RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Any Idea on Turn a on-road car to off-road?

Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 08:09 PM
  #1
tommy0105
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 25
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Any Idea on Turn a on-road car to off-road?

I just bought this On-Road TT01D type E Tamiya GT-R
Well, I just found out there are not many race track here around our school
So I am trying to turn my on-road into an off-road
Any Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	133.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	1970673  
tommy0105 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:56 PM
  #2
On2_n_On4
 
On2_n_On4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 734
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I wouldn't do it, but rally is as far as I would take it.
wheels.. tires... softer/longer springs/shocks/ front and rear shock towers ?
On2_n_On4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:47 PM
  #3
tommy0105
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 25
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2_n_On4 View Post
I wouldn't do it, but rally is as far as I would take it.
wheels.. tires... softer/longer springs/shocks/ front and rear shock towers ?
I am a totally beginner. does every 1/10 scale shock tower or springs are going to fit my car?
tommy0105 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:24 PM
  #4
phmaximus
 
phmaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 6,601
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Generally u just chuck on a set of rally wheels and go for gold.

but if u want to get serious about it. Its worth messing with the suspension setup.
one thing I've found with trying to build rally cars... There is no springs soft enough for my liking. And most touring cars shocks don't have enough suspension travel.. . Its one thing I'm stuck on with a project I'm doing....

but knowing tamiya a bet there is a buggy that u could use the suspension arms, links and axles from to make it into a Truggy
phmaximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:31 AM
  #5
R32GolfTA06
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 660
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

It looks like a very fresh clean chassis in that picture, it seems a shame to wreck it rallying, if I Where you I would keep that one good and but an old second hand rally chassis or off-road buggy to mess about with from eBay
R32GolfTA06 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:57 AM
  #6
tommy0105
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 25
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32GolfTA06 View Post
It looks like a very fresh clean chassis in that picture, it seems a shame to wreck it rallying, if I Where you I would keep that one good and but an old second hand rally chassis or off-road buggy to mess about with from eBay
Lol not anymore, it is a really dirty car now
That is y im thinking about going off road haha
tommy0105 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:44 AM
  #7
tommy0105
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 25
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phmaximus View Post
Generally u just chuck on a set of rally wheels and go for gold.

but if u want to get serious about it. Its worth messing with the suspension setup.
one thing I've found with trying to build rally cars... There is no springs soft enough for my liking. And most touring cars shocks don't have enough suspension travel.. . Its one thing I'm stuck on with a project I'm doing....

but knowing tamiya a bet there is a buggy that u could use the suspension arms, links and axles from to make it into a Truggy
Should i just purchase the parts from tamiya buggy?
tommy0105 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:52 AM
  #8
EXT2Rob
 
EXT2Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Placerville, CA
Posts: 3,013
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Welcome to the boards! Do you have a hobby store nearby that carries Tamiya? I'd check with them first and see if they can help you fitting different parts to you chassis. Like the other guys said, you'll probably need longer suspension arms, longer shocks, maybe new shock towers. Definitely new tires and wheels. Tamiya makes a wide range of vehicles. You should be able to find something you can piece stuff together with to get where you want to go. See if you can find a Tamiya Forum, they might be able to help you better than we can, as they probably have experience mixing and matching parts on their cars.

If you plan to go brushless & Lipo, (I'm going to assume your car is a brushed model) make the change to another kind of battery connector like Traxxas or Deans or even bullets. ANYTHING besides those crappy white Molex connectors Tamiya uses! They will MELT under any kind of brushless / Lipo power.
EXT2Rob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:25 AM
  #9
tommy0105
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 25
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXT2Rob View Post
Welcome to the boards! Do you have a hobby store nearby that carries Tamiya? I'd check with them first and see if they can help you fitting different parts to you chassis. Like the other guys said, you'll probably need longer suspension arms, longer shocks, maybe new shock towers. Definitely new tires and wheels. Tamiya makes a wide range of vehicles. You should be able to find something you can piece stuff together with to get where you want to go. See if you can find a Tamiya Forum, they might be able to help you better than we can, as they probably have experience mixing and matching parts on their cars.

If you plan to go brushless & Lipo, (I'm going to assume your car is a brushed model) make the change to another kind of battery connector like Traxxas or Deans or even bullets. ANYTHING besides those crappy white Molex connectors Tamiya uses! They will MELT under any kind of brushless / Lipo power.
unfortunately, the closest hobby store are 40mins away from my school
tommy0105 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:40 PM
  #10
phmaximus
 
phmaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 6,601
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I forgot to ask..... In ur mind what are u thinking? Rally car or some buggy looking thing?

after some research I don't think I recommend converting it into a buggy, there is durability issues with the suspension hinges. And is more of a conversion for advanced hobbyists.

I picked up a car the other week that I'm making into a rally car... It's very similar to the TT01 in driveline layout and placement.
But its a cheaper Chinese brand.
So far it's starting to show some great potential. I just need to get the darn suspension figured out...

problem I'm having... Because it's got a little more torque than before as soon as the suspension bottoms out the whole car bounces and can flip. So I've got to slow it down or tweak the suspension.

just as a reference... Here is a little video... U could easily do this with the TT01... If anything the TT01 is a better built car
$80 for ESC, Motor and program card
$30 battery
$20 for a set of rally wheels and tyres

http://youtu.be/PUT5mdy6LE4
phmaximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:29 AM
  #11
SyCo_VeNoM
 
SyCo_VeNoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: chicago, IL
Posts: 12,766
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I don't think a TT01e would be a good rally car mainly due to the suspension setup.
SyCo_VeNoM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:59 PM
  #12
tommy0105
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 25
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phmaximus View Post
I forgot to ask..... In ur mind what are u thinking? Rally car or some buggy looking thing?

after some research I don't think I recommend converting it into a buggy, there is durability issues with the suspension hinges. And is more of a conversion for advanced hobbyists.

I picked up a car the other week that I'm making into a rally car... It's very similar to the TT01 in driveline layout and placement.
But its a cheaper Chinese brand.
So far it's starting to show some great potential. I just need to get the darn suspension figured out...

problem I'm having... Because it's got a little more torque than before as soon as the suspension bottoms out the whole car bounces and can flip. So I've got to slow it down or tweak the suspension.

just as a reference... Here is a little video... U could easily do this with the TT01... If anything the TT01 is a better built car
$80 for ESC, Motor and program card
$30 battery
$20 for a set of rally wheels and tyres

http://youtu.be/PUT5mdy6LE4
That I considers a pretty good rally car...
Well, I just went dirt, gonna post picture later...HORRIBLE IDEA
tommy0105 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:00 PM
  #13
tommy0105
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 25
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM View Post
I don't think a TT01e would be a good rally car mainly due to the suspension setup.
i FEEL the same way after I rally it...
tommy0105 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:02 PM
  #14
tommy0105
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 25
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Here comes the picture of my DRIFT car after rally...
I am just so eager to rally, so I didnt change tire, but change the shock's position
I homemade some fenders so it doesnt get that dirty...
STILL, a Horrible idea...I got to wash this thing for a whole afternoon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	1971246  
tommy0105 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:03 PM
  #15
tommy0105
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 25
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I might just consider to purchase a buggy, will it get dirty inside(esc, servo, motor)?
tommy0105 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:19 PM
  #16
SyCo_VeNoM
 
SyCo_VeNoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: chicago, IL
Posts: 12,766
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

yea a buggy would get dirty, probably not as bad as the wheels will be on the outside of the body, but yea some would still get in.
SyCo_VeNoM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:10 PM
  #17
phmaximus
 
phmaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 6,601
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

That's the thing with offroad cars... They do get dirty.... It kinda looks like u have driven throughout some mud??

as for rally cars... They get as dirty as any SCT, monstertruck, Stadium truck and truggie's. Buggies are a little better because of the tight fitting body but they still get just as bad, it just takes longer that's all.
If u are worried about dirt geting into the receiver simple put in a balloon. The ESC and servo are fine to get dirty just don't get them wet.

if u still are keen in going forward with the project check out this and some of the other videos from this guy.

http://youtu.be/x9MD0c3ljSc
phmaximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:20 PM
  #18
phmaximus
 
phmaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 6,601
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy0105 View Post
i FEEL the same way after I rally it...
Keep in mind the tt01 does not have any kind of special suspension. It's the same basic setup as all the other previous cars have had.
Double wishbone with a 62mm shock.

the only difference is it does not come with the optional longer ballends to increase the ride height like the Df03r and the xv01.
But most people running the rally cars will tell u, raising the ground clearance will make rollover problems worse. So most people don't use them anyway... And as u can see in that video it's easy enough to increase the suspension travel with out effecting the ride hight.

me personally think rally cars don't need a lot of ground clearance/ride hight. But they do need a lot of suspension travel and just like the real ones u can never have to much droop...
phmaximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:05 PM
  #19
tommy0105
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 25
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phmaximus View Post
That's the thing with offroad cars... They do get dirty.... It kinda looks like u have driven throughout some mud??

as for rally cars... They get as dirty as any SCT, monstertruck, Stadium truck and truggie's. Buggies are a little better because of the tight fitting body but they still get just as bad, it just takes longer that's all.
If u are worried about dirt geting into the receiver simple put in a balloon. The ESC and servo are fine to get dirty just don't get them wet.

if u still are keen in going forward with the project check out this and some of the other videos from this guy.

http://youtu.be/x9MD0c3ljSc
Thanks a LOT!!!!!!! I really needed this video omg...
I will post my pictures if i succeed
questions though...
If the car gets really dirty, do i clean it or just let it sit there?
What tools i can use to easily cut the plastic chasis?
tommy0105 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:06 PM
  #20
tommy0105
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 25
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM View Post
yea a buggy would get dirty, probably not as bad as the wheels will be on the outside of the body, but yea some would still get in.
It seems not worth it to buy a buggy if it still gets dirty
I might just start to build some rally tt01~
tommy0105 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:44 PM
  #21
phmaximus
 
phmaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 6,601
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Ahhh. To start with clean the whole car so it's like new....
Then from ur local hardware shop u should be to find a aerosol garage door lube... Its a dry setting lubricant.
Then coat everything in it.... Ensuring not to get anything rubber like tyres and alloy to dry over night between coats
Its awesome, it gives everything a bit of a shine, protects the plastic from UV light and its one of the only thing known to man to have dirt repelling properties.

Doing this won't repel the dirt as such, but it will stop it getting into the pores of the plastic and embedding it self. So come time to clean, generally u just need to give it a quick brush with a old pain crush and a 5 second blast of compressed air.
if u don't have a air compressor. U can buy aerosol can of air reasonably cheap and if u don't wast it it should last a while

as for cleaning its really up to u... Obviously don't let it get to bad with dirt caked on and u don't have to clean it after each run...
One thing I do reccomend each run.... When u are finished, hold it upside down and shake the crap out.
and it's defiantly worth buying some baby wipes $3 for 80 u can't go wrong...They are cheap and make awesome dust cloths for the body and chassis...I've cleaned whole cars with baby wipes before lol

oh.... And what ever u do keep away from water...even if u had water proof electronics it makes a huge mess....
phmaximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:05 AM
  #22
Barracuz
 
Barracuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Posts: 148
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy0105 View Post
It seems not worth it to buy a buggy if it still gets dirty
I might just start to build some rally tt01~
No, it's worth it....

A buggy, truggy, monster truck, short course, and rally cars were made for dirt and all around terrains. You can throw them in the air and be confident that they can handle the fall.

Touring and pan cars were made for smooth non bumpy surfaces. They're lightweight and the chassis structure is rigid. These cars were made for fast passes and the ocassional bump into a foam barrier.

Yes you can convert your tt-01 into a rally car but beware you will break it! It's not made for bumps and jumps... Or dirt. It won't be able to handle the stress. You can even break them by driving on asphalt.hit a curb or bump and you're done.

If you really want a rally car, get a rally car. Kyosho makes nice durable cheap rally cars.traxxas, hpi and even a few tamiya chassis are good for dirt. Or a short course truck. Its nice all around platform and it has a nice realistic look.

You can try converting your $250 car spend $100+ in the process amd have a car thats constantly breaking arms, shock towers, diffs etc.

Or you can spend $300 on a nice off road platform and not worry about it exploding when you hit a tree, rock, hole or curb
Barracuz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:07 PM
  #23
tommy0105
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 25
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuz View Post
No, it's worth it....

A buggy, truggy, monster truck, short course, and rally cars were made for dirt and all around terrains. You can throw them in the air and be confident that they can handle the fall.

Touring and pan cars were made for smooth non bumpy surfaces. They're lightweight and the chassis structure is rigid. These cars were made for fast passes and the ocassional bump into a foam barrier.

Yes you can convert your tt-01 into a rally car but beware you will break it! It's not made for bumps and jumps... Or dirt. It won't be able to handle the stress. You can even break them by driving on asphalt.hit a curb or bump and you're done.

If you really want a rally car, get a rally car. Kyosho makes nice durable cheap rally cars.traxxas, hpi and even a few tamiya chassis are good for dirt. Or a short course truck. Its nice all around platform and it has a nice realistic look.

You can try converting your $250 car spend $100+ in the process amd have a car thats constantly breaking arms, shock towers, diffs etc.

Or you can spend $300 on a nice off road platform and not worry about it exploding when you hit a tree, rock, hole or curb
Thanks for your suggestion~
Appreciate it
tommy0105 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:09 PM
  #24
tommy0105
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 25
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phmaximus View Post
Ahhh. To start with clean the whole car so it's like new....
Then from ur local hardware shop u should be to find a aerosol garage door lube... Its a dry setting lubricant.
Then coat everything in it.... Ensuring not to get anything rubber like tyres and alloy to dry over night between coats
Its awesome, it gives everything a bit of a shine, protects the plastic from UV light and its one of the only thing known to man to have dirt repelling properties.

Doing this won't repel the dirt as such, but it will stop it getting into the pores of the plastic and embedding it self. So come time to clean, generally u just need to give it a quick brush with a old pain crush and a 5 second blast of compressed air.
if u don't have a air compressor. U can buy aerosol can of air reasonably cheap and if u don't wast it it should last a while

as for cleaning its really up to u... Obviously don't let it get to bad with dirt caked on and u don't have to clean it after each run...
One thing I do reccomend each run.... When u are finished, hold it upside down and shake the crap out.
and it's defiantly worth buying some baby wipes $3 for 80 u can't go wrong...They are cheap and make awesome dust cloths for the body and chassis...I've cleaned whole cars with baby wipes before lol

oh.... And what ever u do keep away from water...even if u had water proof electronics it makes a huge mess....
You really helped me a lot...
Imma just changing mind rapidly according to what others said to me...
Well, now i might just going to upgrade my tt01 to a bling bling drift car and buy a buggy...
FVCK DA DOLLAR SIGN $$$$
tommy0105 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:21 PM
  #25
phmaximus
 
phmaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 6,601
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuz View Post
No, it's worth it....

A buggy, truggy, monster truck, short course, and rally cars were made for dirt and all around terrains. You can throw them in the air and be confident that they can handle the fall.

Touring and pan cars were made for smooth non bumpy surfaces. They're lightweight and the chassis structure is rigid. These cars were made for fast passes and the ocassional bump into a foam barrier.

Yes you can convert your tt-01 into a rally car but beware you will break it! It's not made for bumps and jumps... Or dirt. It won't be able to handle the stress. You can even break them by driving on asphalt.hit a curb or bump and you're done.

If you really want a rally car, get a rally car. Kyosho makes nice durable cheap rally cars.traxxas, hpi and even a few tamiya chassis are good for dirt. Or a short course truck. Its nice all around platform and it has a nice realistic look.

You can try converting your $250 car spend $100+ in the process amd have a car thats constantly breaking arms, shock towers, diffs etc.

Or you can spend $300 on a nice off road platform and not worry about it exploding when you hit a tree, rock, hole or curb
Sorry I could dissagree any more on basically every point.

firstly.... Most 1/10 buggies and truggie's are made from touring cars... They slightly modify the wheelbase and track. For example the first SCT.... It was a tamiya touring car chassis with a ford pickup truck body

as for the ridig chassis... Generally all 1/10 cars have a ridged chassis... Including buggies, truggie's, stadium trucks SCT's I don't know why u would bring that up? I know there is some exceptions but generally it's only 1/8 and up that has a flexible chassis

as far as I know ther is no massive durability issues with the TT01 it is a very popular bashers car with great reviews


it seems there is a general thought that 1/10 rally cars are different to a 1/10 on road car...jets just rule out the traxxas rally, kyosho and losi ten rally... IMO they are not 1/10 so its a unfair comparison. They are twice the price and nearly twice the size.

I can assure you there is not difference in the suspension geometry and strength.
example comper these to each other
ta01 rally vs onroad ta02
ta02 rally vs onroad ta02
tl01 rally vs onroad to01
xv01 rally vs xv01TC
and when looking at a df03ra it's all the same, it just uses a buggy gearbox because of the slipper.

if u know tamiya u know that most of ther parts on the suspension are the same with matching part numbers. There is no special stronger suspension or chassis for rally cars, it's the same as every other 1/10 car chassis
phmaximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:45 AM.