Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Hello From Glasgow

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 05:52 PM
davievtec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello From Glasgow

hi folks new here im from glasgow
i dont know much about rc cars so thought i would sign up and see if i could find any information and get tips from the people who own them
if there is any tips you would like to share please dont be shy lol

however i am looking at getting my own rc car but there are various arguments wether to get brushless or nitro whats your views ? and i love toyota supras if that helps

cheers davievtec
Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Aloha! From......Alabama. You will want to go Electric for your first RC. Traxxas Stampede or an ECX model are all good beginner choices, even on a dime. Then, I'd pick up an onroad car and make it into the Supra you've always dreamed of!
Old 04-15-2014, 06:17 PM
davievtec

hi thanks for the reply,
are the models you have mentioned fast ? as i have a need for speed and i would like to keep it for a while and are modifications possible on these models ?
also what is the most common size if i buy a normal rc car like you have said what size shell would i need to get for it to fit perfect or will all shells need modification ?
and also are they driftable ? as i would like a little rwd one to drift around in my garage

thanks davievtec
Old 04-15-2014, 07:10 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want fast you want brushless as people have gotten em over 100 mph (just note speed don't come cheap)

Nitro, electric its up to you if you like tinkering, and the sound of an engine nitro. If you just want something fast electric. Electric, and Nitro both have pro's and cons anyone that says otherwise basically has 0 experience with one of them.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:26 PM
On2_n_On4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want something fast and a supra body... you need to buy a 1/10 scale brushless on road car.
If you want to go bigger (1/8 scale) you will get better, more up to scale handling, stronger car/chassis/parts etc...
but you will spend more on tires, parts, bodies., and you will not have so many choices in bodies like you have for 1/10 scale cars.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:51 AM
davievtec

ahh ok cheers for the information, is there any particular manufacturer that i should be looking at for these or are all good ?
also what about reliability as im new to this i wouldnt want to buy one that is bad for being reliable im not too focused about speed as i can always upgrade im wanting a good base for getting used to driving and also would prefer if it was rwd not 4wd i have seen one on a website i will post up the description i dont want to violate any rules by posting links to other sites,

here it is

HPI is proud to introduce our second officially licensed Ken Block replica, the Ken Block 2013 RC Micro RS4 RTR With Ford Fiesta H.F.H.V. Body! This exact scale replica is a 1/18th scale version of Kens latest car that hes been demonstrating and driving for 2013, and looks exactly the same as his full-size car!
Ready To Run kit features a highly detailed scale replica Ken Block 2013 GRC Ford Fiesta H.F.H.V. body and GRC Spec replica wheels for an awesome scale look wherever you drive!
The HPI Micro RS4 is powered by an HPI 180-size motor and features an electronic speed control, full time 4WD belt drive and waterproof steering servo. Its ready to blast down the road just like Ken Blocks full sized Ford Fiesta H.F.H.V. from the world-famous Gymkhana videos!
Controlling the Ken Block 2013 GRC Micro RS4 RTR With Ford Fiesta H.F.H.V. Body is easy with the HPI 2.4GHz radio system. Theres no need to worry about changing crystals, the radio prevents frequency conflicts automatically. The TF-40 pistol grip transmitter features adjustments for steering trim, throttle trim, steering dual rate, end points, servo reversing switches, low battery indicator and a 3rd channel for optional accessories.
Ken Block 2013 RC Car - HPI Micro RS4Features
  • Pre-Built, Ready to Run 1/18th scale racing car
  • Officially licensed replica of Ken Block 2013 GRC with Ford Fiesta H.F.H.V.
  • Drives just like a larger RC car!
  • 4WD for maximum control and speed
  • Belt drivetrain for efficient power transfer to front wheels
  • Double-wishbone independent front suspension
  • Coil-over inboard cantilever front shocks
  • Front universal dogbones
  • Rear straight axle for the maximum drivetrain efficiency
  • Fully equipped with ball bearings for maximum efficiency
  • EN-2 electronic speed control for total control
  • 2.4GHz radio system for long range reception, no frequency crystals needed
  • 180-size motor for fast speeds and quick acceleration
  • 6.2v 1200mAh battery for long driving times and plenty of power
  • AC wall charger included for extra convenience
  • 4 AA batteries included for transmitter

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HPI-111224-1bce.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	1987448   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPI-111224-cfd4.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1987449  

Last edited by davievtec; 04-16-2014 at 08:04 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-16-2014, 10:02 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For drifting around in your garage, that car would be fine. As a "micro", that's about 1/18th scale. So body shells will be more limited. But that's meant for drifting on smooth surfaces, and won't do well off-road. HPI has a 1/8 scale version of that car that is large enough to handle true off-road rallying. The Traxxas Stampede is one of the most versatile trucks out there (go on YouTube and search "project shape-shifter") and can be made into almost anything, with aftermarket parts and a little ingenuity. The Stampede and the Slash are the most popular Traxxas vehicles, so parts for them should be on the wall of any hobby shop. The Slash comes in 2wd and 4wd versions. And Short Course racing is hugely popular. As are 1/8 scale buggies, in the 2wd & 4wd versions.

Some guys don't like Traxxas (too pricey, not as durable, don't like their marketing) but the fact remains they are hugely popular, and consequently easy to get. Plus RPM makes tons of aftermarket parts for the Slash and Stampede and Rustler, that make them really tough. Which is what some guys complain about: "I gotta install $100-worth of RPM parts to make my truck bashable, when it already cost me $400?"

Electric or Nitro? As Syco said, plusses and minuses with both. To me, the biggest thing between the two was the noise factor. If you're livin' in Glasgow, you've likely got lots of neighbors who might not like the scream of a nitro engine running up an down the lane, or out at the nice park where they want a little peace an quiet. But that may not be a concern. Nitro can be fun. But nitro fuel can be pricey, WAY more than pump petrol. (They ARE coming up with small displacement petrol RC motors, but I've only read about ONE.) Electric cars with modern brushless motor systems can be JUST as fast and powerful as nitro, and easier to use, overall. Truly "plug and play".

From what I've gathered around here, HPI is not one of the better brands. They have a couple models that are decent (Savage?) but the others like the Trophy do NOT have good reps. Traxxas, (although some might question that), Losi, Associated, those are the big brands, Duratrax, ECX are the entry level brands.

2wd will teach you how to drive, while 4wd is easier to drive (and probably what you want for drifting). 2wd is usually easier to work on, where 4wd is a little more complex due to the extra running gear.

If you decide to buy an RTR (Ready-To-Run) car, try not to get one that includes a battery and a charger, 'cuz they're usually crap and only add to the cost of the car. Try to get one that just has the motor system and radio gear installed, and buy your own batteries and a good charger. The chargers that come with RTRs usually charge at 1 Amp, maybe 2. OK, maybe, for the 1500mah battery included, but try charging a 5000mah pack with it, and you'll be waiting a LOOONG TIME. Being in Scotland, ordering from HobbyPatrz is not going to be cost-effective due to crazy shipping charges to the UK, but a charger LIKE this one would do you much better. http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html There are a few guys from the UK around here, so maybe they can suggest a good online place for you to shop. BUT BE CAREFUL. Read and Learn, and COMPARE. I have seen the exact same charger I linked, which sells for less than $60, advertised with someone else's sticker (HPI) slapped on it, selling for $160!

Take your time, do your research and ask questions! We ALL started where you are. We're here to help. Cheers!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:35 AM
davievtec

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
For drifting around in your garage, that car would be fine. As a "micro", that's about 1/18th scale. So body shells will be more limited. But that's meant for drifting on smooth surfaces, and won't do well off-road. HPI has a 1/8 scale version of that car that is large enough to handle true off-road rallying. The Traxxas Stampede is one of the most versatile trucks out there (go on YouTube and search "project shape-shifter") and can be made into almost anything, with aftermarket parts and a little ingenuity. The Stampede and the Slash are the most popular Traxxas vehicles, so parts for them should be on the wall of any hobby shop. The Slash comes in 2wd and 4wd versions. And Short Course racing is hugely popular. As are 1/8 scale buggies, in the 2wd & 4wd versions.

Some guys don't like Traxxas (too pricey, not as durable, don't like their marketing) but the fact remains they are hugely popular, and consequently easy to get. Plus RPM makes tons of aftermarket parts for the Slash and Stampede and Rustler, that make them really tough. Which is what some guys complain about: "I gotta install $100-worth of RPM parts to make my truck bashable, when it already cost me $400?"

Electric or Nitro? As Syco said, plusses and minuses with both. To me, the biggest thing between the two was the noise factor. If you're livin' in Glasgow, you've likely got lots of neighbors who might not like the scream of a nitro engine running up an down the lane, or out at the nice park where they want a little peace an quiet. But that may not be a concern. Nitro can be fun. But nitro fuel can be pricey, WAY more than pump petrol. (They ARE coming up with small displacement petrol RC motors, but I've only read about ONE.) Electric cars with modern brushless motor systems can be JUST as fast and powerful as nitro, and easier to use, overall. Truly "plug and play".

From what I've gathered around here, HPI is not one of the better brands. They have a couple models that are decent (Savage?) but the others like the Trophy do NOT have good reps. Traxxas, (although some might question that), Losi, Associated, those are the big brands, Duratrax, ECX are the entry level brands.

2wd will teach you how to drive, while 4wd is easier to drive (and probably what you want for drifting). 2wd is usually easier to work on, where 4wd is a little more complex due to the extra running gear.

If you decide to buy an RTR (Ready-To-Run) car, try not to get one that includes a battery and a charger, 'cuz they're usually crap and only add to the cost of the car. Try to get one that just has the motor system and radio gear installed, and buy your own batteries and a good charger. The chargers that come with RTRs usually charge at 1 Amp, maybe 2. OK, maybe, for the 1500mah battery included, but try charging a 5000mah pack with it, and you'll be waiting a LOOONG TIME. Being in Scotland, ordering from HobbyPatrz is not going to be cost-effective due to crazy shipping charges to the UK, but a charger LIKE this one would do you much better. http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html There are a few guys from the UK around here, so maybe they can suggest a good online place for you to shop. BUT BE CAREFUL. Read and Learn, and COMPARE. I have seen the exact same charger I linked, which sells for less than $60, advertised with someone else's sticker (HPI) slapped on it, selling for $160!

Take your time, do your research and ask questions! We ALL started where you are. We're here to help. Cheers!
wow thanks for all the information and i just realised that was a 1/8 scale i would prefer a 1/10 scale i think and also i dont mind about neighbours as i have a big yard and my mate owns a warehouse i can run it in i was on ebay and found a chasis that i think i might buy, i would rather build the car myself rather than buy a ready to go one same as my subaru impreza i built it didnt buy it in a sence and thanks for letting me know about the chargers i will keep my eye out for them a friend used to own a hobby shop and he said personally he wasnt into road rc cars.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:15 PM
R32GolfTA06

Hi there, I'm from Aberdeen Scotland and I'm really into my 1/10 rc car drifting.. I have had chassis like ta06 pro which are really great out of the box as they are very well balanced. I like to modified and set up my chassis to be great or even better drifters.. My latest purchase is an mst ms01d vip and I'm in the process of buying all the radio and electronic bits for it and get it drifting.. I can't wait.. I have always been a fan of brushless sensored motors.. I find nitros messy and a hassle

Last edited by R32GolfTA06; 04-16-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:22 PM
R32GolfTA06

Ps being in Scotland I get a lot of my stuff from Modelsport UK based in Leeds, Yorkshire. They are always very helpful guys, very knowledgable and usually give some discount as well. When things are Posted they arrive very quickly, usually within 2 days
Old 04-16-2014, 01:27 PM
R32GolfTA06

Davie... There is also an entire forum in here dedicated to drifting where you will see lots of tips and suggestions
Old 04-16-2014, 01:31 PM
davievtec

ahh ok i will check them out mate i will probs write it off as its my first car just dont want to spend too much then i break it beyond repair lol i am handy with a dremel and a soldering iron lol will check out the drifting forum too cheers mate
Old 04-16-2014, 01:40 PM
R32GolfTA06

Your best bet would be to buy a second hand tamiya ta05 or ta06 or tt01 chassis on eBay.. I have had some awesome finds in eBay and the stuff tends to be of decent quality, as people have spent time modifying or upgrading electronics etc and as the second hand retail value isn't particular great you can get the chassis, shell battery etc etc all in for a good price.. I'm my opinion that better for starting out rather than buying brand new stuff.. Rtr stuff in my experience is typically of poor quality and doesn't last very long or breaks easily as the parts are cheaper as a whole
Old 04-16-2014, 01:41 PM
R32GolfTA06

If you want to start a wee topic in the drifting section I'll happily answer anything you want to ask
Old 04-16-2014, 01:46 PM
davievtec

ahhh ok i was thinking that myself but im really wanting a supra shell or a silvia shell or possibly a classic subaru shell lol who makes the ta05 ta06 and tt01 ? i found a chasis on the net i will post up what it is and ya can tell me if thats any better

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=181349692462

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEOPARD-SKYRC-3300KV-12T-Brushless-Motor-60A-ESC-Speed-Controller-Combo-ME716-/261446455396?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item3cdf6c5064

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Savox-SW-0...item51badcaf99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLYSKY-RC-FS-GT3C-3ch-2-4GHz-LCD-GT3C-Transmitter-GR3C-Receiver-For-Boat-Car-/330967499610?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4d0f33435a

thats some items i have been told to use are they of decent quality ?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:11 PM
R32GolfTA06

The Sakura d3 has a large countersteer ratio as standard and can be quite hard to control if you are not used to counteersteer drifting. Counteer drifting is where the rear wheels spin faster then the front making the car unstable, and more inclined to slide out at the rear. The chassis gets the reputation for falling apart and you also need to buy quite a few extra parts to make it in anyways decent.

The ideal motor for drifting is a Brushless sensored 17.5t.. You can get away with some of the better quality 13.5t ones but they are a little fast for drifting.. The idea in proper drifting is slower, steady and controlled.. Faster motors make the car less controllable and would spin a car out more easily.. The slower motors have a smoother high end and require less throttle control and create much better drifts

savox servos are certainly good but the alturn low profile servo has equality as good stats and is a fraction of the price. You buy savox if you want the name. An alturn servo is sufficient as drifting is low grip and low traction and doesn't put any particular strain on the servo

the fsgt3 is good I personally have a fs gt2 radio gear and find it great.. And can buy it directly from Asia in eBay for less than 20 quid delivered .

hopefully I have have helped you a little but if you want to go into more details we can discuss things in the drifting forum. There is also lots of info about countersteer vs 50/50 drifting ( 50/50 is where the front and rear wheels spin at the same speed)

Last edited by R32GolfTA06; 04-16-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:45 PM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Subaru Imprezza?!! Like This?>>

Tamiya has a lot of nice scale bodies. Some already finished, as was this one. Pricey for that...it was almost $80, for a BODY! Can't get that one anymore tho.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Subievader4 Lg.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1987574