Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Hopefully i made the right choice

So i got tired of trying to figure out if my motor or brushless ESC was bad and bought both new. I originally had a castle 1410 4 pole 3800kv motor paired with a sidewinder sv2 esc. After posting here and testing on a friends rc i couldnt come up with a 100% conclusion so i drove an hour to the only hobby shop near me today just to find out THE GUY WAS OUT OF TOWN!!!! So kind of angry i came home and just broke down and bought a 120A hobbywing EZRUN sc8 ESC and a Tacon 3650 (4400kv) motor for my 2wd Slash. Do i make the right choice? Im really hoping and im pretty sure (not 100%) that my 3800kv 4 pole motor is GOOD so im hoping to be able to run my castle motor on the 120A esc and be good to go with 2s 5000mah 40c lipos. Let me know if i made a decent choice im completely new to this!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    You made a good choice. I would have chose a cheaper ESC, but thats just me.

I think i would have been fine with like a 60A esc from what ive been reading, but since im new i wanted to give myself a little room to be able to safley run 3s and maybe 4s eventually. But good deal its good to know that ill finally be able to try out electric.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    bit over the top for a slash. but at least you know it will take whatever you throw at it.
    MORE THAN 20 RC CARS AT THE MOMENT. BUT IM CUTTING DOWN HONEST. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by turok007 View Post
    bit over the top for a slash. but at least you know it will take whatever you throw at it.
    That was my plan anyways. Im looking at some roller truggies. Im not really too fond of the short course trucks but hey i got a steal on it. Im a truggy guy. All i gotta do is swap electronics and possibly buy a different brushless motor.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    You know for $45 Castle will repair or replace your SV2 and ship it back to you. You do have to pay for shipping it to them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive View Post
    You know for $45 Castle will repair or replace your SV2 and ship it back to you. You do have to pay for shipping it to them though.
    Yes, i have 2 sv2 esc i will eventually get replaced. I was under the impression that the EZrun 120amp is way better than the sv2's though. In fact, castle told me to cut all the wires from it and save them, and send it in and for 45$ they will replace it and upgrade it to the sv3 for free. But like i said, the Ezrun 120amp is way better and will handle much more, correct? I planned on swapping it to another rc when i get one because i really dont like short course trucks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    OK I had to chime-in here....
    I had a Castle Sv2 crap out on me too. Looking back, I think it was because we were "using up" our NiMh packs before switching to Lipo, and because NiMhs cannot produce the amps the system required, they created ripple currents in the ESC and that's what killed it. My buddy's Sv2 also died, probably for the same reason. So having gotten a bad taste for Castle, we switched to HobbyWing and never looked back. I still have the motor sitting around, and since I recently bought a truggy, I'm toying with the idea of getting a Sv3. But the little EZrun 35A 4300kv 3650M motor is working just fine in the OFNA Hyper 10TT.

You said you're a truggy guy, and you're not that infatuated with the Slash. Have you seen these?:
    http://www.nitrohouse.com/Hyper-10TT...it_p_5060.html

Says it's a kit, but it's really a roller, just install electronics and go! It's smaller than a Slash, overall length is about 14in. So it's more in the 1/12th scale range than the big 1/10th trucks like a Slash. (Which personally, I like. I thought the Slash was too big for my small RC "shop". My other car is an Evader.) High-quality nitro-based platform, aluminum chassis, shocks don't leak (and come with boots!), big 32-pitch gears. It's built like a 1/8th scale buggy, but smaller. Good deal at $189.
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    EXT2Rob the ripple is only cause they used insufficient capacitors to cut cost. Why after a while they started selling cap packs for $25... Never heard of another brand ESC affected by the ripple as much as CC's are.

As to the OP I run the SC8 in my pede 4x4 (was a slash 4X4) that I modded more into a truggy/ST as I slapped in the optional center diff, and run ST tires on it off of a HPI bullet with a ST body. My motor is some cheap Hobbyking 3500kv 100A motor cause I tried running the 60A Hobbywing ESC/motor(it was the 4000kv motor, and was more likely really over geared) when it was a slash and that sucker got very hot...

Will say though castle does have some nice motors that I will not deny, but their ESC's I find are overpriced for what you get.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM View Post
    EXT2Rob the ripple is only cause they used insufficient capacitors to cut cost. Why after a while they started selling cap packs for $25... Never heard of another brand ESC affected by the ripple as much as CC's are.
    Will say though castle does have some nice motors that I will not deny, but their ESC's I find are overpriced for what you get.
    Is that a fact! Yeah wouldn't surprise me I guess. I got into a back & forth with a guy at Castle. He was trying to tell me that they engineer "aircraft quality" units. So I tried to ask him why they felt they had to come out with the Sv3, then. "well to make it waterproof" Yeah maybe, but I sure wouldn't want to fly on one of THEIR airplanes. I just wanted to find out what kind of amp draws a given motor has. (the 5700kv 1406 4-pole) and I couldn't get him to give me an answer. Do you know? I mean, as far as what a decent ESC would be good with that motor? What "amp rating"?
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by EXT2Rob View Post
    Is that a fact! Yeah wouldn't surprise me I guess. I got into a back & forth with a guy at Castle. He was trying to tell me that they engineer "aircraft quality" units. So I tried to ask him why they felt they had to come out with the Sv3, then. "well to make it waterproof" Yeah maybe, but I sure wouldn't want to fly on one of THEIR airplanes. I just wanted to find out what kind of amp draws a given motor has. (the 5700kv 1406 4-pole) and I couldn't get him to give me an answer. Do you know? I mean, as far as what a decent ESC would be good with that motor? What "amp rating"?
    Are we talking Boeing 787 Dreamliner quality electronics? Then yes they are about as faulty
    Yea getting ratings out of CC is harder then getting Traxxas to release a new chassis
    I've seen a page that had CC's ratings before, and honestly they were not impressive at all. It was a site CC owned to sell their ESC's for industrial use so they had to give the true ratings. From what I remebmer for instance the 1/8th scale MM is rated 120A's... where the consumer page just says GOOD ENOUGH FOR...
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest