Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Oh and forgot to mention generally they all use the same gears, basic driveline and diffs... So I don't see how u could say they are weaker?
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by phmaximus View Post
    Oh and forgot to mention generally they all use the same gears, basic driveline and diffs... So I don't see how u could say they are weaker?
    well mostly I know the DF-02, and TT01e use different gears as the TT01e(well the ford raptor (I think it is)) uses plastic diff gears, and the DF02 uses metal. Won't say though the DF-02 gears with a little mild modification can be made to fit though.
    The arms are also a good deal different in design then the buggies as the buggies tend to use a more standard C-hub/knuckles setup where the knuckle screws into the top, and bottom a-arm on the TT01e
    I mainly used the DF-02 in my example as its the only other Tamiya 4wd vehicle I have experience with, and the drivechain is designed pretty much the same, and share parts.
    Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 02-23-2014 at 05:35 PM.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Sorry I could dissagree any more on basically every point.

firstly.... Most 1/10 buggies and truggie's are made from touring cars... They slightly modify the wheelbase and track. For example the first SCT.... It was a tamiya touring car chassis with a ford pickup truck body

as for the ridig chassis... Generally all 1/10 cars have a ridged chassis... Including buggies, truggie's, stadium trucks SCT's I don't know why u would bring that up? I know there is some exceptions but generally it's only 1/8 and up that has a flexible chassis

as far as I know ther is no massive durability issues with the TT01 it is a very popular bashers car with great reviews

it seems there is a general thought that 1/10 rally cars are different to a 1/10 on road car...jets just rule out the traxxas rally, kyosho and losi ten rally... IMO they are not 1/10 so its a unfair comparison. They are twice the price and nearly twice the size.

I can assure you there is not difference in the suspension geometry and strength.
    example comper these to each other
    ta01 rally vs onroad ta02
    ta02 rally vs onroad ta02
    tl01 rally vs onroad to01
    xv01 rally vs xv01TC
    and when looking at a df03ra it's all the same, it just uses a buggy gearbox because of the slipper.

if u know tamiya u know that most of ther parts on the suspension are the same with matching part numbers. There is no special stronger suspension or chassis for rally cars, it's the same as every other 1/10 car chassis
    Should I get a df03 dark impact buggy? i can get it for like only 179$
    It looks like the body on top of the chasis can prevent mud getting in

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM View Post
    well mostly I know the DF-02, and TT01e use different gears as the TT01e(well the ford raptor (I think it is)) uses plastic diff gears, and the DF02 uses metal. Won't say though the DF-02 gears with a little mild modification can be made to fit though.
    The arms are also a good deal different in design then the buggies as the buggies tend to use a more standard C-hub/knuckles setup where the knuckle screws into the top, and bottom a-arm on the TT01e
    I mainly used the DF-02 in my example as its the only other Tamiya 4wd vehicle I have experience with, and the drivechain is designed pretty much the same, and share parts.
    I think tamiya really only have 3 diffs... And the 2 ones with the horizontal ring gears are somewhat interchangeable... It's amazing how manny completely different tamiya vehicles the manta ray ball diff fits into and I like the way alloy of the diff centered are interchangeable so u can run splined or keyed axle yokes

i think the idea of a tt01 rally car if fine. It's been well provin it can preformed with some basic mods. After all the tt02 came out as a buggy

hey syco.... Bit off topic..... I've got one for ya, I was helping someone identify this the other day. I had no idea they existed...
    It's called a TGS-R, check it out

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well all in all I say there is nothing wrong with turning into a rally car. But,..

the other guys are right.. Something els would be more practicable.

my advice is don't cheap out. Get something half decent... If u have to wash cars for the next few months to get the $$$ it's worth it....
    personally If u are buying a purpose built off roader try to steer clear of 1/10 buggies and truggie's...they are just so small on today's standards, a 1/10 SCT or Stadium truck is just so much bigger... Bigger wheels & bigger suspension means it's going to be more capable off road.

some of the SCT's and stadium trucks u can get covers that fit over the chassis to keep crap out... Clam shells and outerwears

whats the absolute most u would spend on a car that's going to be something u have for a while?

Well all in all I say there is nothing wrong with turning into a rally car. But,..

the other guys are right.. Something els would be more practicable.

my advice is don't cheap out. Get something half decent... If u have to wash cars for the next few months to get the $$$ it's worth it....
    personally If u are buying a purpose built off roader try to steer clear of 1/10 buggies and truggie's...they are just so small on today's standards, a 1/10 SCT or Stadium truck is just so much bigger... Bigger wheels & bigger suspension means it's going to be more capable off road.

some of the SCT's and stadium trucks u can get covers that fit over the chassis to keep crap out... Clam shells and outerwears

whats the absolute most u would spend on a car that's going to be something u have for a while?
    Thanks for your advice,
    you helped me alot
    I mean i live in school so there is not much space for big toys, so I might just get a df03
    Because all i want actually is just climb some hills, no rush jump or fall from the sky
    yep.. thanks bro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The first thing you should do upon buying a Tamiya product is ditch the crappy molex battery connector, and replace it with anything else!!

That DF03 chassis looks odd. Big ol long steering rod going OVER the battery to the bell cranks. What, you have to remove that linkage to install/remove the battery?? Tamiya may make nice cars, but they sure make some screwy choices.
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Sorry I could dissagree any more on basically every point.

firstly.... Most 1/10 buggies and truggie's are made from touring cars... They slightly modify the wheelbase and track. For example the first SCT.... It was a tamiya touring car chassis with a ford pickup truck body

as for the ridig chassis... Generally all 1/10 cars have a ridged chassis... Including buggies, truggie's, stadium trucks SCT's I don't know why u would bring that up? I know there is some exceptions but generally it's only 1/8 and up that has a flexible chassis.

as far as I know ther is no massive durability issues with the TT01 it is a very popular bashers car with great reviews

it seems there is a general thought that 1/10 rally cars are different to a 1/10 on road car...jets just rule out the traxxas rally, kyosho and losi ten rally... IMO they are not 1/10 so its a unfair comparison. They are twice the price and nearly twice the size.

I can assure you there is not difference in the suspension geometry and strength.
    example comper these to each other
    ta01 rally vs onroad ta02
    ta02 rally vs onroad ta02
    tl01 rally vs onroad to01
    xv01 rally vs xv01TC
    and when looking at a df03ra it's all the same, it just uses a buggy gearbox because of the slipper.

if u know tamiya u know that most of ther parts on the suspension are the same with matching part numbers. There is no special stronger suspension or chassis for rally cars, it's the same as every other 1/10 car chassis

Yes I probably over reacted....

I brought up stadium trucks rally cars etc. Because OP wants to go off road with an onroad car... Itll be better if he simply used a buggy or truggy or a short course if he wants the scale realism and wants to go off road. Don't you agree? It's like taking my Awd yota venza out for a rally stage, it has Awd and the clearence all you need are tires and better shocks...

Tamiya's ta02t was a look alike baja truck, not short course and a ta02 with a f-150 body

And the tt01 is a beginner chassis. It was priced low enough for any noob to get into the hobby. And as with the low price comes the low quality and performance and made for driveway bashing. Not hardcore jumps, bumps, and rocks.

Even though there's not much diffrence in suspension but lots in chassis lengths, wishbone and arm layouts, driveshaft lengths, etc. Yes they they share parts but they're arranged accordingly. Just like every other manufacturer that make rc vehicles. If you're handy with a Dremel you could make a nice rally car using other parts or modifying the tt01.

Ive done a tt01 rally conversion before liked it at first but it wasnt the best. It handled like a cheap walmart toy and the front arms were always snapping. The chassis would skip everytime I hit a rock or bump. oh and the holes where the battery goes...I needed to cover that up.I've also done conversions on the duratrax gtp, gtp2, and the rs4. They handled better but weren't the best

Today's rally cars even if they're bigger and a bit pricey ($300-$400 isn't much) they handle any conditions nicely.

Tommy if you want a platform that can handle any terrain, get dirty but easily cleaned, and is easy to work on get a monster truck, you won't be dissapointed
    Collection:
    Kyosho:
    3 Mint Las Vegas
    1 Landjump
    Associated:
    1 MGT 8.0 with a Magnum .70 4 Stroke
    BlueBird:
    1 Silver Arrow

www.ysfhq.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I can't agree on what the OP wants... I don't think he even knows yet.

i don't know what u mean but it was a ta02 with a f150 body.... How can u say its not??
    Lonely thing I can thinking is word play with SCT vs baja truck... But even then they are the same. As far as I'm concerned they are all the same.... It doesn't matter what racing series they run in. Maby I should of said trophy truck?
    Only other thing I could think is maby u are referring to the longer arms on the ta02t??? Just like he DF01 vs the TA01... Tamiya dident do that for strength... It's for increased width.

i think u will find the track, wheelbase and chassis length is the same as any other TC or rally car. No special width or lengths there.
    same with the driveshafts I think tamiya only have 2 different length cv shafts for there TC/rally line up

Ive got a lot of firsthand experience with a df03ra and a vxo1.... And I completely disagree... They are no bigger and no major difference in preformance when bashing compared to a Ta01

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I'm done... I really can't be bothered arguing if this guy will have fun with his tt01 with rally tyres and how well it's going to preform. I really don't care that much. I'm happy to help but I'm not really into discussing my feelings on how well it's going to compare.

OP.... Look at all the videos on YouTube and those other videos from the build series of the tt01 to rally and u make the desition...
    Just search tt01 rally on YouTube.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Subie-vader.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	1972062 SUBIE_VADER!!! (well, ok, it is only 2wd......) But it drives like a bat outta hell off road. SO the wheels aren't inside the fenders. PFFT!!
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I think tamiya really only have 3 diffs... And the 2 ones with the horizontal ring gears are somewhat interchangeable... It's amazing how manny completely different tamiya vehicles the manta ray ball diff fits into and I like the way alloy of the diff centered are interchangeable so u can run splined or keyed axle yokes

i think the idea of a tt01 rally car if fine. It's been well provin it can preformed with some basic mods. After all the tt02 came out as a buggy

hey syco.... Bit off topic..... I've got one for ya, I was helping someone identify this the other day. I had no idea they existed...
    It's called a TGS-R, check it out
    wow never heard of that one before almost looks like a nitro TT01 lol
    Found very few pics of it even do see notable differences like steering, and the hubs
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I know right.. It took ages to identify... I've never seen one before... The pic I had to work from was shocking and 1/2 the parts were missing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hey since we are sharing...

Here is my current rally car.... Needs a bit of work but it's getting there. (It's the one from the video I linked n the 1st page)

And here are some old ones of mine...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12