Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What was the worst RC accident you've had?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What was the worst RC accident you've had?

Old 01-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Real life full size story.

Went to Boston and purchased the first 1968 Corvette on the East Coast.

Six days later while driving home at 4:00 AM from girlfriends house, I fell asleep. Managed to take out 4 concrete guard rails and then hit a telephone pole, bouncing back into the middle of the road.

Needless to say the Vette was totaled. Car was so new that insurance company just wrote me a check for the sticker price. General Motors also wanted the car back, so that they could study it.

To me, just a small cut on inside of lip and a couple of bruised ribs. People said that if the car was steel, that I would be a dead man, but being fiberglass, it just seemed to explode, absorbing the impact.

That's my worst crash.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:59 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Granpooba

Six days later while driving home at 4:00 AM from girlfriends house, I fell asleep. Managed to take out 4 concrete guard rails and then hit a telephone pole, bouncing back into the middle of the road.

Needless to say the Vette was totaled. Car was so new that insurance company just wrote me a check for the sticker price. General Motors also wanted the car back, so that they could study it.

To me, just a small cut on inside of lip and a couple of bruised ribs. People said that if the car was steel, that I would be a dead man, but being fiberglass, it just seemed to explode, absorbing the impact.

That's my worst crash.
Says RC
Old 01-12-2014, 02:56 AM
R32GolfTA06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My worst one was.. My nitro Toyota corolla was going at full power and the receiver battery died. The throttle remained open and the car went full speed into a curb, I've never seen so much of a mess!
Old 01-12-2014, 06:03 AM
MrShinyPig

Originally Posted by R32GolfTA06
My worst one was.. My nitro Toyota corolla was going at full power and the receiver battery died. The throttle remained open and the car went full speed into a curb, I've never seen so much of a mess!
Fail safe failed?
Old 01-12-2014, 11:54 AM
R32GolfTA06

Originally Posted by MrShinyPig
Fail safe failed?

I don't think it had one, It was one I bought like 15 years ago
Old 01-12-2014, 11:54 AM
R32GolfTA06

That's my worst crash.
nice story, glad you are came out of it ok though, any rc crash stories?
Old 01-12-2014, 02:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by MrShinyPig
Fail safe failed?
failsafes are for radio failures not battery(well the ones I owned which caused accidents when they glitched). that is what throttle return springs are for.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:12 PM
Cool_cris27

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heres a funny story kind of nothing broke but it was funny. So i was a track with my nitro buggy and this dumb ass lady runs across the track like an idiot i didnt seem to mind at first but then i was going to hit a jump at like half throttle it goes up in the air and nails the chick right in her thigh. she had to limp her way out of the track. I tried to hold my laugh in but i couldnt. The guys next to me said "good job" lol.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:31 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Oh geez. I have a non RC related crash that happened today. We had a club rocket launch, and on team 3s rocket's cord came out, and the whole rear section fell off. It spiraled into the ground; and landed like a lawn dart, undamaged too. It was the most amazing model rocket launch I've ever seen.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:17 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by collector1231
Oh geez. I have a non RC related crash that happened today. We had a club rocket launch, and on team 3s rocket's cord came out, and the whole rear section fell off. It spiraled into the ground; and landed like a lawn dart, undamaged too. It was the most amazing model rocket launch I've ever seen.
ahh model rocketry remember when I was into that many many years ago (no where near suitable to launch em for miles now)
had a 3 stage rocket remember launching it within literally 2 seconds couldn't see it anymore then like a minute later I suddenly just saw a fin sticking out of the ground. It went about half a foot under the ground(to the point the fins connected to it). Needless to say the rocket was trashed as the tube itself was partially crushed from the force it hit. As there was no engines in it or near it I'm guessing it flew to max height then plummeted back down after ejecting the last engine instead of launching the recovery equipment.

Also made a Klingon D7 Battle cruiser rocket that did a giant U turn into the ground at full speed that got totaled. I kinda quit rocketry after that(and as getting engines got a lot harder in the area)
Old 01-16-2014, 05:49 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Drove my Jato at about 60 mph right into a fence post. Broke just about every piece all the way back to the engine, also bending the frame. Cost me about 140 in new parts to rebuild everything that broke. Never made that mistake again. Knock on wood.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:50 AM
MrShinyPig

Well, not a bad crash, but just today my shell arrived, custom painted nd custom decals, crashed it within the hour, bigass crack on the front going all the way to the roof
Old 01-16-2014, 12:12 PM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Part of the reason you didn't get hurt is because you were asleep. When you are asleep your body doesn't tense up when you sense the impact coming and you are then able to absorb it better. I also ran head on into a vehicle after I fell asleep and crossed the center line. His vehicle hit me and went up and over the roof on the driver side and flipped, I spun 3 times around, cars were totaled. My shoes were embedded into the floor board and dash was wrapped around my legs but i walked away also with just bruised ribs no cuts, from colapsing the steering column with my chest. I think being asleep in a crash would always result in the least damage to your body.

That's my worst crash.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:16 PM
R32GolfTA06

Originally Posted by mattster1971
Part of the reason you didn't get hurt is because you were asleep. When you are asleep your body doesn't tense up when you sense the impact coming and you are then able to absorb it better. I also ran head on into a vehicle after I fell asleep and crossed the center line. His vehicle hit me and went up and over the roof on the driver side and flipped, I spun 3 times around, cars were totaled. My shoes were embedded into the floor board and dash was wrapped around my legs but i walked away also with just bruised ribs no cuts, from colapsing the steering column with my chest. I think being asleep in a crash would always result in the least damage to your body.

That sounds horrific, glad you only got bruised!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:20 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a electric powered Bipe and lost power about 15ft off the ground in a vertical climb. No time to recover from the ensuing stall.
Didn't look too bad until I saw shattered structure members in the fuselage and wing tube torn out of the wings, with broken ribs and so forth.
Salvaged what was useful, bought another ARF of the same plane, since it was less than the cost of repair parts, and, when there is enough time, I'll add the electronics and battery sometime this spring. Glad I bought before it was discontinued

The cause was a forced takeoff with a known low battery. I had landed, and was going to over run the landing zone, and end up in the brush if I didn't try a go around. We think that the ESC cut power, due to the 3.2v low voltage under load limit. The servos, motor and electronics, including the battery survived. There was a semi-soft foam pad in front of the battery that seems to have saved it.
(Rhapsody 25 ARF)
Old 01-16-2014, 07:28 PM
Cool_cris27

a while back id say 2005 maybe. I was bashing around at a park with my nitro buggy and theres like a soccer field there but its like elevated ground so all around the field was basically a ramp. so i drove my car full throttle i miss calculated and hits the metal goalie post full throttle in mid air it completely tore out my left front arm and wheel and everything was completely wiped out out. Lesson learned...
Old 01-16-2014, 07:34 PM
August N

Check my video see how my Supercharge Dark wing got accident.
it is 12S batteries, Ice ESC160 and Scorpion Motor ultimate, I call it supper charge because this bird is costly and the noise is unbelievable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwOeAy_jpvE
Old 01-18-2014, 09:45 AM
R32GolfTA06

what did the plane actually hit?
Old 01-19-2014, 10:00 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

There's another story I've just read on the news that happens in NY city.
This one kid flying his heli I believe he's using align 700, the heli went out of control
and the heli went toward and and hit him...... he died. Here's the detail
GRAVESEND — A 19-year-old model helicopter enthusiast was killed when his toy aircraft crashed into his head in Brooklyn Thursday afternoon in front of his stunned father, sources said.
Roman Pirozek, 19, of Woodhaven, was flying his radio-controlled chopper near the Calvert Vaux Park at Bay 44th Street and Shore Boulevard shortly after 3 p.m. when the helicopter lost control and veered into his head, sources said.
One of the helicopter's propeller blades sliced off a piece of his skull, sources said. He was declared dead at the scene, according to the FDNY.
Sources said Pirozek was flying his helicopter with his father, Roman Pirozek Sr., a retired MTA worker who relatives said introduced him to model airplanes at a very young age. Pirozek's interest later migrated to radio-controlled helicopters, and he traveled around the country to model helicopter conferences, where he and other buffs traded tips on the best gear and techniques, according to his Facebook page.
"Great day for flying, the new frame brace is working great, breaking in some new packs i just got [sic], they are the best that I have flown so far and loving them," Pirozek wrote on his Facebook page Aug. 25, after posting two photos of a sleek model helicopter as part of a conference for the radio-controlled helicopter maker Align Corporation in Delaware.
Relatives were reeling from the news on Thursday.
"My parents called and said that he had gotten into an accident," said Pirozek's sister, Amy Pirozek, 17. "They didn't know if he would be okay. I just knew."
Amy Pirozek said her brother, who was the vice president of the Seaview Rotary Flying Club, was fiercely devoted to his hobby.
His Facebook page was blanketed with photos and comments about his helicopter, including the most recent post last week.
Amy Pirozek said she last saw her brother Thursday morning when she arranged to have him give her a lift to softball practice at 4 p.m.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:23 AM
Cool_cris27

Oh yeah i remember hearing about that. It was like a father son thing they did and its sucks to have that happen. At least he died doing something he loved if you look on the bright side of things RIP
Old 01-20-2014, 08:45 PM
rcguy1411

New gf saw my OFNA Monster Pirates and said how cute lol can i drive one someday i said shure ( gf that might get into rc =sweet) so it was a nice spring day and she said lets take your trucks out i was all in so got one running and let her get used to it she did well for a first tummer after a tank or two i fired up my second truck and we chased each other around for a bit then it happened i was comming in to pit and refuel and she t boned my truck full throttle parts wgent eveywhere she was horrified i was devistated lol cleanned the front suspension out of truck she was driving and well mine had the engine trany and front end ripped clean off the mach .28 was in four pices and the chasie was twisted to this day she wont drive any of my trucks
Old 02-05-2014, 09:32 AM
jkdv8

You plane guys should devise a setup to deploy a parachute when things go awry. Not only is the plane a huge investment but the time spent building.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:04 PM
collector1231

That might just work for cars, too. LOL!
Old 02-08-2014, 01:53 PM
aminnich

I drove my hpi blitz, for those of you who don't know, it doesn't move very quickly. I was driving it in an indoor track. Decided to jump the wrong way and crashed into a concrete wall. Lets just say the front bumper didn't help and neither did that fact that it was freezing inside. Plastic breaks a lot easier when cold. Basically everything broke in the front except the wheels and shocks, everything else was either busted or chipped. I was not happy, but the hobby shop was with an easy $70 for not keeping there track warm.