Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Why did my pinion gear strip?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 05:43 PM
rustler5700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why did my pinion gear strip?

Originally I had a 12t robinson racing pinion with a integy 58t spur and everything worked just fine. Then I put a 10t pinion in, because of possible temp issues, Then it stripped. I am pretty the gear mesh was right, I adjusted it after the switch. I have a 5700kv motor with a 3s lipo. The gears are 32p. My gearbox is original, only the idler gear has been upgraded.

Rustler
Old 01-18-2014, 06:07 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

generally they strip from incorrect gearmesh of the motor screws coming loose.

I can only assume u are talking about a Traxxas Rustler by ur user name

If that's the case I would recommend replacing the stock motor screws with some flat head screws with some washers.

If u want a stronger mount, check out the STRC motor mount for the 2wd slash.

aluminum motor heat sink plate. CNC Machined from high-grade aluminium to fit perfectly into the contour of the Slash 2wd motor mounting area, this plate helps support the plastic transmission/motor mounting area on the Slash 2wd transmission case and help dissipate heat better

Or a RPM gearbox
Old 01-19-2014, 07:01 AM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason it stripped is likely due to a) it was meshed wrong, or b) you are using a metal spur. The problem with metal spur gears is that ultimately either the pinion or the spur is going to be made out of a slightly harder metal (just like how from the factory the plastic spur is meant to be softer than the metal pinion), meaning that if it isn't meshed just right, the harder gear will begin to eat the softer one, slowly stripping it. This is why in most cases metal spurs are a waste of money. Good luck with it, whatever the issue.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:06 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends either the gear pitch was off slightly, the pinion was made of a softer metal (I've had pinions turn into perfectly flat metal wheels in seconds), mesh was off, or a combo of any, or all of them.

For the record I've seen metal pinions strip while on plastic spurs...not all pinions are made equal.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:40 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Traxxas 2wd vehicles use the spur gear as a weak point to save the internal gears and pinion gear from damage. Its especially designed to be replaced very easily...
Its literally 2 screws on the gear cover then 3 screws hold the gear. U don't even need to touch the slipper adjustment and 9 times out of ten u don't have to adjust the gear mesh.

3000-5700kv setups on 2s or 3s should not have any problems with the stock spur gear. and a steel gear will only add to the rotating mass to.

my recommendation would be to use a genuine Traxxas or another robinson racing pinion and a genuine Traxxas spur

or if u are running some crazy setup that's twisting axles and stripping gears just a metal spur wont cut it. I would recommend the robinson racing gen3 slipper clutch and steel gear.

just wondering were the motor mounts loose?