Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What's your favorite class?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Cool_cris27

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's your favorite class?

So what do you guys think is the funnest RC class?? basher? Racing? flying? Boating? On road? Drifting? Going to the dunes? Speed runs? Whatever it may be tell us what car you would use and what setup you have for that car:3
Old 03-03-2014, 08:04 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a 4WD SCT race sucker. Pretty much feared by the whole track, except those Associated and Novak guys...... LOL!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Donwebster

off-road crawling
Old 03-07-2014, 05:37 PM
King Dork

I'll second crawling. I thought it looked stupid and then for some reason I decided to dump a bunch of money on a Losi Comp Crawler and absolutely love it. I don't compete. Just fun to take wherever and climb whatever
Old 03-07-2014, 05:53 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1/5 off road.... Nothing compares....nothing.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:06 PM
collector1231

Rich people and their big RCs......
Old 03-08-2014, 03:33 AM
phmaximus

Hummm.... Judgemental people.... I think I might just send a PM
Old 03-08-2014, 05:42 AM
turok007

if you want to race 1/5th on the cheap just race a 1/10th closer to yourself. when i was in to flying i flew all my large scale stuff so far away it ended up looking like my small planes in the end. lol
Old 03-08-2014, 10:06 AM
nitroexpress

The problem with 1/5 scale is - it's 1/5 scale.

If one has deep pockets and some background in RC, it's an intriguing class. But many on this forum lack one or both of the before mentioned prerequisites. Some will say that few, if any, upgrades are required. But this isn't true. Browse the large scale forums and the truth becomes clear. All stock parts are much more costly than 1/8 scale. How about $70 for a gas tank, $12 for a screw on gas cap or $250 for a body which isn't that durable. Upgrades are needed to stay running and be somewhat competitive.

Case in point. All RTR servos tend to be junk. The HPI and Losi 1/5 vehicles are no exception. Many servos have been tried and the latest thought is that a dual servo array is needed. $300 for two super Hitecs and $400 for the conversion kit. How many are ready for a 6 or 7 hundred dollar upgrade? And the list goes on for other items.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:42 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
The problem with 1/5 scale is - it's 1/5 scale.

If one has deep pockets and some background in RC, it's an intriguing class. But many on this forum lack one or both of the before mentioned prerequisites. Some will say that few, if any, upgrades are required. But this isn't true. Browse the large scale forums and the truth becomes clear. All stock parts are much more costly than 1/8 scale. How about $70 for a gas tank, $12 for a screw on gas cap or $250 for a body which isn't that durable. Upgrades are needed to stay running and be somewhat competitive.

Case in point. All RTR servos tend to be junk. The HPI and Losi 1/5 vehicles are no exception. Many servos have been tried and the latest thought is that a dual servo array is needed. $300 for two super Hitecs and $400 for the conversion kit. How many are ready for a 6 or 7 hundred dollar upgrade? And the list goes on for other items.
lol so true still remember the day I saw a set of HPI Baha tires sitting on the counter at my LHS, and I was like What the hell I paid almost that for 2 tires on my real car(if I remember right the tires were like $80-$85 for 2 baja tires). The clerk at the time started laughing and said that's why he won't touch 1/5th either. Up till that point I was gunho about getting a 15th scale RC after that looked at parts cost and was like uhh no...

Well they still are around $80 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVUU0&P=7 lol

Anyways favorite thing to do would be bashing as I don't consider that a class.
Favorite vehicle... probably my Savage that I wish I could run more, but the streets I used to run it are so poorly upkept by my city my real car has issues driving down them.
Its a toss up though with the DF-02, or CRT.5 as I like those vehicles too as they can be ran in smaller places

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 03-08-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:53 PM
collector1231

Originally Posted by phmaximus
Hummm.... Judgemental people.... I think I might just send a PM
No judging here.... Just trying to make a joke. Note the

Either way, I'm sorry.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yup.+The+other+team+always+seems+to+be+hardened++_c348de8ec3c4bee27f1379f2061a9035.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	1976252  

Last edited by collector1231; 03-08-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:14 PM
phmaximus

Lol... It's all good m8... I'm such a stress head ATM and I don't know why...

no doubt 1/5 can get very expensive. My 5ive has been out of action for roughly a year due to a dead servo... I simply dident have and spare cash. I've replaced it with a cheap Chinese servo for now, but who knows how long that's going to last.....
ATM I would kill for a tuned exhaust, but $200!!! Ouch!

But the way I see it, it's an investment. So if I can get a few little upgrades each year I'm happy, this thing has got a good 10 years of parts support if not more... So it's going to be a long term thing.

This might sound a little crazy, but if u get the chance to drive a 1/5 scale...Do it. It's honestly different, everything is like in slow motion and it still scare me..
rember the feeling u use to get from ur first brushless car... U know the hair on the back of ur neck standing up?
I still get that with the 5ive, constantly..... If u are a bit of a addrelian junky they defiantly get the juices pumping.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:08 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

for the last 20 something years iv been into 1/10 stadium trucks and 2wd buggy's. iv bashed the hell out of those on anything i thought i could drive on, and even a few things that were questionable at best. there's got to be a reason iv stuck with it so long. and i bought a monster truck back in July and i still bust out the old stadium truck on a regular basis.

Last edited by suburban_hooligan; 03-09-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:43 PM
On2_n_On4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is personal preference.
I had and like them all..., on road, off road, nitro, gas, electric, 1/18, 1/12, 1/10, 1/8, 1/5.
but nothing gives me full satisfaction like a nitro on road car does.

sold my tmaxx and revo about a week ago., now I'm shopping for electric on road to have some fun at night and not getting the neighbors pissed.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:38 PM
phmaximus

I'm a electric guy, well generally.

but I'm a big petrol head, if u know what I mean... There is something in my DNA that gets me excited with the sound of a IC engine screaming down the road.... And I know I'm not alone. It like for some people just the noise is enough to get the addrelian pumping.

say the local drag racing... I've been to a few 4,6 and rotor comps lately but the general atmosphere is not as electric as the nitro top fuel and v8 drag comps. (See what I did there? Play on words lol) people are generally more happy and excited. And I put it down to the sound and vibration.. I sware the human brain is hard wired to get excited with loud noises

Last edited by phmaximus; 03-09-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:15 PM
R32GolfTA06

For me is drifting, high modified 1/10 rc car chassis
Old 03-10-2014, 10:46 PM
phmaximus

Ohh.... Now they do look cool.... I love watching the drift cars at the track. It amazing the detail and control some of the drivers have.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:33 AM
Barracuz

Any part of the hobby that features a roaring, fuel chugging, smoke spittin reciprocal engine is the best....

But I personally prefer vintage and classics.

Whoa whoa whoa!!! Did someone say rotor?

You Aussies have all the fun...

I'm a electric guy, well generally.

but I'm a big petrol head, if u know what I mean... There is something in my DNA that gets me excited with the sound of a IC engine screaming down the road.... And I know I'm not alone. It like for some people just the noise is enough to get the addrelian pumping.

say the local drag racing... I've been to a few 4,6 and rotor comps lately but the general atmosphere is not as electric as the nitro top fuel and v8 drag comps. (See what I did there? Play on words lol) people are generally more happy and excited. And I put it down to the sound and vibration.. I sware the human brain is hard wired to get excited with loud noises
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rotor_vs_piston_by_guss67-d33mkto.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	1977008  
Old 03-12-2014, 04:12 AM
phmaximus

Oh man.... I'm detecting a rotor fan (v8 here, but I do love a good rotor... Old school RX3's..)

have ve up seen the ones they are using in the UAV's they are very cool
Old 03-13-2014, 05:40 AM
Barracuz

Oh man.... I'm detecting a rotor fan (v8 here, but I do love a good rotor... Old school RX3's..)

have ve up seen the ones they are using in the UAV's they are very cool
Not necessarily a rotor head, I just love engines . From v8s, rotarys, to the inlines and boxers, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, 5 stroke!!!

Yea those small wankles are really nice pieces. I'm looking for a couple for a small project. Hopefully make a multirotor rc car! But until prices go down I'll be sticking to 4strokes...
Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Non v8 performance can be impressive. But there's no comparison to the thundering rumpity rump of a big nasty V8. Especially when you combine that big displacement with a blower topped with mechanical injection and 3 blade bug catcher. I love watching vids from Australia as it seems blowers, mechanical injection and zoomies are really common. You Aussies know how to do that right!

RC, my fav is monster trucks. My LST XXL with Castle 1717 on 6s is my fav and not going anywhere anytime soon. I'm more electric but I do miss nitro and will probably end up with the LST XXL2 when it comes out. Gas 1/8 seems like the best of both worlds.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:39 PM
nitroexpress

I like Rock Crawling. If it's done like the American Rock Crawling Series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EJ7qXUCHug