Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

redcat tornado s30

I got a new car for holidays. Ive upgraded the shock towers. Car runs great after breaking it in. I have two problems i keep breaking the cheap plastic rims. Maybe because its cold. Lastly the grub screw that goes on front drive shaft from transmission keeps flying out. I hope lock tight works this time. Any advice?

Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hi n welcome.

Threadlock is the trick for the grub screws. Generally it should be applied to every metal to metal fastener on the car (and rarely is from the factory).
    Down with the crew known to pump up the bass...
    We rock the joint at a cool, steady pace.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    And, if the grub screw tightens onto a flat spot, it helps to flatten the end of the grub to give more surface to hold to.
    \"Prime it, Pull it, Pound it\"

that did the trick. But know i think the rearend is blown. Does not spin. In you rotate the rear wheels the drive shaft does not rotate. One going to transmission

The plastic is most likely breaking because its cold out and is generally stiffer. but you should try to make something to support some how not a lot of hop ups available for that car.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Check all the grub screws in drive shaft cups they may hace backed off as well

Okay wound up being the grub screws on rear drive cup was backed off. Everything is thread locked now. Actually i can replace everything on this car with aluminum parts. I did the shock tower upgrade the stock one bent jumping only a foot. You can get old part number and being its redcat cross reference it with hsp. Order hsp parts from china for 1/4 of the price!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ya cant go wrong with the cost of replacement parts just paid $8.00 for a rear diff for my Volcano after about 4 years ive only killes a couple a arms and a few rims what i liked about the red cat is the engine buy back program $80.00 for a fresh engine cant go wrong at all

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I'm having the same problem with these cheap plastic rims. The hex nut keeps spinning out the plastic rim. The hex nut is about a 1/2 inch long but it only goes into the rim about 1/16 of an inch. That is just way to much stress to be putting on plastic rims. I'd like to know why redcat doesn't develope a rim that the hex nut sets deeper into the rim? Is there a aluminum rim available for this truck? It is a 12 mm hex nut. I don't want to change the size of the tires though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by chumly222 View Post
    I'm having the same problem with these cheap plastic rims. The hex nut keeps spinning out the plastic rim. The hex nut is about a 1/2 inch long but it only goes into the rim about 1/16 of an inch. That is just way to much stress to be putting on plastic rims. I'd like to know why redcat doesn't develope a rim that the hex nut sets deeper into the rim? Is there a aluminum rim available for this truck? It is a 12 mm hex nut. I don't want to change the size of the tires though.
    get the alloy 12mm hex. if the plastic hex strips, it usually strips out the wheel.
    also, glue a plastic hex into the stripped wheels (super glue, I like the gel type) so you can keep using them.

the redcats are not the highest grade (that's why they cost less) but a little Loctite here, some grease there and checking all the hardware can keep them going for a long time.
    don't forget to put some small pieces of fuel tubing on the output cup of the front diff. that will reduce the play on the front driveshafts, and keep them from poping out or binding when the wheels are fully turned.
    Oh, and buy a decent steering servo. the stock ones are weak.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    oh, might also help to buy some other wheel nuts. even tho the stock ones are lock nuts, I often had mine loosen up. when they get loose, the chance of damage to the wheel/hex is much greater. I think the rubber part of the lock nut is better with other brands. they are a normal size, so hpi/traxxas ect brand ones will work.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,