Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Need some help getting back into the hobby.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Need some help getting back into the hobby.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Cool_cris27

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some help getting back into the hobby.

I used have rc cars a while ago like maybe 7 years ago. Maybe even longer when i was a kid too. But i got busy had to sell everything( except for this one buggy that i have) for space. I now have a bigger place with some tracks around and i want to get back in the hobby. So I know what i dont want and what i do heres the list. I also have a NIMH batteries form like 5 years ago are they good batteries? Should i get those Lipo ones? I need some learning to do but heres what i want. Im going to be driving at parks, baseball fields, street, back yard (all chunky dirt some smooth spots) maybe tracks, the beach if possible mot likely not i wouldn't care if i cant take to the beach either. some open areas with jumps. Now as for car specifications

- Electric
- 1/10 1/8
- I dont want a buggy
- I want it to be fast too!
- Lots of after market parts
- FUN TO BASH
-Durable
- Maybe a kit (if i get a kit i wouldn't know what electronics to put in it im hoping you guys can help me with that to)
-Water proof
- budget $400 max (but if its on tower i can maybe do like 430$)
- Something to keep me entertained like working on it. I love nitros because i get to work on them like my old buggy that i have i just want an electric now.
- what lipo and charger should i use thats not very expensive if it can possible fit with my budget that would be cool. Or if the car come withs a battery and charger i can wait and save up for lipo too.

So yeah this is exactly what im trying to find. I tried to look for rcs everywhere but nothing really caught my eye i checked traxxas but i don't know i don't really like traxxas that much. What i explained here that would make my dream car. So I hope some of you more experienced people can help an old fellow out on trying to find the right rc Thank
Old 04-12-2014, 11:38 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah the classic question: Want to get back in, what do I get? Yes, lot's of choices. But what I'm cluing in on is that you want "lots of aftermarket parts". That right there is going to limit you somewhat in your choices. RPM is an aftermarket parts maker known for quality. They make TONS of parts for the Traxxas products and some for Losi. Integy makes some parts for lots of other cars. I have read that in order to make, say, a Traxxas Slash "bulletproof", you need to install like another $100 in RPM parts to do it, and that puts some people off, adding $100 to an already pricey RC. (Traxxas tend to be on the pricey side) That said, the Slash is probably one of the most popular, since short course racing is hugely popular. And any hobby shop always has Traxxas parts on the wall, since Traxxas doesn't charge shops for stocking. But Associated and Losi are also common.

You don't mention whether you want 2wd or 4wd. 2wd platforms are simpler, and easy to maintain. But driving a 2wd off road can either be fun and teach you how to drive, or frustrating, as they can be easy to spin out until you learn to drive them. 4wd is easier to drive off road, but is a little more complex due to the extra running gear. And 4wd tends to be more expensive than its 2wd counterpart. But they drive easier than 2wd.

If durability is paramount, you'd probably want to go to something in the 1/8th scale. But then you're getting into some serious coin. The Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 is widely know around this forum for being just about the most durable and bash-able RC out there today. But that sucker is BIG and requires TWO lipo packs at a time. But for overall durability out of the box, it's supposed to be the bomb. But we're talkin' almost $600.

As for batteries and a charger, I'd ditch your old NiMhs right off. Not going to have the juice to properly supply a modern motor system. (I am convinced I killed my Castle Sidewinder system by using my old NiMh packs on it. Look up "ripple currents".) You want Lipo. I have had good luck with Gens Ace lipos from HobbyPartz.com. Reasonable prices, so you can afford to pay a little more for a higher C-rating. I believe that buying a 40C-rated pack is better than a 20C pack because the 20C pack will get warmer under use than the 40C pack. Heat is bad in electronics. I also have this charger and love it: http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html It's quiet, charges at 6 Amps (80 watts) and will charge a 5000mah pack in under an hour. The batteries and chargers you get with RTRs are CRAP so don't even consider buying one that includes them. They just add to the cost.

Where do you want to buy the truck, and spare parts? Online or local?
Old 04-12-2014, 11:49 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

reading this thought I lost my mind till I looked a few posts down

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-c...nto-hobby.html
answers are there...

Why did you copy, and paste the 1st post there?
Old 04-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Cool_cris27

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

scyco my friend was using the acount and he posted one then he hit the back arrow and accidentaly posted a second one my bad:3
Oh and i dont want to go to my local hobby shop because there RC's are like 100$ more then online i only go to my hobby shop for parts because there cheaper than online. and I know its not a good but beach bashing is fun too.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:27 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ahh didn't notice the date it this one was made
Old 04-14-2014, 06:57 PM
rowdy3128

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a traxxas telluride 4x4.....is fast enuff & can crawl too....I have 7 nicd batterys and want to use on both trucks so I don't have lipos yet....
Old 04-14-2014, 07:56 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Careful using NiMhs on a brushless system. Read the fine print if you can. NiMhs can damage some <ahem>Castle<cough> ESCs. If the Teluride ships WITH NiMhs, you're prolly safe. But rule of thumb: Brushless means Lipo.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:02 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Careful using NiMhs on a brushless system. Read the fine print if you can. NiMhs can damage some <ahem>Castle<cough> ESCs. If the Teluride ships WITH NiMhs, you're prolly safe. But rule of thumb: Brushless means Lipo.
The Telluride ships only as brushed so NiMh's def shouldn't be a problem