Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Crazy idea for a new project

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 04:18 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Crazy idea for a new project

Call me crazy I know but I've had an idea for a new project...

Turbo Nitro 12v generator....

A buddy of mine is giving me a Traxxas 3.3 with fuel tank and exhaust. I plan to mount it on a piece of wood with a small generator. Then attach either 1 or 2 tiny turbo key chains, It's probably not going to work to well but should be cool if it runs and u can here the turbo spool up.

if anything it's going to be a novelty kind of thing, but if it works it will be a funny way to power my chargers

http://youtu.be/thsAKbE_dDc

Last edited by phmaximus; 04-09-2014 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:34 AM
phmaximus

I've had a few ideas on how to do it.... But I think it's going to be trial and error...

as for mounting the turbo to the exhaust I thought initially it would be easy to plumb it into the stinger... That way it shouldn't effect the the exhaust flow and pulsing through the expansion chamber... But then I thought it would be much cooler to have 2 mini turbo mounted straight out of the header with the expansion chamber after but I'm worried that will effect the pulsing....

then the next thing I've been thinking of is where to supply the fuel.... Like before the easiest option would be to mount the carby directly to the turbo then plumb it from the turbo to the intake like a draw through setup... But with that it's going to have a bad throttle response time and it would make inter cooling verify difficult.... So I got to thinking about how I could do it with out blowing out the seals in the carby.... The only way I can think is completely incase the carby within a air tight box. Then I could do a blow through setup with a custom water to air intercooler with a tiny water cooling system

one big question.... Is there a way to silence a nitro motor like they do with 1/5 gas motors?
Old 04-09-2014, 04:39 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

They used to make small generators (it might have been a kit even) using small airplane engines to drive the generator. A brushless outrunner motor and some ingenuity and it can certainly be made to work. Here's a pretty elaborate 4-stroke generator. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VOayHpHfqfI

I'd suggest getting the engine/generator setup and working first, then add the bling after.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 04-09-2014 at 04:42 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:45 AM
phmaximus

Hopefully because it's got a metal shielded ball bearing it should be more resistant to heat and the oil in the exhaust should help keep it nice and lubricated. Only thing I've to to watch is over spooling the turbo....if I knew if it would produce positive air pressure I could rig up a wastgate and screamer pipe... But I tuntill I know that Its going to be anyone guess if it will over spool and fail.

my theory is to try to blow more fuel/air mix into it, than what can escape through the exhaust. If I can achieve this it will effectively be a boosted engine.

Crazy eh?
Old 04-09-2014, 04:48 AM
phmaximus

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
They used to make small generators (it might have been a kit even) using small airplane engines to drive the generator. A brushless outrunner motor and some ingenuity and it can certainly be made to work. Here's a pretty elaborate 4-stroke generator. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VOayHpHfqfI

I'd suggest getting the engine/generator setup and working first, then add the bling after.
id have to agree there.... As much as the little boy inside me says.... Turbo, turbo ,turbo...
That will be my first goal. Get it running normally with a little generator reliably first... As I'm doubtfull the turbo will work so I want to make sure I have a running setup before restricting the exhaust and intake.... Still I'm excited
Old 04-09-2014, 04:56 AM
phmaximus

Oh wow... Thanks for that video... That's awesome!!! Exactly the thing I'm visioning but on a nice stained and varnished peice of wood and a little silver or gold name plate... He he he... Only thing I have no idea on building a generator. I only know the basic theory so it's going to be a great learning curve...

just had another crazy idea.... A water cooled nitro would look even better.... I've got a old brass heater core from a real car that polished up would make a nice bling bling radiator...

Just need to find one for the 3.3
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJMJ2&P=FR
Old 04-09-2014, 05:59 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be following this Ph. Seems like a neat little toy you're thinking of.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:06 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

You should find a CPU heat sink from a computer, the Pentium IV's used a more usable sized coolers. They're liquid nitrogen cooled I think, but easily could be converted for liquid. Here's an aftermarket unit: http://www.alancomputech.com/hp-pent...Fa5DMgodg04AzA

A brushless outrunner motor will work, which one I am unsure of though. You'd need a voltage regulator and rectifier circuit to stabilize the power output.

As as for the turbos, the back pressure created between the exhaust port and the impeller is usually enough to keep the fuel charge from blowing out the exhaust port. Snowmobiles have had turbos for awhile now on 2-strokes. The compressor side is going to need to be totally sealed and I agree a blow-through setup should work fine. Probably better to encase the whole carb but likely not necessary. I'd be mocking up a system to test the pressure output of the mini hair dryers using compressed air to drive them to see if they produce any real positive pressure.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:09 AM
phmaximus

ha ha funny u mention that about the PC coolers I was just looking at some and had the same thought... lol

well by the looks on snowmobiles they are mounting the turbo after the expansion chamber onto the stinger with a short dump pipe....
but the looks doing it that way would be easy to do.
so im thinking a "y" adapter and run 2 of the little suckers or should I say blowers....
Old 04-09-2014, 08:28 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

My auto shop teacher always called turbochargers "hair dryers". They kinda resemble a hair dryer I guess.

I have a RB Innovations supercharger I got with a box of misc parts from a buddy. I don't have any of the mounting brackets or air ducting but it's got the pulleys and flywheel. I entertained the idea of testing it on a aircraft 4-stroke for a pet project but haven't had time. I'm still trying to finish my big outrigger airboat.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:48 PM
smeckert

There was a g scale (garden railway ) train engine that had an OS Max 10 nitro motor hooked to a generator , powering traction motors .
Old 04-09-2014, 08:48 PM
phmaximus

Hopefully within the next few weeks I'll get the engine. But I dare say its going to take awhile to get all the rest of the bits.

first thing I'm thinking.... polishing the motor for that bling look and get a water cooled head.
but I'm having second thought about water cooling it because the 3.3 will look strange and it won't be instantly recognisable as a traxxas 3.3.

Luckly it's got a ezstart starter fitted so starting it shouldn't be a issue but tuning it might be a little bit tricky.
im trying to work out a way to tune the HSN with out over revving the engine....I thought I could tune it like I would a chainsaw... Ie full throttle then adjust the needel, but I need a way to place a load on the motor...
One thought was a old DC 540 brushed motor with positive and negative shorted out connected..
Or
run a small nylon strap over the clutch bell acting like a friction strap found on old excersises bikes
Old 04-09-2014, 08:51 PM
phmaximus

Originally Posted by smeckert
There was a g scale (garden railway ) train engine that had an OS Max 10 nitro motor hooked to a generator , powering traction motors .
Cheerz m8, I'll defiantly have a lookinto that. When I read that I had all these crazy ideas of a 1/5 8x8 crawler truck, 26cc gas engine and generator with a sensored brushless combo... Lol
Old 04-09-2014, 08:56 PM
phmaximus

Oh... I better mention, I'm not a Traxxas fan boy and I'm not saying anything bad about them. it's just this motor is free and I thought because of traxxas's reputation I thought it would be funny .

i think I've just got this thing about been a under dog, I mean after all, I do drive a Ford...
Old 04-09-2014, 10:23 PM
On2_n_On4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can't wait to see pics of that rod lol
Old 04-10-2014, 03:55 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

In the video link I posted, if you look at the front of the engine where it connects to the outrunner motor there is a small 3 bladed propellor for cooling the engine. If built right, doing something like that will load the engine enough to tune the needles. I doubt you'll be running the engine WOT so the low needle will the needle to adjust. What you'll have to do is get the engine running and put a load on it and tune the needle until it cleans up and runs smooth.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:26 PM
phmaximus

See how we go, but at this stage I just want to get it running with a 1/2 decent tune... I figure with some creative thinking I should be able to do it with out spending any money on a generator or custom fan and mounts.... That stuff will come later... As I plan to but a few bits each week
Old 06-07-2014, 03:17 AM
phmaximus

Well it's been a while but I finally got the turbo keyring..... Here are some close ups from the seller

Old 06-07-2014, 03:25 AM
phmaximus

The bore of the turbo exhaust housing was cylinder shaped and the hole for the exhaust intake did not transition into the housing very well. So I've smoothed that and re shaped the housing to direct more flow around the impeller

Ie. I Dremel'd a tapered channel around the housing. To get the gas swirling around the housing and impeller....

It's made a big difference... There is a noticeable rpm increase and is a lot less restrictive when blowing through it....

ATM I'm currently making a flange plate and dump pipe for the back of the turbo.... Out of a washer an a old HengLong alloy BB gun barrel.

My biggest focus is to be able to get the turbo to spool so I'm paying the most attention to the exhaust side. My plan is to see it the turbo will effect the running of the nitro motor before plumbing it into the carby.

but I'm still yet to get the engine of my buddy

Last edited by phmaximus; 06-07-2014 at 03:45 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:33 AM
phmaximus

Well I've to 3 bridges to cross to get more done...

1. pick up up the engine
(I've got to get of my butt and pay the postage)

2. Workout a way to attach the turbo to the stinger
(I had a thought of tapping out the stinger and turbo so it screws straight onto the stinger?)

3. If I'm to high flow the compressor, the sections that I need to remove are the screw holes. So it possible will need another way of securing the 1/2 together of the front compressor.
(some king of high temp glue or silicon?

Last edited by phmaximus; 06-07-2014 at 03:47 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:40 AM
phmaximus

Then once I get those sused I can start working on reshaping the compressor housing. But I suspect the keyring I got is a fake.... It's got different impellers to the pics of the genuine ones... see pic..

So I need to find out if I can buy the impellers separately.... Apparently there is a new lightweight 3d printed impeller I'm intrested in for the cold side
Old 06-07-2014, 07:22 PM
phmaximus

Yay!

Well ill here is the dump pipe so far... I'm thinking a smear of I weld should to the job

Old 06-07-2014, 08:21 PM
phmaximus

Well I've changed my mind... The dump pipe is to restrictive... Just blowing through it I can feel a difference so I'm just going to use the washer
Old 06-07-2014, 08:22 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Awesome man! Can't wait to see how it runs!
Old 06-08-2014, 12:11 AM
sdgnsghu

Call me crazy I know but I've had an idea for a new project...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.