Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First 1/10 brushless touring car! (suggestions welcome)

Hey, I was thinking of getting back into rc racing after a few years off finishing school and stuff, all my models are outdated now so time to change to a new touring car, I would love it if anybody could leave some links and suggestions below, not bothered if its not RTR... Infact its probably better if its a kit, I was looking at a TT01E Type R but the chassis has no esc battery, shell or transmitter and feel it would be a pain to source!
    Thanks in advance,
    Josh!

TT-01E Type R : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-584...item5d410eddcc
    Last edited by RCGriggs; 12-11-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Typo corrected

Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I recently made a recommendation in this vein to another member...

Hobby Grade RC Car Kit

But let me throw this out there...are you sure you want an on-road car? An off road car can still run on road. If you have a good potential budget for the right car, i have to say the HPI WR8, overpriced as it is, is almost the best of both worlds. Mine is usually the rc that goes on holiday with me. Versatile car.
    Down with the crew known to pump up the bass...
    We rock the joint at a cool, steady pace.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I admire your attempt, but I am looking for much 'more' of car, (motor,esc included) check this out: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maverick-S...item20dc83a16a

I understand the body appears cheap but is easily replaced, I have read up on these and they have good reviews, would just wondering what your opinion is on one of these? being rtr stops me from having to solder which is a relief.. thanks for the post foxy!

Quick update: I am pretty adamant on a road car, as I will rejoin my local racing club once this badboy is ready :L
    Last edited by RCGriggs; 12-11-2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Updated Information

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If you are considering racing at even car park level, then i too have to be adamant...the car i recommended to Alex is minimum spec for racing. Yoir link doesn't work, but it doesn't matter, the maverick has no business on a track in my opinion. Not meaning to be harsh, its a decent car for the dollar (Himoto/Maverick/Redcat/Exceed - all Himoto) but its still budget gear. How much are you gonna pay for the Maverick?
    Last edited by Foxy; 12-11-2013 at 11:35 AM.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    sorry im still new to this forum stuff, so sorry about the link, I know the standard maverick appears useless but this one comes with a brushless system, transmitter and everything you need. I was going to pay 170, about 280 dollars.. any better suggestions? thanks a lot!

How do you add links correctly?
    Last edited by RCGriggs; 12-11-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by RCGriggs View Post
    sorry im still new to this forum stuff, so sorry about the link, I know the standard maverick appears useless but this one comes with a brushless system, transmitter and everything you need. I was going to pay 170, about 280 dollars.. any better suggestions? thanks a lot!

How do you add links correctly?
    I'm so glad you asked.

Let's say 300 buck budget, hm?

First you join the Tower Hobbies super savers club (I'm guessing you're in the UK since your ebay link is the UK site), this costs $10 and entitles you, as an international customer, to 100 dollars off of a $400 order. Bam, all of a sudden, your budget is $400. This means you will pay at least $300 plus about 30 delivery (as a club member you also get $10 off delivery on every international order), so it will be a bit more, but you're making the money go a lot further...

Right, lets fill the basket...

The car itself (150)... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCFLH&P=0
    Radio (70)... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAVSY&P=ML
    Servo (31.50)... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUZ87&P=ML
    Motor and ESC (111) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDAVR&P=0 (this is a good quality high speed set, but for any serious racing you do, you will want to upgrade this to a sensored system because they are smoother, for messing around with friends and car parks, non-sensored is fine and Castle is a quality brand).
    Wheels and tires (26)... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYRH3&P=7

That's 388 bucks, so to get it down to $300 we have to spend 12 more bucks...let's throw the body in...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWLU5&P=ML this is a pro racing body, but is about as cheap as they get, if you don't like it, there are other choices for only 1 or two bucks either side. Right, that's 23 bucks, so now we're at $411. You can knock $100 right off that, then add the delivery for all this stuff, which will be about $40 with the 10 buck discount. So there you are at pretty much $350 with a car that will do 50mph outside your house until its tires wear through, and would not be out of place at all on a track in a club race, even with the cheap Castle electrics. Every component selected by you and good quality, no junk. Believe me this car will be a LOT better than the Maverick.

Of course you still need batteries and charger, but I assume that was the case with the Maverick too? Believe me, if it had a battery and charger supplied, they were worthless. Buy an IMAX B6AC charger from hobbyking.com at the UK warehouse for about 25 quid if I remember rightly, and any old 5000mAh 20C 2S battery, shouldn't cost you more than 20 bucks each, and give you 40 mins of runtime at silly speed. Make sure you get them from the UK warehouse or you'll pay silly money for delivery.

P.S. Link works now, don't know why it didn't before.

P.P.S Of course if my initial assumption was wrong and you're not in the UK and in fact are in the US, then I just wasted my time. lol.
    Last edited by Foxy; 12-11-2013 at 12:28 PM.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    woah! first off thanks a lot for taking the time to type all of that, and research it.. it really means a lot to know there are people so helpful in this world! you have restored my faith in humanity I love the setup but I am still studying gcse's and have a limited supply of money, so although out of my price range it is something to strive for! Thanks

P.s: I would feel so bad if I told you I was in the US lol! nope, you were correct im in the UK :L
    Last edited by RCGriggs; 12-11-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have just realised you were on about dollars and feel completely stupid, 300 dollars is about 180 pounds which is completely in my price range, *facepalm* thanks a lot :L
    Ride Or Die, Remember?
    R.I.P Paul Walker - 2013

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yeh you'll be about 215 quid delivered. You still need about 50 quids wirth of charger, batteries and paint, but thats a really good car for a great price when you buy it that way. Unfortunately you've got the 10 bucksvto join the club too, though it does pay for itself straight away its still 10 bucks.
    Last edited by Foxy; 12-11-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That's fine, better start saving my pennies :L
    Ride Or Die, Remember?
    R.I.P Paul Walker - 2013