Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Almost illegal

Old 01-18-2014, 05:48 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Almost illegal

I had so much fun, it just might be.

I have been flying RC planes for, man I am old, 40 years now, helicopters for 10 years. I have had RC cars on and off for many years. I have two trucks right now. I have a Traxxas Revo 3.3 and a DHK Raz-R. Yet I have never been to an RC car track. Well I went for the first time last night. I went the SDRC Raceway in San Diego. What a great place!!!!!!!!

My brother and I both have Raz-R's. We have bashed a little here and there, mostly in our yards at family get togethers. We stated talking about going to a track. I looked and there is SDRC and CVRC. It just worked out that SDRC was closer to where we work. We were sort of worried being total newbie nut jobs, we would have problems with the long time racers and other people who can drive like their cars are on fire. Well, we walked in, put our stuff on the table, went and paid, got setup, walked around and pout the cars on the track, walked to the stands. Then the smile came out. We were not able to drive more then 20 feet without hitting something or going off the track. We were laughing and having a grand ole time. As we went around the track we started to get a little faster and better at keeping it on the track.

Brother slid into the wall and would only turn right and mine was acting strange so we pulled the cars off the track and went to the pits. We found out that we both broke or bent the dog bones. We had spares so we changed them. We pulled the batteries and put them on the chargers, put fresh batteries in the trucks and headed for the stands. We started to get a little more comfortable with all the people, cars trucks and carnage on the track. We never had an issue with the old pros with a poor driving. They just said we would get better the more we drove. Every one seemed to be having a great time.

I had the stock tires on my truck. The worked great with a dry track. After they watered the track with a hose, mine would fill up with clay and I had slicks, it was more like drifting then anything else. My brother had Gladiators and they seemed to work well no matter what. I did see almost every one else had the clay pattern tires on. I may pick up a set and see how they work for next time.

There are some very hard core people there. They roll an entire shop in for their cars. One guy had two roller boxes of parts and tools for his 2 cars. You could tell the guys who lived this for their fun. They had lights, racks, and every tool you could have. They were intense in how they setup their cars.

After tearing up (4) dog bones for me and (2) for my brother, we packed up and headed for home. It was so much fun, it might just be illegal. We are planning on going back again in 2 weeks. Just enough time to get parts and new tires. That was $15.00 well spent.

Buzz.

P.S. now looking for another truck.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:22 PM
phmaximus

he he he,,, sounds like u have a blast... I love mucking around on a track...
Ive got a rc buddy I meet online and we have been hitting a carpet track with some 2wd Slashes. and oh man its fun...
Old 01-18-2014, 06:38 PM
bleufox6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good times!
Old 01-18-2014, 09:55 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I know what you mean guys..years ago we had a Hobby Shop out in the country with a flying field, dirt track,paved oval and road course, in the winter they had a indoor carpet track! It was heaven.. you could go there rain or shine or snow and have a bunch of RC buddies to hang with... Its a pretty fun hobby as long as nobody gets TOO caught up in the competition ..this post brings back some good memories..
Old 01-22-2014, 12:23 AM
R32GolfTA06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that does sound like a lot of fun.. I have always been unsure about going to a track as im not sure of the reception I might get but it sounds like its worth a go anyways.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:17 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what you mean about "so fun, it must be illegal". And glad you guys had so much fun at the track despite your breakage.

I live on ten acres. I got my buddy hooked into RC cars, and now we have a track the cars created as we ran them around. Now it's almost a weekly event: he comes up here and we race and drink beer and just have a helluva good time all day! We each have five 5000mah lipos and two chargers each, so we never run outta power! We even have LED lights for when dusk comes. (We haven't put in course lighting. Yet.) But we both have $**7-eatin' grins on our faces all day long. What a great hobby! No tracks around here, tho. Would sure be interesting to see what it's like to drive, on a course, with a dozen other cars!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:04 PM
blvdbuzzard

R32, go see what they have to say. I was really blown away at how we were welcomed. They were happy more people were coming. They did not mind we did laps in 3 minutes and they did them in 1 minute

EXT, I too live out in the middle of no where. Were are working on getting the drain pipe, tractor, design for a track at my house. On Thanks Giving, we had the whole family out there. Nieces, nephews, Moms, Dads, Uncles. We had 3 trucks running and every one laughing. Yes we too had a fertilizer grin. .

We are going back on Feb 1st. Can't wait for more track time.

Buzz.