Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

your thoughts on the hpi savage x 4.6?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

your thoughts on the hpi savage x 4.6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 05:35 PM
dan rox 90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question your thoughts on the hpi savage x 4.6?

hi I am about to by a savage x 4.6 but I was just wondering on your thought on this 1/8 scale truck and good and bad things about it. and also if you think there is a better truck on the market then the savage x 4.6 I want nitro and I want truck and I want bashing. I've been reading through forums and they have been saying that the savage is the best car for bashing. any thoughts or comments appreciated.
thanks!

Last edited by dan rox 90; 01-24-2014 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:07 AM
dan rox 90

I have been doing more research and 3 other cars have come into mind the savage xl the associated monster gt 8.0 and the losi lst xxl. they are all great I just cant decide can anybody please help!!!
Old 01-24-2014, 03:12 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You said it yourself, they are all great nitro MTs. The Savage is arguably the most widely owned and supported.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:11 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

But the LST is the better handling and better built truck when compared to the other offerings IMO. My buddies with savages spend more time fixing them then they do running. The MGT's edge out over the savage but only barely.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:26 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Own an older Savage X, and can say only thing I had to repair was an exhaust, and my engines cooling fins, and that was after a 2 hour trip to a BMX park launching it off 15 foot high jumps and landing on concrete.
Handling isn't the best, but its supposed to be a monster truck not a Ferrari or anything, and it does handle like monster trucks do(will say taking the pre-loads out of the shocks does help the handling a little though)

1Qwik I'm curious what are they spending all that time fixing? I've replaced both diffs in my flux(was putting the BP ones in) in under an hour and to do that basically the entire thing had to be disassembled, and the flux is way harder to work on then the nitro one.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:42 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
Own an older Savage X, and can say only thing I had to repair was an exhaust, and my engines cooling fins, and that was after a 2 hour trip to a BMX park launching it off 15 foot high jumps and landing on concrete.
Handling isn't the best, but its supposed to be a monster truck not a Ferrari or anything, and it does handle like monster trucks do(will say taking the pre-loads out of the shocks does help the handling a little though)

1Qwik I'm curious what are they spending all that time fixing? I've replaced both diffs in my flux(was putting the BP ones in) in under an hour and to do that basically the entire thing had to be disassembled, and the flux is way harder to work on then the nitro one.
Two guys each have one savage. Older trucks, one with a .25 engine and one with a .28 engine. Unsure of engine make. One of them basically snapped the chassis in half and stripped a bevel gear in one diff. The other one with the .28 engine gets both diffs replaced every summer once and he cracked an engine mount from a hard landing. I don't consider those trucks as abused but they are run through the gamut for sure. I put my LST2 through the same kinds of paces and came away with a dirty air filter and a cracked front bumper support. I'm not saying the LST is bulletproof, but I think its a real contender in the durability department.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:04 PM
dan rox 90

the lst is to hard to find and too expensive tower hobbies doesn't even sell it so im liking the savage x 4.6 better also because of the price too.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:52 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Two guys each have one savage. Older trucks, one with a .25 engine and one with a .28 engine. Unsure of engine make. One of them basically snapped the chassis in half and stripped a bevel gear in one diff. The other one with the .28 engine gets both diffs replaced every summer once and he cracked an engine mount from a hard landing. I don't consider those trucks as abused but they are run through the gamut for sure. I put my LST2 through the same kinds of paces and came away with a dirty air filter and a cracked front bumper support. I'm not saying the LST is bulletproof, but I think its a real contender in the durability department.
I'm guessing they jump, and land with their throttle on, braking, or landing wrong
engine mount I have heard of cracking, but again that is some wicked abuse
.25 hardware is also quite outdated the diffs are way different in newer savages, and easier to work on

Won't lie I have seen some amazing chassis plate bending to the point I have no idea what the people did. Wish I could find pics of one I remember seeing the guy got 4 perfect 90 degree bends into his plate from hitting a street pole going top speed. I swear it looked like he took the plates, and purposely bent em.
But then again could always get the 5mm plates that have lifetime warranties to negate that. Wish I remember where I got my flux's plates from as they were extremely reasonable.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:04 AM
dan rox 90

yer I am going to buy the hpi savage x 4.6 from tower hobbies! ithink
Old 01-25-2014, 04:59 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by dan rox 90
the lst is to hard to find and too expensive tower hobbies doesn't even sell it so im liking the savage x 4.6 better also because of the price too.
Tower doesn't sell Losi stuff because......... Hobbico doesn't distribute Losi! Horizon Hobby does. Tower doesn't distribute from Horizon. Go on your favorite hobby shop website and search for LOSI and see what you get. Nothing Losi branded.

Remember, you get what you pay for. I think I paid $350 for my original Aftershock LE and I was incredibly happy with it. Already FOC, a reasonably well running 3-port .26 engine (the Aftershock pipe sucks! an HT pipe made a huge difference in how the engine performed) and the HUGE shocks handled super well. The LST and LST2 aren't made anymore, but a new LST2 can be had for the same or cheaper than a Savage X. Losi sells a conversion kit for LST1's and Aftershocks to bring them to LST2 spec minus the LST2's 2-speed spur setup which is much better than the Aftershock's 2-speed setup. High and Low range and Forward/Reverse is pretty sweet in a basher too, IMO. If you want to go fast than a FOC conversion and Gearflip mod help with speed.

If Tower is your only hobby shop, you need to come back to reality. Rccarkings.net is my local hobby shop and they sell online.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 01-25-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:46 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Tower doesn't sell Losi stuff because......... Hobbico doesn't distribute Losi! Horizon Hobby does. Tower doesn't distribute from Horizon. Go on your favorite hobby shop website and search for LOSI and see what you get. Nothing Losi branded.

Remember, you get what you pay for. Why not just buy an Exceed? Maybe a Redcat? They're cheaper yet and probably better than the Savage.

If Tower is your only hobby shop, you need to come back to reality. Rccarkings.net is my local hobby shop and they sell online.
Seriously?
You sound like some Losi pusher... Pretending their product is indestructible, while bashing the opposition. Then when the OP decides on a Savage you tell him to get a Redcat or exceed saying they are probably better...

Give your "friends" your losi to control I guarantee you will have a stripped diff as they don't sound like they know how to drive, or are putting it through way more punishment then you make it sound like.
Side note new savages have newer stronger diffs unlike the old ones.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 01-25-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:15 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
Seriously?
You sound like some Losi pusher... Pretending their product is indestructible, while bashing the opposition. Then when the OP decides on a Savage you tell him to get a Redcat or exceed saying they are probably better...

Give your "friends" your losi to control I guarantee you will have a stripped diff as they don't sound like they know how to drive, or are putting it through way more punishment then you make it sound like.
Side note new savages have newer stronger diffs unlike the old ones.
I'm no Losi pusher... Just a smartass.. I guess sarcasm is hard to read online. What did kinda get me is the OP saying he didnt find it on Tower's website and the price of the Savage is cheaper. It seemed to me the OP made his/her decision based on Tower's stock and price alone when Tower doesnt even stock/sell Losi stuff. Usually, at least from the threads I came across when I was MT shopping years ago had the usual comparos.. Savage v. MGT, or MGT v. LST, etc. Usually the LST won out over the Savage or MGT. My Savage buddies and one MGT buddy complimented after running my LST2's (smaller version of the XXL for those that dont know) how well they handled and how well the jumped and landed. They cartwheeled them, jumped and landed on the nose a few times (thus the cracked bumper support I mentioned earlier) and even jumped over a fullsize car. At the end of the day the LST was still driveable and the two Savages werent. My Army buddy with the MGT had problems keeping the ball/socket of his suspension arms together.. A few cartwheels and one corner's suspension arms were in need of replacement (ball/socket bellmouthed a bit so it wouldnt stay together anymore, this was the old .21 MGT).

I hold the LST line above most of the rest (the Revo is pretty speedy, not a fair race against an LST) because of their toughness. They aren't fast... Getting one past 40mph takes some work.. But for as fast as they are, they impress me. The Savage can be made to be fast, much faster than the LST (the 3-speed savage trans is super cool) but on a basher level I just havent seen enough evidence personally to say they are a "good" basher. I'll edit my smartass post to read a little friendlier. Sorry for that.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 01-25-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:02 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Yea sarcasm is hard to discern on the internet one reason I try and not do it much unless its insanely obvious by putting it in caps, and bold(and then people still miss it somehow). Hell even IRL people can't tell half if I'm being sincere or sarcastic(I once had someone thank me as they completely missed it where a few ppl I knew overheard and couldn't believe the person was that oblivious)

Well thing is some people like tower more as you can save a bundle if you join the club on shipping, and vehicle so can't blame that. Personally I buy as little as possible from tower, and only hit them up if they are like the only ones who have the thing in stock.

Also note he's in Australia Savage parts might be easier to get as I heard from a few HPI is pretty popular down there no idea on Losi as we would have to ask phaximus about that as I know he owns a Losi.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 01-25-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:02 PM
Phoenixangel

Thunder tiger ST-1 is built like a tank as far as durability goes. Then again it's more truggy not a monster truck. However out of the box it's race ready.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:04 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I avoid Tower at all costs if I can help it. My local shop carries all RC brands and they ship worldwide. I've found their pricing to be a good bit better than most online shops so I buy from them as much as I can.

When the XXL came out (for $649) they dropped the price of the leftover LST2's to less than a Revo ($450). So you can see I'm a bit biased; but those guys are really awesome. Hell, I grabbed a nitro rustler roller from them that never had a drop of fuel on it for $50 with servos and tires. So if a guy does enough searching, one can find what they want for a good price. Relying on Tower or AMain alone is just crazy to me. But hey, that's just my opinion.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:38 PM
dan rox 90

1qwksport your losi lst 2 is made out to be more durable then a savage because it is slower and therefore can't jumps as high as the savage and therefore break parts. with great speed come bigger repairs. the lst isn't as good as you make it out to be the xxl is ok but that is to expensive and is hard to come across in Australia. so im still sticking to the hpi savage x 4.6! and plus I heard from more people that the savage is a great car then the losi.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:01 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by dan rox 90
1qwksport your losi lst 2 is made out to be more durable then a savage because it is slower and therefore can't jumps as high as the savage and therefore break parts. with great speed come bigger repairs. the lst isn't as good as you make it out to be the xxl is ok but that is to expensive and is hard to come across in Australia. so im still sticking to the hpi savage x 4.6! and plus I heard from more people that the savage is a great car then the losi.
I can agree to disagree. But either way, I wish you the best of luck with your savage.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:04 AM
dirt101

Never been a fan of the savages, on the other hand I have owned numerous revos. A 3.3 revo with either the stock engine or an os .18 is just an awesome truck. I have also owned an MGT, which is okay if you just want that "I have a big MT" feel but the revo is definitely more fun and capable. Savage isn't a bad truck but its just not my choice. Ive only had the chance to play with the original .25 savage but I also owned the 2.5 revo at the time and wasn't impressed.

I do like LST's but cant comment as I don't have first hand experience with them and I don't do the whole, well I read about it and now im an expert kinda mumbo jumbo.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:59 PM
Burt111

Savage SS 4.6 in a heartbeat.