Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Question decent beginner car for my 7yo daughter

My daughter is 7 and loves my rc cars, I havea Helion Dominous 10tr and a traxxas SMaxx 2.5r. I want to get her one shecan drive around with me, we have a big yard and gravel driveway but weare in MN so it is cold and wet right now so I would like one she could also drive around the house without much trouble... I was thinking like a losi mini t or something like that maybe a little bigger, but I am so unsure cause I dont have a whole ton of experience in rc. Any good ideas that might fit our needs? My price range is $75-125.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Vaterra Kalahari, or Kemorra can currently find em on ebay for $130ish shipped ( they are going up in price they were $118 3 weeks ago when I got mine)
    Vaterra is owned by Horizon hobbies, who also owns Losi so its not a fly by night company
    Vehicles were originally around $300, and are based on the mini 8ight. They have been discontinued, but as mini 8ight parts fit (or so I was told I've not broke mine yet) there will be no issues
    Its 1/14th scale RTR 4wd Brushless, with a 2.4ghz radio(Spectrum Dx2L), even comes with batteries, and a semi decent charger(well in comparison to other RTR chargers best one I got yet in one). It might be 1/14th scale but its wheelbase is almost the same as my 1/10th scale buggy.
    Currently its the best bang for your buck.

Other RC's Tamiya DF-02 great 1st RC, costs $130ish for the kit, but willneed batteries, servo, paint and a radio(and a UBEC which is like $7).
    ECX which are $175ish
    But the 2 Vaterras are the only thing really completely near your budget

hmm just read also indoor... Brushless indoor might be a tad overkill
    honestly the losi's minis that use AM radios are terrible and can barely go 5-10 feet without glitching (I own a micro high roller) also they would be abysmal outside.

HPI Mini recon then? its semi fragile (rims break easy), but its brushed 1/18th scale. around $120 I have one that I totaled on the 2nd run cause parts prices were semi ludicrous(I popped a brushless setup into it)

Maybe could find a used wheely king if you need it slower could get the WK Gear Reduction unit that cuts its input 1:7.4

BTW this is all just my opinion on things onlything I don't own that I mentioned are the ECX RC's(another brand Horizon owns)
    Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 12-20-2013 at 10:56 PM.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

I just looked at the kalahari, it does look good I am gonna search some reviews on it as well. I am also looking at the duratrax evader, it looks good as well...the indoor part doesn't matter too much as long as the car/truck is water proof, winter bashing is fun as hell anyway. I was looking at the mini recon, but I know she will crash it a ton right away. Tamiya has some good stuff but being a christmas present I don't want to make her wait while we assemble it...lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I'd go with the Evader if I were you. It has Stress Tech parts and a guarantee if you break something in a specific time period, they will send you a replacement; no Qs asked.

http://www.nitrorcx.com/03c101-mini-...t-red-rtr.html Exceed rc 1/18 scale very durable and comes with a brushed system and lipo battery with charger quick too. $69.95
    http://www.nitrorcx.com/1exrcdrcarbr.html Exceed rc 1/18 drift car brushless system with lipo battery and charger very quick and similar to the HPI RS4 $107.62
    If these don't please you this is a good one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LWH908&P=1 they improved it greatly much tougher
    All these cars are 100% ready to run
    nitrorcx has many more models to choose from she will definitely see something she likes and at on a budget too

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by RCFanatic911 View Post
    http://www.nitrorcx.com/03c101-mini-...t-red-rtr.html Exceed rc 1/18 scale very durable and comes with a brushed system and lipo battery with charger quick too. $69.95
    http://www.nitrorcx.com/1exrcdrcarbr.html Exceed rc 1/18 drift car brushless system with lipo battery and charger very quick and similar to the HPI RS4 $107.62
    If these don't please you this is a good one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LWH908&P=1 they improved it greatly much tougher
    All these cars are 100% ready to run
    nitrorcx has many more models to choose from she will definitely see something she likes and at on a budget too
    They didn't improve crap on the recon lol Will say its probably above anything exceed sells though(not saying much)

The RC18B (not the B2) is also a extremely solid vehicle if you can find it. (got this after my recon broke)

Thanks for all the great advice, looking into the Vaterra kalahari and the Duratrax evader ext. I will likely make my decision tomorrow, I am gonna check the hobby shop to see what they have before I order anything just incase they have one of them instock. Its weird that the mini recon is crap, I have heard nothing but good about HPI.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by razorofpow View Post
    Thanks for all the great advice, looking into the Vaterra kalahari and the Duratrax evader ext. I will likely make my decision tomorrow, I am gonna check the hobby shop to see what they have before I order anything just incase they have one of them instock. Its weird that the mini recon is crap, I have heard nothing but good about HPI.
    yea... that was HPI of yesteryear
    I used to be a huge HPI fan(hell I own currently have 5 RC's in running order, and enough spare parts that I could make another 3 or 4), but honestly the last few RC's I bought from them were humungous letdowns. Basically their quality slipped pretty bad although they do get a few quality RC's now and then (usually based on old RC's though). Most the ones that have issues are the ones they buy off other companies.
    Brama 10B for example was sold through them, and was a $200 turd that all the upgrades in the world couldn't help(trust me I dumped $120 into it trying to make it not suck, and ended up just throwing it in the trashcan) as they wouldn't release a good chassis, or diff gear(seriously it only needed 2 parts to be a decent RC... and HPI said they wouldn't improve it or offer options...).
    Recon design again from a different company but from my understanding the original version was stronger, and made better... There are others like the hyper fragile Trophy line(I have not owned on personally as I owned the 2 prior and lost my faith so I'm just going by what owners said) that most people had to spend half the vehicles cost in buying parts from other manufacturers, and jury rigging them to the HPI branded vehicle to get it to hold together.
    Now things like the WR8 I heard are decent as it seems anything based of one of their old vehicles are still ok.
    But that is how I feel, about it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If you can find the Kalahari for $100-$150, then get that. best value right now, nice speed, durable, fun to drive, cool looking ect.
    A cheaper option (which I still like) is the redcat tremor. For the most part, it is like any other 1/18 brushed RC...except that it comes with a Li-ion battery instead of a nimh battery. So it has better punch and acceleration than most. it is 4wd. can be had for $90 shipped.

the Kalahari is much better and worth the extra $30. It uses a standard 1/18 scale battery, is waterproof and faster. It handles better (its a bit bigger) and is likely to have better aftermarket support.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,