Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: TT01E worth the money to hopup?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 50.00%
  • No

3 50.00%

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Question TT01E a waste of money?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	header_58501.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	1946796I have seen people on youtube take these cars and have a lot of fun improving them with awesome looking hopups! You can buy so many things and I was thinking maybe it would be a fun thing to do, this is the TT01E and Tamiya have ironed out any steering problems... this car is so cheap it wouldn't matter too much if it wasn't as fun as intended but I would like to know if anybody owns one of these? or has had any experiences upgrading them?, I have seen these cars go 60mph plus on youtube with lipo and aluminium shaft fitted, the castle brushless combo probably helped aswell :L Let me know what you think!

Thanks in advance,
    RCGriggs

P.S: Check out a few upgrades here - http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rcp...1#.UqjI_vdFDIU
    Last edited by RCGriggs; 12-11-2013 at 01:32 PM.
    Ride Or Die, Remember?
    R.I.P Paul Walker - 2013

Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hopping up is always a waste of money. The only way to see a positive, is to ask what are you buying for that money. It would be cheaper for example, to buy a $500 Xray kit, than it would be to buy and upgrade anything else to the same level, yet that is the hobby, we tinker. Even when we do buy $500 kits, we play with setups, suspension geometry, its what we do, but don't kid yourself, money spent on hopups is always wasted, both from the viewpoint of making something better economically, and from the viewpoint of resale. If instead you say that with that money you are buying satisfaction, an afternoon spent with screwdriver in hand, a tangible improvement in some aspect of the vehicle as a result of your selection and installation of a part, then the experience was worth the waste
    Last edited by Foxy; 12-11-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    Down with the crew known to pump up the bass...
    We rock the joint at a cool, steady pace.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That kind of what I was going for tbh, its so fun tinkering and finding a way to squeeze more power out of a car! I was just thinking because my granddad buys me cheap tt01's fairly often, they are bog standard and I just use them to put my cool bodys on, like my audi a4 red bull body and the Mercedes c class limited edition body but I was thinking of buying an e type for fun

P.s sorry for posting on the thread from 2002, me being the noob on this site that I am I thought the button would be next and was infact last ;L so I was scrolling through them like damn these people like old models and then realised what I had done once you told me haha! doofus
    Ride Or Die, Remember?
    R.I.P Paul Walker - 2013

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    lol, no worries, for what its worth I think you take the prize for longest elapsed time for a thread resurrection for this year. Congrats.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That's me, always smashing them records :L

P.s, I imagine this is a common question but how did you become a moderator and what do you have to do?
    P.p.s You are very good at what you do
    p.p.p.s very good indeed...
    Last edited by RCGriggs; 12-11-2013 at 02:49 PM.
    Ride Or Die, Remember?
    R.I.P Paul Walker - 2013

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Own one mine goes around 40 I'd guess (judging off what people driving down the street I used to drive it go)
    Good vehicle if you aren't serious about racing, or want a vehicle that doesn't need a groomed track or a well swept parking lot to screw around with.

Granted to keep mine going straight I had to replace the plastic knuckles with aluminum, the steering pieces with aluminum (the plastic had a lot of slop on mine, now there is like 0 play), aluminum rear uprights, ball bearings throughout, metal diff crown gear (think the current ones have this already), CVD's, a HPI body mount kit(so HPI bodies fit with no problem), HPI RS4 shocks, and a hobbywing 35A 9t combo
    Also have remote controllable headlights in it that turn on and off from the 3rd channel
    Yes I put some money into it, was it worth it hard call certinately had fun putting it together, and modifying it so I can't say it wasn't worth it. Thing also is a beast to keep under control as its tires like to break traction so its not just some point and pull trigger ballistic land missile that stay planted

Now would I recommend it for someone planning to race. No unless they had a TT01e class it would probably fail terribly(even with hop-ups). Now would I recommend it to someone just wanting a parking lot basher? yup

The only other vehicle I would recommend in its price range is the JL10e from ofna. Honestly if it was at the $150 price point when I was looking for an on-road I would have snagged that instead
    Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 12-11-2013 at 03:51 PM.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    thanks for the info syco, for the same price range I may just get a HPI - http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=106130 never built a belt rc before so gonna get a RTR rc to learn the ins and outs of it.. then in the future buy a more impressive setup! but the sprint 2 sport looks like a tidy setup to me, HPI is reliable and its waterproof, smack some slicks on it and drift in the rain for fun!
    Ride Or Die, Remember?
    R.I.P Paul Walker - 2013

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I appreciate the props, thanks. You become a mod by filling in a form, but without a strong recommendation, you would be unlikely to receive a response, and I don't mean necessarily from me, however, I can tell you that to get my recommendation you first need to spend a year or so on the forum, then we can talk.

Belt is the superior drivetrain overall between belt and shaft, but you need to be careful with them, little stones will snap the belts in an instant. Isn't the Sport a brushed model? Not exactly going to set the world alight. Anyway, if you're running anywhere other than a track or drifting in fairly clean multi storey car parks, or sweeping before you run, sooner rather than later you will have belt problems. I think you'd be better off sticking with shaft for now. Belt is for dedicated drifters and dedicated racers and not much else.
    Last edited by Foxy; 12-11-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I wasn't hoping on becoming a mod just yet, like I said, im still a noob here :L the Tc4 is out of the equation, don't want another tt01/e/r/d/er or anything like that, the flux 2 looks really great and if I only ran it at the club and used my tt01 for bashing.. what do you think? the guys at the club don't piss about they all have castle pro combos worth more than my car already but they cant use all the power in carpet season :L suckers! what do I do?...
    Ride Or Die, Remember?
    R.I.P Paul Walker - 2013

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ouring-Car-Kit

Obviously I'm kidding, but what else is there...

The Sprint 2 flux is no race car, and if you thought your buds couldn't put their power down, wait til you try the Flux with the 4 pole motor. And it has the weakness of belts...it's an insanely overpowered, very pretty car park runner.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator