Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New Redcats Vortex SS

Old 05-13-2014, 04:42 PM
starguard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Redcats Vortex SS

Had it a few months and haven't done anything with it yet. Waited for the weather to warm up a bit before taking it out of the box. I need to know the best fuel for the stock 3.0 engine it came with.

* What Brand is best...

* How much Nitro (10%, 20% 50% ect..)

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Old 05-15-2014, 04:36 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Fuel? Go with the cheapest at your LHS. Nitro percentage isn't important. Just tune your Volcano right and you're on your way!
Old 05-15-2014, 05:33 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I like O'donnels it was the 2nd Nitro fuel I tried. 1st being Traxxas top fuel which I found to be pretty bad due to the extreme amount of oil they put in it.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:45 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

% of nitro is important. depending on the motor...and the tune. In other words, a 20% and a 30% will require a different tune.
to my understanding, the higher the nitro % the motor power it is possible to extract from the motor. That said, for something like a low cost redcat you don't want to tune for absolute max power...as your motor will not last as long.
20% nitro is what will likely work the best. it will have plenty of kick and speed.

Read up and watch videos about how to break in your motor. This is time consuming, but do it right and you will love that motor. Do it wrong and it will be picky, hard to tune and just a pain in the butt. Then you will curse nitro and hate redcat (cause if you take it to a hobby shop for help they will tell you that you should have bought a traxxas and that redcat is crap. this happens a lot)
Check all screws and the gear mesh before running.
Have a temp gun. It is safer to do breakin and tuning with a temp gun. It helps take the guess work out of it.

the important thing with break in the motor is to slowly raise the motor temps with each tank.

also, use a hair dryer to pre-heat the motor. They are hard to pull start before they are broken in. I had a pull cord break on me while trying to break in the motor....I did not preheat my motor. Having to wait for a new pull starter and spend $18 right away kinda sucked. Be careful of over-pulling the starter. You don't have to pull it very far.
Don't forget to do the proper after-run cleanup of your nitro. removing all fuel from the tank/carb/motor. Fuel left will attract moisture (rust) and gum up after some time.
Nitros are fun, but they take some time and work to break in, tune, and clean up.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:23 AM
starguard

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner
% of nitro is important. depending on the motor...and the tune. In other words, a 20% and a 30% will require a different tune.
to my understanding, the higher the nitro % the motor power it is possible to extract from the motor. That said, for something like a low cost redcat you don't want to tune for absolute max power...as your motor will not last as long.
20% nitro is what will likely work the best. it will have plenty of kick and speed.

Read up and watch videos about how to break in your motor. This is time consuming, but do it right and you will love that motor. Do it wrong and it will be picky, hard to tune and just a pain in the butt. Then you will curse nitro and hate redcat (cause if you take it to a hobby shop for help they will tell you that you should have bought a traxxas and that redcat is crap. this happens a lot)
Check all screws and the gear mesh before running.
Have a temp gun. It is safer to do breakin and tuning with a temp gun. It helps take the guess work out of it.

the important thing with break in the motor is to slowly raise the motor temps with each tank.

also, use a hair dryer to pre-heat the motor. They are hard to pull start before they are broken in. I had a pull cord break on me while trying to break in the motor....I did not preheat my motor. Having to wait for a new pull starter and spend $18 right away kinda sucked. Be careful of over-pulling the starter. You don't have to pull it very far.
Don't forget to do the proper after-run cleanup of your nitro. removing all fuel from the tank/carb/motor. Fuel left will attract moisture (rust) and gum up after some time.
Nitros are fun, but they take some time and work to break in, tune, and clean up.
Thanks.....a lot
Old 05-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by collector1231
Fuel? Go with the cheapest at your LHS. Nitro percentage isn't important. Just tune your Volcano right and you're on your way!
In my opinion that's some really bad advice. If all the LHS stocks is 10-20% land fuel he might get lucky and pick something decent, but that's an awfully risky assumption. If the LHS stocks 30% or plane fuel that availible in various nitro and oil content he could be in trouble if he picks that up. 99.9% of the time you can't just fill up with 30% and go, you need to add a head shim, change the glow plug heat range, etc. I can only imagine what would happen to a RedCat if you put 30% in the tank, even with changes it would probably throw the rod in about 1/2 a tank. Put 5% nitro plane fuel in the tank and it'll be an underpowered pig if he can get it to run right at all.

20% nitro land fuel is the standard go to fuel. It's very rare that a manufacturer recommends 10% nitro for land vehicles. With 10% performance is lower and there's no real benefits like ease of tuning or anything like that. I personally liked Odonnells as well when I still ran nitro.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 05-17-2014 at 11:49 AM.