Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are there companies that will build you a custom truck or car ??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Are there companies that will build you a custom truck or car ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Thegame81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there companies that will build you a custom truck or car ??

I'm sure this sounds like a stupid question to you guys but I have very little knowledge of this hobby. I recently made a thread inquiring about making an old toy from the 80s stronger. (galoob the animal toy truck) but I was now thinking it would be cool if I could basically copy the design and just make a bigger more powerful version of it using a different body. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be less costs by putting a private person to work with this than a whole company. Maybe by using parts from already existing cars on the market and put them together. A company would have to make new molds for every part that would have ended up with astronomical labour prices. Do you have a link to the thread or even better to the car you are talking about?
Old 12-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Thegame81

Originally Posted by Lars from Norway
I think it would be less costs by putting a private person to work with this than a whole company. Maybe by using parts from already existing cars on the market and put them together. A company would have to make new molds for every part that would have ended up with astronomical labour prices. Do you have a link to the thread or even better to the car you are talking about?
Yes you are right. I really meant where can I find a person that could do something like this for me. Here is a link to the old commercial.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...57155469,d.cWc
Old 12-01-2013, 04:59 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's different... Hummm..... Anything is possible. But I'm thinking it would be very expensive...

is is it the wheels u want to copy or just the look of the old truck?
Old 12-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Thegame81

Originally Posted by phmaximus
That's different... Hummm..... Anything is possible. But I'm thinking it would be very expensive...

Well not so much the look. I'd actually rather have the body look like my jeep wrangler but I love the concept and idea of the claw tires. I just thought it would be really cool to make a larger more powerful version. I'm 32 now but that was my favorite toy when I was a kid. My grandfather that recently passed got it for me when I was little.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:54 PM
phmaximus

Ahh yep, it would be possible... Only thing... Performance wise it's not very good. It's more of a gimmick. But if ur still keen go of it.

Start with a CAD design
trial run with parts from a inexpensive 3d printing
mould plastic parts and hopefully there is no problems with the first batch....
It will end up costing thousands...

dare re some really creative person could make it from bits and pieces....
Old 12-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Thegame81

Originally Posted by phmaximus
Ahh yep, it would be possible... Only thing... Performance wise it's not very good. It's more of a gimmick. But if ur still keen go of it.

Start with a CAD design
trial run with parts from a inexpensive 3d printing
mould plastic parts and hopefully there is no problems with the first batch....
It will end up costing thousands...

dare re some really creative person could make it from bits and pieces....
After holidays I'm definitely going to look into this more. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2013, 12:01 AM
FahrtAutoRC

I remember these! Honestly though, they are right, it would have a ridiculous price tag attached to it, as well as the headaches involved, sheesh! You have a unique idea, but short of locating one of those and buying it as-is, you may find this goal a bit harder to reach than you want. IMO, your best bet would be to put the word out there for what you are looking for, and see if someone has one for sale. Running or not it wouldn't matter, as you should be able to replace the factory electronics with a cheap Tx/Rx, servo, battery, esc and very mild brushed motor for about $75 or less. If you look in the right places, of course!

Otherwise, if you are just looking for a fun RC to run around, check out Axial. I've recently gotten into their machines and they are great, and they make models that come from the factory with late model Jeep bodies. I actually just ordered the one in the link I have posted for my wife about 3 hours ago, although you may be more interested in RTR versions than the kit! Tamiya also offers many scale looking and fun vehicles, or, if you would like more speed, jumps and wheelies, check into Losi, Team Associated, or HPI. Just some suggestions!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDUVM&P=ML
Old 12-02-2013, 02:24 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In order to build a good custom RC in the vein of an existing 1:1 car, there are many and varied options.

Do you want the car to be extremely capable (rock climber?), or extremely scale (realistic looking, faithful to a real car)? Or a good balance of each? This is just one of a number of considerations which would dramatically change the direction and/or cost of the project.

I would be happy to build you a custom truck to your specifications (it wouldn't look a lot like the Galoob toy, it would be a lot more detailed and realistic, as well as capable and possessing similar geometry to a real lifted off roader, it could certainly look like any real life off roader you like). We would need to discuss it in detail before anything would be finalized, but I feel my knowledge of what's available and what works will suffice for what you're looking for. The required learning (particularly in the field of crawlers/scalers) is formidable, but not beyond the average person with a bit of time. Consider if you wouldn't prefer to do your own research (with some help from me if you need), or if you really just want an expert to build you something to a specification...ordinarily a project such as this will need some power tools, like bench drills and presses, grinders etc, so if you already have some of those you'll be off to head start. The sky is the limit, really.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:05 AM
jmpups
My Feedback: (1)

If you try to do it yourself, you just might learn something and be rewarded at the same time. jmpups
Old 12-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of good hints, advises and heads ups above here, included your own If you forget about the claws protruding out of the tires, there are lot of options already on the market on the crawler/scale scene. And finding a body you like isn't impossible either. I miss those pretentious, dramatic man-choir commercials from back then, they were something for their self!
Old 12-02-2013, 04:50 PM
phmaximus

He guys... Hate to be a pain, but it's not the truck that he wants to recreate its they claw tyres...if u watch the video it will make more sence... They literally have tiger claws that can come out of the wheels
Old 12-02-2013, 04:54 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

honestly I didn't think about this when I replied in the last thread(cause I was in a hurry, and didn't think about it till the animal dawned on me what it was), but if you really want those claws in the tires from the original there are some 5 spoke hex adapters that you in theory could screw into the plastic tire to hold it on, and use that on a model RC (this is in theory) If I remember right HPI made them.

outside that the claws in a modern RC tire I just don't really see unless you did something like placing a plastic over the animal ones, and cut it down, and glued it on, and cutting out the slots for the claws.

Also you would need a slow motor so they just don't rip right off.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:10 AM
sghsqing

Old 12-03-2013, 11:35 PM
phmaximus

Originally Posted by Thegame81
Well not so much the look. I'd actually rather have the body look like my jeep wrangler but I love the concept and idea of the claw tires. I just thought it would be really cool to make a larger more powerful version. I'm 32 now but that was my favorite toy when I was a kid. My grandfather that recently passed got it for me when I was little.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:58 PM
firefighter404

Wish I would of read this article earlier I seen one of these at the thrift store two days ago
Old 12-06-2013, 05:12 PM
9five9

I remember those! Oh the originality of the toys of yesteryear!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Thegame81

Can't believe this thread got this many responses. Thanks guys you guys are awesome : )
Old 12-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure there's someone out there with the machining tools who is willing to make a set of these wheels. It would take some doing but with some chunks of delrin and maybe aluminum for the claws themselves, it could be done. The wheels are the hard and expensive part, the rest is easy.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Thegame81

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
I'm sure there's someone out there with the machining tools who is willing to make a set of these wheels. It would take some doing but with some chunks of delrin and maybe aluminum for the claws themselves, it could be done. The wheels are the hard and expensive part, the rest is easy.
Ah forget it. I have the original lol. I am picking up a savage flux hp lol