Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New controller recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 02:26 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New controller recommendations

Hey guys. I've looking to get a new controller as my current TQi failed.
to replace it with another TQi I'm looking at about $80 and I've been eyeing of the Flysky FS it4 and that's in the $180 price range, but reading up on them... Some people have had some reliability issues and binding issues.

whats a good controller that is at least 3ch?

and ideally 3 posi switch on the 3rd CH with end points aswell?
Old 12-15-2013, 04:30 AM
phmaximus

Hummmm... After some research I'm seriously considering getting a Flysky GTB3c then hacking it....
Old 12-15-2013, 04:44 AM
R32GolfTA06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I've hit a nice simple fs gt2 and have never had any us sues with it at all
Old 12-15-2013, 07:42 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been looking at the GT3C as well. Mainly for the extra adjustments you get, over the GT2, which I have two of. I like only having FOUR AAs instead of EIGHT.

So you've heard the the FlySky touchscreen radio has some issues? That's too bad. That's a pretty slick-looking radio too.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:55 AM
blvdbuzzard

I have had the FS-IT4 for almost 3 weeks now. I have not had an issue with it. I have been working with it and just learning how to program it. It does a lot, just need to figure out how to do it. The main issue I have is that you have to re-bind every time you change Rx's. There are two work a rounds for this. Leave the bind plug in and just hit 2 more button when you power on the car. Install a micro switch in the bind plug and turn it on and off as needed. I have two trucks and will be installing the micro switches in the bind plugs. Yes it is a pain but not really that much more to do.

I will be receiving the GT3C next week. The C version has a few issues resolved from the B version. I too have been reading up on the B and C versions. I will be looking to see if the one I am getting has the steering wheel bearing and power switch mods done. They are suppose to be on the C versions. I will be doing a few mods to this radio for my brother.

I know you are in Australia, so this is for reference. This is the radio I ordered for my brother.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-ct3c-3...lcd-green.html

This is the one I have.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-it4-to...io-orange.html

I picked it up with their hoilday20 discount code. So it was $113.00 to the door.

There is another one out there that might interest you. As I was reading up on the GT3C, I was reading about this one too.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...io_System.html

Buzz.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:32 AM
EXT2Rob

Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard
I have had the FS-IT4 for almost 3 weeks now. I have not had an issue with it. I have been working with it and just learning how to program it. It does a lot, just need to figure out how to do it. The main issue I have is that you have to re-bind every time you change Rx's. There are two work a rounds for this. Leave the bind plug in and just hit 2 more button when you power on the car. Install a micro switch in the bind plug and turn it on and off as needed. I have two trucks and will be installing the micro switches in the bind plugs. Yes it is a pain but not really that much more to do.
Wait...what? Are you saying that every time you change CARS you have to re-bind that car's receiver to the transmitter?? IF that's the case, then what the hell good is a radio that is supposed to handle multiple cars, where you have to re-bind them every time?? That's a MAJOR FLAW! No way would I buy that radio.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:25 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife has had the FS-GT3b for about 3 years before it started acting up, bought her the FS-GT3c and was happy but have heard from friends that the power button will eventually fail. There is a quick fix, I am told, and it could go bad right away for be fine for a while. Guess we'll cross that brisge when it happens, but, for now,it is a very sweet radio!
Old 12-15-2013, 05:08 PM
blvdbuzzard

EXT, the Tx holds 20 memory slots for the cars. For what ever reason, when you switch Rx's, they need to be re-bound. No idea what they were thinking. Now, if you have 5 Rx's, from what I have read, you can bind all 5 at the same time and then you will not have to re-bind each time. Its not a bug, its a feature, yeah right. Makes no sense to me either. So, with the bind plug kept in the the Rx. it is two button presses more. That is it. In the menu, you go to Rx setup, press bind, select OK, you are done. Takes abut 5 seconds to do. I have read where they have soldered in a micro switch and turn it on and off too.

They are suppose to be coming out with an update to change this. No one has an idea when it will be out. There is suppose to be a version where you select the old signal set and this also eliminates the need to re bind. Other then this the radio is a blast. Has a ton of stuff to mess with.

Looking forward to getting my hands on a GT3C and see if it is worth the $50.00. I need to make sure it has the bearing and power button mods done.

Buzz.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:49 PM
phmaximus

Well so far I'm likening the GT3c over the GT3b because of the ball bearing, weight and the way it uses a 1cell lipo
I think the power button is not that big of a issue as I know how to fix that... I don't mind problems that can be fixed its the problems that can be that worries me

I do like the idea of buying the hack kit for $25 and been able to have 8 channels and dual ESC mixing and 4 wheel steering mixing on the Gt3b and GT3c

But then the it4 has 4 ch and can do all that with more easily accessible controls.
but he glitch issue and the binding issue... I've got 13 vehicles...

I might hold off on the it4 and get a GT3c, with any luck they might release a it4b or something
Old 12-15-2013, 10:27 PM
EXT2Rob

Yeah, there you go. A refreshed it4 - an it4b, as you said - might be worth waiting for, Specially at $149. I'll take the GT3C for $49, Alex!
What's this about a $25 "hack kit"?

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 12-15-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:16 PM
phmaximus

Ahhh.... Its a nifty little tool that allows u to connect the controller to a PC so u can update the firmwear with come custom one people have made.... It's very impressive.

Check out this link...it apparently works with both the GT3b and GT3c.
I can't believe sow clever some people are...this would have to be the all time greatest controller mod.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/elect...er-thread.html

here is a link to the hack kit... Requires slight modding to the controller...
http://overkillrc.3dcartstores.com
Old 12-16-2013, 05:30 PM
phmaximus

Only thing I'm still yet to find out. I was reading that some people don't find the controllers steering very smoothe for racing.

so my mission for the next day or so is to find out more.
i want to know is it user error with bad steering rates?
Is this complaint only lilited to the GT3b because it doesn't have a ball bearing?
Are maby these people talking out there.....?
or is there a genuine problem? If so, what is it?

Ill defiantly be be getting a controller soon, but I'm not rushing into it this time.

so far this GTBc is extremely cheap and with the $25 hack kit, it will be a very impressive controller
8 channels sounds very cool... I could easily use 4 of them straight away with a twin steer, twin motor MOA truck... Then I could run front and back winches, and use the other to for... Dreaded LED controllers..... Or bugger the winches and LED's.... I could mount a Heng Long tank turret and gun..... He he he he.... I feel like a child some days..imagine a high speed buggy with a shooting tank turret for annoying golfers?

but... I'm interested what other things are out there for $180??
Old 12-16-2013, 05:37 PM
blvdbuzzard

I have been looking at the GT3C for my brother. I have all of the firmware programs on my PC. I will be checking to make sure the C has the BB, power button mods all ready done. I will wait and see if he wants to flash it for the improved programming.

I have been having a good time with my T4i . It has not glitch or given any type of issue. I have the bind plugs in the Rx's so it is not an issue any more. I turn on the Tx. select the model, turn on the car, horn sounds, Rx setup, hit bind, hit OK, done. Takes about 5 seconds and you are good to go. Yes I do agree, it should be just the model selection and go. Nothing is perfect.

I may get a C also just to mod. Paint it up, do the flash, have fun. It is hard to pass up for $50.00 or just get it all done ready to go from overkill.com.

http://overkillrc.3dcartstores.com/F...GT3C_p_12.html

Buzz,
Old 12-16-2013, 08:32 PM
phmaximus

From what I've been reading the GT3c comes factory with a ball bearing.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:32 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know me, always making recommendations outside people's budget, but then you also know I have my reasons (buying quality is never wasted money imo). The best controller per dollar at the moment is the Futaba 4PLS. That's why I bought one myself. It arrived today.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:04 AM
phmaximus

On that's what I really want... Someday... Maybe when the kids grow up.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:47 AM
blvdbuzzard

I was dreaming of an Airtronics M12.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-471-dry.html#

Then I saw my bank account. NOPE, not for a while now.

I was reading that the C comes with the bearing too, but a few said it did not? I also read where they say some had the power button mod done too. So I will check both to make sure. It should be here today. Ordered it Saturday and get it today.

I will give my opinion on how I feel about the stock C and the iT4. I can use both and see what I like about each of them.

Buzz.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:14 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the FS GT3c, and I like it.
Easier to navigate the menus than the GT3b
Lighter due to the Lipo battery pack.
A bit better looking IMO

I do wish that the 3rd channel could act as a 3 position switch. But other than that, It has every thing I could want.
I used to have a single FS GT2, bound to 3-5 models. so I would have to adjust the trims every time I switched models.
Now I have a radio that can use $10 receivers that has 10 model memory, ABS, expo, endpoints, duel rates ect.
The FS GT3c comes with NO manual (tho you can download) but it was pretty easy to figure out.

I do sort of wish it came with a wall charger. It comes with a USB cable so you can charge off a computer/laptop ect. Battery life is several hours, but it would still be nice to have the option to charge from a standard outlet.

One potential negative, that lipo battery means the bottom is light. Last race night, I set it on the table and it tipped over....off the table and hit the floor. No damage but it did make me cringe! so just be careful where you put it down. I had bumped the table so it was my fault, but a radio with heavier "AA" batts wouldn't have tipped over from the table wiggle.

But for $60 I couldn't be happier!
Old 12-17-2013, 02:26 PM
phmaximus

Cool man, thanks heaps for the info.

Hey I think with the hack there was mention of a 3 posi switch
Old 12-17-2013, 04:33 PM
blvdbuzzard

I have had the iT4 for a couple weeks now. I have setup my two cars on it. I like the way it sits in my hand, the grip is comfy. The program navigation is super easy. What could be hard about the touch screen, see it tap it, slide it done. It has a good interface. Simple to use. Only draw back is the bind issue. I leave the bind plug in and have now worries. A couple extra taps and I am on the ground running.

I just received the GT3C today. I have removed the steering wheel, checked that it in fact has the bearing mod and the power button mods all ready done, plus it has the lipo mod too. I am trying to charge it right now on the PC I am typing on, WIN7 does not recognize it. Now I need to figure that one out. It also fits well in your hand. It is very lite weight. I have setup one car with it. Just bounce around the menu's. They are not hard by any stretch, yet not as easy as the iT4. The enter/scroll wheel is sticky. I will look at that. You press it for "enter" and it does not snap back. It may work better after some use.

So far either will be a good radio with lots of features. Yet I do like the iT4 better. Might be that I had it first. HHMMM Not sure. The 3 digit naming on the GT3C compared to 13 digits for the iT4.

I am going to try one of those USB chargers. The small round thing you plug in the wall then plug a USB cable in. Maybe they will charge it?

I would be happy with either radio. Both have more features then I will use. From what I see, the GT3B is not even close to the GT3C, the C comes with 3 mods done for you.

Buzz.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:04 PM
blvdbuzzard

R.T.F.M.!!!!!!!!

Well I tried to setup the GT3C with VRC Pro. It was not recognized with the standard Micro USB cable. Well after reading the manual, AKA web search, I found out why it has a standard micro USB cable, USB to 3.5mm head phone jack, male USB to female 3.5mm head phone jack.

The USB end of the head phone jack has a circuit in side of it. Once you plug that in, WIN7 sees it as a USD input device. Plug the USB to to 3.5 into the desktop, plug the 3.5 to MALE USB int tor 3.5, plug standard USB cable into the MALE USB, then plug micro USB end into Tx. So it takes (3) cables to get the VRC Pro to see the GT3C.

Looks like the stand USB is for charging only. When it plugged into the desktop, red LED lights up. Will see if the voltage goes up while it is off.

Another plus for the iT4. No issues with WIN7 or VRC Pro. As plug and pray as it gets.

Buzz.