setback. As for material any sheet metal supply store can give scrap pieces of 16th inch steel and tubing for free or for some coffee and donuts.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:17 PM
cumquat

WARNING: MAJOR BUZZ-KILL POST. READER DISCRETION ADVISED.

aint gonna happen without fabrication. and i mean a LOT of fabrication. first, you'll have to figure out how to get the tires to clear each other within the specified length, especially when turning, unless you were planing on skid steer in which case you have about 3 times the work right there. then, you have to actually attach and power the new wheels. then there is the issue of trying to fit the engine onto the chassis/ the only way i can see any of this happening is by designing and constructing a new chassis. relatively easy to do with just a hand drill, a dremel and a hacksaw but time consuming. simply put, this is not a good first project.

LESS OF A BUZZ-KILL BUT STILL A BUMMER

if you forget about the engine and the size you wanted, 8wd is easy.
chassis: http://store.rc4wd.com/Hercules-8x8-...ck_p_1663.html
trans: take your pick http://store.rc4wd.com/Transmission_c_25.html most will work
axles: front http://store.rc4wd.com/Blackwell-X1-...ack_p_448.html rear http://store.rc4wd.com/Blackwell-X1-...ack_p_450.html you'll want at least 2 of the front but you could use them instead of the rears to have rear steer too.

i dont know what drive shaft or link lengths this chassis needs but google should reveal those details. what exactly do you intend to do with this?