Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Questions about the Traxxas Revo 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 05:45 PM
ptopman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about the Traxxas Revo 3.3

Im thinking of getting a traxxas Revo 3.3, my heart is dead set on it. My only question about it, and the the deal breaker, is that is it durable? ie: how well does it stand up to bumps, jumps, crashes (flips). And also how it runs. I have never had a Traxxas car before, do they have many problems? how well are the diffs? how are their engines? Sorry about all the questions, just want so see how the Revo 3.3 is before I dump $600 into this car. Im looking for non-biased answers, I don't want traxxas haters yelling at me or traxxas lovers telling me its the greatest thing in the world. I want to hear the dirty details about the car, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I have had a Red Cat Racing Volcano S30 as my first car and tho I have treated it with care and maintained it properly, it is breaking over and over, its ether getting a new car or droping $200 in parts for the S30 which ill probably have to do again next year or even late this year. Again sorry about all of the questions, just want to make a good choice.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:22 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I'd get a 1/8th scale truggy like the Nexx 8t over the revo. All the Revo really has going for it is an assload of aftermarket parts which are in virtually every hobby shop, and a cool ass looking wing.

Ofna Nexx 8t if you want a RTR I heard only good things about this from owners(I own a past version). Probably will have to replace the steering servo (RTRs have crap servos anyways). Ofnas have a reputation for being damn durable

Hotbodies D8T kit I heard is also good from the owners, but you would need an engine, servos, and radio so it would equate out to anywhere between $500-$600 depending on engine, and gear bought.

But if your heart is dead set on the revo go for it I don't want to be the person to talk you out of it incase you don't care much for what I recommended. Just personally IMO the revo should be at least $200-$300 cheaper for what you get. Just remember its an engine size that is generally used in 1/10th scale cars that they put in something closer to 1/8th scale.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:02 PM
On2_n_On4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

REVO 3.3...
I had 1 for over 2 years., is not a bad truck or as fragile as a tmaxx, but I'm not impressed with it either. Way overpriced for what it is.
I sold it (and a tmaxx 3.3) about a month ago.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:25 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

edit.

Last edited by phmaximus; 04-23-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:11 PM
On2_n_On4

Well to start,
the EZstart IMO is nothing but crap.
I had 5 gone bad on me, 2 on my first gen tmaxx, 2 on a 3.3 tmaxx, and one on my revo.
The fix? What everyone always ends up doing... pull starter.

Reverse is not "a must have" but some people like/need it.
I don't think I used mine more than 2 or 3 times in over 2 years, same with my first gen... and it was more of a "lets see how it works" thing. lol
Maybe is just me but I have never needed reverse in 27 years of bashing and playing with rc cars

Crawling with nitro? sure is doable, but just like drifting... electrics have that part of the hobby well covered.

3.3 engine... I wont even get into that., most people already know is a time bomb, and most of the time that bomb has a premature detonation.

Another thing... Plastic shafts on a $550 truck is a joke IMO.

Again, I don't think is a bad truck... but I think it should be in the $300 to $400 range.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:57 AM
phmaximus

edit

Old 04-22-2014, 01:02 AM
phmaximus

edit

Old 04-22-2014, 01:25 AM
On2_n_On4

so, (in your own words) the 3.3 issue only happens to noobs???
Now I'm the one saying... don't believe what you hear. lol

by the way... I run in large open areas all the time., so no, I don't need reverse. Is nice to have it when you need it but in this case., keep the reverse, the ez start and put a better engine in it.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:16 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by phmaximus
But seriously,,,, people that say the revo is over priced what on earth are u comparing it to???? forget ofna.... lets just take them out of the equation and please explain what is it so overpriced compared to
oy so we can't say one manufacturer in particular who has the most reasonable vehicles? not really fair as HPI, Ofna, Traxxas, and the sellers of HSP vehicles are the only ones really interested in the lower end non-racers in nitro

Well the HPI bullet IMO is a better buy at $330. Little smaller, but is a HB gt10 renamed which from people that I seen who owned a GT10 all I saw gave it glowing reviews.
HPI D8T after all is said and done its still cheaper then the revo
Savage X has better parts all around, and is way more rugged. Hell can even have reverse equipped.

Revo you get a 1/10th vehicle that has plastic drive shafts for almost the price of a 1/8th race rig. Hell I'd raise the price to $700ish, and get an Associated RC8t champ race kit, a Force .28 engine, 2 servos, and a radio it would smoke a Revo for less then the Revo, and upgrades would cost just to get rid of the plastic drive shafts.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:16 PM
SandyBottom

IMHO Traxxas is over priced and has VERY POOR customer service. For the money take a look at the OFNA Ultra-2. I have driven the Ultra-2 for 2 yrs. and it has been a great nitro buggy. The materials it is made of will stand up much better than Traxxas.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:44 AM
phmaximus

edit

Last edited by phmaximus; 04-23-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:53 AM
phmaximus

edit

Last edited by phmaximus; 04-23-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:02 PM
phmaximus

im just trying to give people the right information...
if someone new to the hobby was to read your post they properly wouldn't ever buy a nitro traxxas because then engine WILL fail.
but little do they know u have only ever had one...

I just don't agree at all... I don't know where u are getting ur information from but its far from the truth.
not every traxxas engine will have problems... there is only a small percentage that have issues. just like any manufacture
u seem to think its a very common problem.... why don't we see many posts about in on RCU? ive seen heaps regarding the 12t titan motor, and ive personally killed 3 so I know they are crap... but the 3.3 engine I just think its that good, but then again I don't think its as bad as U are making it out to.

I don't love traxxas and I find that amusing.
I just get sick of people hating on traxxas,, I mean I could understand if u had owned a few different 3.3 traxxas nitro vehicles, but correct me if im wrong u have only ever owned 1 right???? and just wondering did u brake a rod....was that a no?
Ive noticed u keep advoiding what I said was the cause of the issues u had 5 times with the ezstart? just wondering what keept on failing?

oh no doubt im a fan boy when it comes to losi... I mean look how much the 5ive ****sallover the baja.... it makes a baja look like a POS
and when u spend nearly 2k on a toy I have to love it
Old 04-23-2014, 06:31 PM
phmaximus

personally I don't recommend a revo 3.3..... but that's not because they have eligible inherent problems.
its because u can buy something 1/2 the size and 1/2 the price with twice the quality
but for what a revo is I think its good value... nothing to call home about...

OMG no kidding... ive never noticed this before.... do a google image search of 3.3's with broken rods....
From what ive noticed the ones that have split the rods straight up the middle is definatly a manufacturing problem....
but the ones with snaped rods all seem to have a common thing.... look at the discoloration of the piston skirt.... what does that tell us?

PS ive edited my posts because I just don't care anymore.... I posted on this thread to help the OP not fight with RCU members. I think its time for me to move on

Last edited by phmaximus; 04-23-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:43 PM
On2_n_On4

Originally Posted by phmaximus
oh no doubt im a fan boy when it comes to losi... I mean look how much the 5ive ****sallover the baja.... it makes a baja look like a POS
and when u spend nearly 2k on a toy I have to love it

lol I know you love your 5., and thats great ...is a nice truck.
What I don't understand is why you get offended with my opinion on some traxxas items...
you are always repeating yourself comparing a 25/30lb 2wd truck with a 40lbs 4wd truck. You have nothing but negative comments about the baja.
And thats ok thats your opinion, but you don't see people getting all defensive or offended by it.
I could be wrong but do you even own a baja?
Old 04-24-2014, 08:40 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO the Revo as it comes is not as durable as what you are looking for. It has many plastic parts that need to be replaced to be more durable. The engine will work well but you have to run them very rich, watching the temps closely. They still can have rod/piston issues. I have a Jato, and I had to replace so many parts including all the gearing upgraded to hardened steel before I stopped destroying gears monthly. I didn't run the slipper clutch too tight as many will say. It just gave up repeatedly. I have heard others mention that maybe a 4 wheel 1/8 buggy might be better for you. Everyone is shouting out expensive models, but what about the Hyper 7? It is made like a tank and takes a beating straight out the box.

Originally Posted by ptopman
Im thinking of getting a traxxas Revo 3.3, my heart is dead set on it. My only question about it, and the the deal breaker, is that is it durable? ie: how well does it stand up to bumps, jumps, crashes (flips). And also how it runs. I have never had a Traxxas car before, do they have many problems? how well are the diffs? how are their engines? Sorry about all the questions, just want so see how the Revo 3.3 is before I dump $600 into this car. Im looking for non-biased answers, I don't want traxxas haters yelling at me or traxxas lovers telling me its the greatest thing in the world. I want to hear the dirty details about the car, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I have had a Red Cat Racing Volcano S30 as my first car and tho I have treated it with care and maintained it properly, it is breaking over and over, its ether getting a new car or droping $200 in parts for the S30 which ill probably have to do again next year or even late this year. Again sorry about all of the questions, just want to make a good choice.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:22 AM
pcarluvr

Originally Posted by ptopman
The way I see it is this poor guy that was seeking information before spending his hard earned cash asked a very open ended question about a product that people on here are very familiar with. The OP did not ask for what people think about other people's posts on the subject, he wanted the good,bad, and ugly. All he got was the UGLY that this forum seems to give when people ask questions and 99% of the time involves Traxxas. Heck, all I was doing was reading and now I'm pissed and want to quit this forum and I don't own a friggin Traxxas.

Last edited by Foxy; 04-24-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:33 AM
Foxy

I think a couple of members could have handled this whole situation better, but it seems to have blown over now. I've deleted some posts.

To the OP, sorry I got to this party late, cleaned it up now. For what it's worth, my opinion on your question is that there are much better cars out there than the Revo 3.3 for the money, particularly those 1/8th platforms mentioned. There really is a world of difference between a truggy and a monster truck, the truggies are more durable and more capable in every way, and in some cases (OFNA) more economical too. Win, win. Good luck bro.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:44 AM
ptopman

Thank you Foxy for clearing the thread up, and thank you for your opinion as well.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:58 AM
pcarluvr

Bud, it doesn't matter. Buy what you like. Take opinions with a grain of salt. I just bought a floor model HPI Savage 25 cause I got a deal on it. I haven't got to run it yet but if the deal happened to be on a Revo, I'd still have done it. Let us know what you decide!!!
Old 04-24-2014, 12:31 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I have had Traxxas trucks since I got into the car hobby some 16-17 years ago. I've had sport .15's, pro .15's, 2.5r's, and several 3.3's. Never any problems with the engines other than some of them are a little anemic in the power department. I only had EZ Start problems with the first generation system on a rustler. Went to a pull starter on that. My 2.5r's and 3.3's were/are all pull start except for the 3.3 in my rustler which has the gen II EZ starter and it works perfectly fine. With a good wet prime, it'll fire with a blip of the button most of the time. I think Traxxas makes a decent starter truck but I agree they are pricey. You're paying for their ridiculously fantastic marketing.

If I were to recommend a tough basher out of the box, I'd suggest a Losi monster truck. The LST, Aftershock, Raminator, and Mega Baja are all essentially the same truck with different bodies and engines. The LST2 is an LST/Aft/Ram/MB on steroids. Better axles, arms, chassis rails, servos, and engine. Reverse and hi/low range is nice but mostly worthless for what I do with them so I convert to forward only. The LST XXL is a longer LST2 with the cheap Aftershock plastic shocks and less than stellar servos. Good trucks no less, IMO. I have a pair of LST2's and have been incredibly surprised with how durable they are. Mine are mostly stock too. They quit making the LST2 some years ago; the XXL replaced it and it too is now discontinued due to the new model coming with a gasoline engine instead of a glow plug engine. Either way, a Losi MT is what I'd recommend personally. Used ones are pretty cheap compared to what they were new and with a little care, will bash a long time. Getting one to 45mph on a stock .26 or .28 engine isn't real hard to do. A stout .28 will have it on its lid in short order. About the only thing I don't see much variety with in these trucks is clutch and spur gear options. There aren't many that I've seen so getting an LST2 to beat a Revo in a drag race might be tough if one cares about that. The Revo is pretty quick for what it is.

Just my highly taxed opinion.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Large Larry

The Revo 3.3 is without a doubt the best RC ever made, anyone who says differently is absolutely and totally wrong.

Last edited by Large Larry; 04-24-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:50 PM
blvdbuzzard

Looks like a lot of hot air went on in this thread.

I have a Revo 3.3, totally stock. I am about 1/2 way though gallon #6 and so far no issues. I have replaced the tires and rims, kept it clean, bashed but never abused it. I do not run it lean, I do not hold it full throttle while upside down over revving the engine. Mine runs pretty good. My EZ start would not grab the shaft to start it. Found out it was just full of oil from the fuel. Blast of carb cleaner and all is good.

Is it the best truck out there, yes, no and maybe, all depends on who you ask. Mine has served me well. Yes it is high dollar, but what is not these days?

Would I buy it again, I would have to say no, I would get some thing like the E-Revo. I am replacing most of my glow with E power.

Buzz.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:03 PM
robwiljas

I've never owned a Revo 3.3 but I've owned 2 E-Revo brushless editions and a few other models with the 3.3 in them. Personally I would stay away from it. I've never had good luck with the 3.3 and with 22 years in the hobby and never having trouble with any other engine, it's definitely not because I'm a "noob". As for the rest of the truck, it's not horrible but it's not great either. There are much better choices for the money.