Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My boy is ready for RC!

the weather is finally warming up here, and ive had my 4 year old son outside with a Xmods 1/16 buggy. It is 2.4, proportional and 4wd. It does around 8mph...faster than your average toy rc. Ive noticed he is getting better at controlling it. Ive seen him aim the buggy at his sister's feet
    Just a couple of months ago he would drive the buggy and just wiggle the steering wheel back and forth. Now he is actually trying to control the direction.

Yesterday I took him out but the batteries went flat on him. so, I handed him the remote to my sc10 RC. The radio has throttle end points, so I turned it all the way down. now it could do maybe 10mph. He did pretty well with it, didn't really hit anything and showed he is getting better.

He is actually fine with the slow speed of his xmod, but it doesn't have good ground clearance and can get stuck easy. and another rear shock tower broke on it and im out of spares. (not complaining, it is actually decent for a $40 toy)

so im debating his 1st real RC. A SCT makes some sense as they are low and wide, thus pretty stable. But I cant afford a 4wd one, and I want him to be able to drive most anywhere and not get stuck easy.
    so my next thought is a wheely king. Specifically, a WK with just the rear axle locked. the WK's stock speed may be a touch much, but I could change the pinion gear if I wanted to.
    my only concern on the wheely king is that it is top heavy and he is likely to put it on its lid a lot.
    I also didn't want a AM radio with huge antenna.....but I only just found out that now they come with a 2.4ghz radio! I have to say tho, it may be the ugliest 2.4 radio I have ever seen!!!
    If anyone has a WK with the new 2.4 radio, can you LMK how well it works, and if it would fit well in the hands of a small kid?

I have also considered the Telluride. I don't think it is as cool looking as the WK, and it would be $50 more. But I don't think it is as top heavy, but still is 4wd. Also not sure I trust the titan to last long in that truck, even if it is geared to only go 15mph.

anyone think of another sub $300 RTR 4wd model?
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    not RTR
    go DF-02 kit you know it could be completed for under that

WK yea is top heavy like a ****, but that was to allow it to wheely
    Been ages since I had a stock WK, but I don't remember it rolling over easily though even though it was top heavy as the suspension was pretty soft.

Bonus with the WK if he ever gets tired of it you can buy an axial rail kit, tranny(or make your own rails for the stock WK tranny), and make a slightly wider SCX10
    Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 05-01-2014 at 10:20 AM.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM View Post
    not RTR
    go DF-02 kit you know it could be completed for under that

WK yea is top heavy like a ****, but that was to allow it to wheely
    Been ages since I had a stock WK, but I don't remember it rolling over easily though even though it was top heavy as the suspension was pretty soft.

Bonus with the WK if he ever gets tired of it you can buy an axial rail kit, tranny(or make your own rails for the stock WK tranny), and make a slightly wider SCX10
    nothing wrong with the DF-02, but I want something that will go threw sand, tall grass ect. no buggy is gonna work. I most likely will just go with the WK, I mean, I don't think anything else that is waterproof, RTR/battery/2.4ghz and 4wd with decent ground clearance is $200 shipped. That really is a good deal for the money. And since he is young, a monster truck will appeal to him the most I think.

Just wanted to ask incase I missed something. kinda been out of the RC loop for a few months. I recently started scratch building planes and haven't been on RCU much lately.

I would prefer to buy him a SCX10...but finding a used one that doesn't cost as much as a new one is hard. Tho, I was really pissed a week ago, as I missed a ad on Clist for a scx10 and traxxas 1/10 rally...both for just $200!!! The axial needed spur gear and the rally needed a motor, but both came with batteries and spare parts. naturally when I called they were already gone

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Something similar to the wheely king would be the RedCat Ground Pounder. I haven't driven mine all that much but it's pretty stable and I only tipped mine over on pretty uneven terrain. My only concern with it is the axles need some shimming as they're pretty sloppy but I bought mine used. The radio is 2.4 and I think would be fine in small hands, just don't tell him about the button that switches between the steering modes. He'll be switching between standard steering, rear steer, 4ws and crab walk all the time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner View Post
    nothing wrong with the DF-02, but I want something that will go threw sand, tall grass ect. no buggy is gonna work. I most likely will just go with the WK, I mean, I don't think anything else that is waterproof, RTR/battery/2.4ghz and 4wd with decent ground clearance is $200 shipped. That really is a good deal for the money. And since he is young, a monster truck will appeal to him the most I think.

Just wanted to ask incase I missed something. kinda been out of the RC loop for a few months. I recently started scratch building planes and haven't been on RCU much lately.

I would prefer to buy him a SCX10...but finding a used one that doesn't cost as much as a new one is hard. Tho, I was really pissed a week ago, as I missed a ad on Clist for a scx10 and traxxas 1/10 rally...both for just $200!!! The axial needed spur gear and the rally needed a motor, but both came with batteries and spare parts. naturally when I called they were already gone
    ahh tall grass ok then yea a buggy would not do that.
    WK on the other hand would tackle that no issue
    Yea noticed you not posting as much recently. As far as vehicles... from what I seen not a hell of a lot has changed, or came out in recent months that would be even remotely near what you want.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive View Post
    Something similar to the wheely king would be the RedCat Ground Pounder. I haven't driven mine all that much but it's pretty stable and I only tipped mine over on pretty uneven terrain. My only concern with it is the axles need some shimming as they're pretty sloppy but I bought mine used. The radio is 2.4 and I think would be fine in small hands, just don't tell him about the button that switches between the steering modes. He'll be switching between standard steering, rear steer, 4ws and crab walk all the time.
    hadn't thought of the GP. but I have owned one before. Not as sturdy as a wheely king. The solid links don't give like the wheely kings plastic links. The GP is also a fair bit heavier. On the one I had owned, I broke the lower link mounts on the axle a couple of times. and that was on jumps far less stressful than what I know the wheely king can handle.
    And I know for sure he would be hitting the 4 wheel steering button. He is still learning to drive a model that just steers the front wheels, id hate to see how much trouble he would have with 4 wheel steering.

In some ways the GP is closer to a scale monster truck than the wheely king. I do wish that the mount points on the axle were stronger. I have seen some guys build theirs up to even handle brushless, which is nuts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    the local park has sand, then there is the skate park, then we go to a park sometimes that has wood chips and nearby is a field I fly at that has normal height grass. So I want to get him something that will work any of the places I take him when I use my rc's.

I just need to finish paying for my SC10, then I think ill go for the wheely king. I will need to try and buy a larger mah pack tho, I don't think 2000mah will be enough for the boy.

2 days ago, he was driving his xmods buggy, I was driving my rs10 and my 12 year old daughter was driving my vaterra Kalahari (with throttle at 70%) It was fun for all.

Maj, I could always get the wheely king and then put GP wheels/tires on it! That would both widen the stance and give even more ground clearance. The GP has the largest 12mm hex wheels I know of.

actually, I had them on a custom wheely king once:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    GP doesn't have foams in the tires (doesn't feel like it anyway) and the wheels are a standard offset. They are a big diameter wheel for 12mm hex though.

Yeah ah I noticed the used GP I bought came with extra link mounts so I assumed they broke them once before. I'm actually in the process of making my own axle braces that will solve the link mount problem without relocating the link mount lower like the Hess braces do.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    GP doesn't have foams in the tires (doesn't feel like it anyway) and the wheels are a standard offset. They are a big diameter wheel for 12mm hex though.

Yeah ah I noticed the used GP I bought came with extra link mounts so I assumed they broke them once before. I'm actually in the process of making my own axle braces that will solve the link mount problem without relocating the link mount lower like the Hess braces do.
    seems like I have seen aftermarket alloy braces before, but maybe they are like the Hess ones you mention.

the wheely king I did used earthquake 8e wheels/tires....same thing really except they do come with foams.

I dug around in my rc room and found this old radio shack chassis I had bought some time back. I had run this last summer with a basic esc, stock motor and a 2s lipo. the lipo had to be strapped to the side, cause the stock tray (on bottom) only can hold a 6cell nimh.
    It ran around for a while until a tie rod got bent.

Well, I bent it back, made some body mounts and put a old sc10 body on it. I slapped a Tamiya esc and radio and gave it a spin. It does fairly well, tho the turn radius isn't that tight. It is 4wd (solid rear, independent front) and fairly large (and heavy) so it can go many places.
    Sadly, the Tamiya ESC doesn't seem to be up to the task. After just a few minutes of running around the yard I checked it and got 140 degrees on the temp gun.
    But if I can snag a cheap xl5 or something like that I should have the thing running (recently bought a 4200mah 6cell for a bandit) and can let my boy run it until I can buy a wheely king.
    I wish I could see some close up pics of the wheely king's 2.4 radio. I have an exceed for this radio shack compilation and right away I notice my boy cant go into reverse (or brake) without using his left hand. his fingers are not long enough to push the trigger all the way forward. Hopefully, the wheely kings radio will have a closer trigger, or one with a shorter throw. At the very least, the wheely king wont hurt as much if it hits something or someone. this radio shack thing is a good 10 pounds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHTO0771.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	1991717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHTO0770.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	1991718Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHTO0769.JPG 
Views:	21 
ID:	1991720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHTO0767.JPG 
Views:	24 
ID:	1991721Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHTO0768.JPG 
Views:	27 
ID:	1991722

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Just two thoughts for helping out kids with small hands who can't use the brake yet. First is using an esc that has a drag brake, simply letting go of the throttle can stop the vehicle. If you set the throttle trim right you can also achieve this with any esc, just disable reverse. Second is modifying the radio. Obviously this is only for those with a cheap radio they don't care about using for any other purpose. You can cut the backside of the grip down as far as you want to get their fingers closer to the trigger. Expanding foam would work great to reinforce the grip and also to build it back up for shaping. Finish by wrapping it in a layer of electrical tape. Everybody is different but the drop down wheel of my nephews 3pk really helped him out when he was younger.
    Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 05-02-2014 at 01:09 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    ill keep the "crawler type" esc with drag brake in mind. had not thought of that.

I just let him drive a full battery threw the "junk yard" machine. Somehow the ESC didn't catch fire. It probly helped that the brand new 4200mah nimh battery only lasted 10 minutes or so. this truck is heavy and really sucks some juice! But he was thrilled with it's 15mph speed and 4wd. He thought it was just as fast as daddy's sc10 (not, but I was chasing him around at 1/3 throttle for a while)
    I have a "junk yard" bandit I am setting up for my daughter, but I may let him drive it some as well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by collector1231 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	myboy.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	1992255
    Take it you liked CDI zelda enough to put a RC controller into a pic from it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    my boy has driven the radio shack junk yard rig with sc10 body a few times now. I have to get some video of it, cause it is actually fairly quick considering its weight and what is powering it. and with a solid rear axle and stiff springs the rear end some times takes some crazy bounces. He loves it tho, it is quick enough and has enough traction to drive most places.
    Now I just have to save up for a wheely king, if he likes the junk yard rig, he will love a wheely king. The junk yard rig makes short work of a 4200mah nimh! And he is only 4, so no battery will ever give enough runtime for him. But im sure a wheely king would get better runtimes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner View Post
    The junk yard rig makes short work of a 4200mah nimh! And he is only 4, so no battery will ever give enough runtime for him.
    Is it charged yet dad? Is it charged yet? Lol. Little kids waiting for a battery to be charged is funny and requires patience on your part!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Is it charged yet dad? Is it charged yet? Lol. Little kids waiting for a battery to be charged is funny and requires patience on your part!
    it is more like "Daddy its bwoken" every time the battery runs out. He thinks it must be broken because mine is still going, but brushless with a 5000mah lipo lasts much longer than a brushed with a 4200 nimh.
    Then when we get back to the house he wants to put it on the charger 1st thing. I have to tell him several times that the battery has to cool down first.

but it is certainly more fun to drive my sc10 with him having a rig to drive. He loves it if I try to chase his truck with mine. Tho, he drove that beast over my sc10 the other day, leaving some nice tire marks on it.
    But, I knew that when he got old enough to drive that my RC spending was going to have to increase.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I went through the same thing with my nephew. My brother inlaw got tired of it and decided nitro would be a better choice. That was a mistake and turned out to be more annoying for me because I had to do the tuning all the time. Either way my nephew always get some kind of rc parts from me for his birthday and Christmas. I don't mind though, makes shopping for him easy!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    well, I realized today that the runtimes on the 4200mah nimh are not so short....but rather the ESC is thermal shutdown! It stopped moving much sooner today (but it was a warmer day) so I turned it off/on and it worked for a minute then stopped again. let it rest and cool off for 5 minutes and then it ran for another 5-6 minutes before thermal.
    So, this thing really needs a better ESC. which makes sense, the Tamiya esc is made for 3-6 pound Rcs....and this thing weighs about 10 pounds. on top of that, it believe it is geared low (lots of torque, only 15mph) and since the boy generally drives WOT it is surely pulling some amps.

Still, it is working to get his hands used to the controls. One wheel is damaged (the bead) so im not sure how long it will last. Hopefully at least until I can afford a wheely king.

Save youre money and buy a second hand roller and new elecs,I like 2wd hpi firestorm-rustler because ive never broken anything and thats running them over 80mph plus and makes for a challenge trying to control them but doesnt mean you have to have it going that quick.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Not sure if your still looking. But I picked up a Arrma Granite for my son a couple months ago. It's a decent Monster Truck and tears through all the tall grass at my house. Pretty decent speed and handling.