Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why did my pinion gear strip?

Originally I had a 12t robinson racing pinion with a integy 58t spur and everything worked just fine. Then I put a 10t pinion in, because of possible temp issues, Then it stripped. I am pretty the gear mesh was right, I adjusted it after the switch. I have a 5700kv motor with a 3s lipo. The gears are 32p. My gearbox is original, only the idler gear has been upgraded.

Rustler
    The superior person uses his mind like a mirror: it accepts all, it reflects all, It recieves, but it does not keep.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    generally they strip from incorrect gearmesh of the motor screws coming loose.

I can only assume u are talking about a Traxxas Rustler by ur user name

If that's the case I would recommend replacing the stock motor screws with some flat head screws with some washers.

If u want a stronger mount, check out the STRC motor mount for the 2wd slash.

aluminum motor heat sink plate. CNC Machined from high-grade aluminium to fit perfectly into the contour of the Slash 2wd motor mounting area, this plate helps support the plastic transmission/motor mounting area on the Slash 2wd transmission case and help dissipate heat better

Or a RPM gearbox
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The reason it stripped is likely due to a) it was meshed wrong, or b) you are using a metal spur. The problem with metal spur gears is that ultimately either the pinion or the spur is going to be made out of a slightly harder metal (just like how from the factory the plastic spur is meant to be softer than the metal pinion), meaning that if it isn't meshed just right, the harder gear will begin to eat the softer one, slowly stripping it. This is why in most cases metal spurs are a waste of money. Good luck with it, whatever the issue.
    - Hobby Shop Employee
    - ModelKits.com & RcTruckStop.com Staff Writer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    It depends either the gear pitch was off slightly, the pinion was made of a softer metal (I've had pinions turn into perfectly flat metal wheels in seconds), mesh was off, or a combo of any, or all of them.

For the record I've seen metal pinions strip while on plastic spurs...not all pinions are made equal.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Traxxas 2wd vehicles use the spur gear as a weak point to save the internal gears and pinion gear from damage. Its especially designed to be replaced very easily...
    Its literally 2 screws on the gear cover then 3 screws hold the gear. U don't even need to touch the slipper adjustment and 9 times out of ten u don't have to adjust the gear mesh.

3000-5700kv setups on 2s or 3s should not have any problems with the stock spur gear. and a steel gear will only add to the rotating mass to.

my recommendation would be to use a genuine Traxxas or another robinson racing pinion and a genuine Traxxas spur

or if u are running some crazy setup that's twisting axles and stripping gears just a metal spur wont cut it. I would recommend the robinson racing gen3 slipper clutch and steel gear.

just wondering were the motor mounts loose?
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger