Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Need a car for my lipos

ok i had a few traxxas revos 1/16th scale. but i have sold the lot. and im after a offroad car for my kid. my main thing i want from it is a long run time. as the bash spot is small. and i really want to use the lipos i already have ok the lipos a standard size 4s 5000mah and 3s 2200mah
    MORE THAN 20 RC CARS AT THE MOMENT. BUT IM CUTTING DOWN HONEST. LOL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    hum, most vehicles I would recommend to someone for their kid will not run on a 4s. That is a lot of power/speed.
    and most any brushed RTR truck will not handle a 3s lipo.
    That would narrow it down to a brushless RTR 1/10 scale truck. But again, it will be a pretty fast truck on that battery!

Given the situation, I would say the team associated SC10rs. Why? first it is a great truck, can take a beating and handles well. Second, the radio has a throttle end point trim. This means you can run the 3s but set the top speed to what you feel the kids can handle....as little as 10mph. I have a sc10rs that I run on 2s lipos (still good for 35mph) and I simply turn down the throttle end point all the way and give the remote to my 4 year old boy. And as he gets better, I can dial up the speed a bit.
    And, if you limit the speed this way, you will get a pretty decent runtime.

still, if it were me, I would get something like the sc10rs but I would sell my 4s and 3s and then buy a couple of 2s 5000mah packs (can be had for $30) You should get enough just from the 4s to buy a new 2s pack.
    While the 3s could work in the sc10rs, it is kind of a low mah battery to use in a 1/10. I prefer 4000-5000mah packs.
    A 2s 5000mah pack in the sc10rs with the throttle turned down to say 50% will get a good 40-50 minutes of runtime...maybe more.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    cheers i will look into the team associated SC10rs as for lipos the ones i have fit my other trucks so i don't really want to start getting any other sizes. unless i really have to. i could let my kid run one of my monster trucks slowed down but the run time will still not be a lot. lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by turok007 View Post
    cheers i will look into the team associated SC10rs as for lipos the ones i have fit my other trucks so i don't really want to start getting any other sizes. unless i really have to. i could let my kid run one of my monster trucks slowed down but the run time will still not be a lot. lol
    the sc10rs with the throttle turned down will get a good runtime on the 3s.
    I cant think of any truck/buggy suitable for kids that will run on the 4s. Most everything running on 4s is 1/8 scale and brushless.
    Back to the 3s, you can look into the traxxas 1/10 scale brushless models. The VXL models have a 50% throttle model on the ESC. Not as adjustable as the throttle end point on the sc10's radio, but it would still make the model run slower on a 3s and thus get more runtime. But a traxxas vxl on 3s can run 60mph....so figure 25-30mph at 50%. That is still pretty fast, especially for a small area.

I am sure there are some other RTR models that come with a radio that has throttle end points, just non I know about off hand.

I have a flysky GT3c radio. For a $60 radio it can do a lot. It has model memory, and it has throttle end points. Soo, you could buy that radio plus a few extra receivers (they are $10) and thus setup your big brushless trucks for the kids to drive. It is pretty easy to use the LCD menu to set the throttle to the % you want for any model. Again, this will not only limit the speed so the kids can handle them, but double or triple the runtime.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    no traxxas for me again lol i have sold almost all of my traxxas stuff over the last few months. and the VXL systems don't do to well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    ive been hit-or-miss on the VXL systems. some have lasted a long time, others did not. Fortunately, traxxas did replace 3 ESC's over the years.

I will say, I have had a slash (rustler, pede, bandit ect) and it is not as good as a stock SC10rs. sure, with rpm upgrades and some metal drive shafts it is a tank, but in stock form not as tough as the sc10 IMO. and the sc10 handles better.
    I have 25 lipo packs threw my sc10rs (figure that is about 12 hours total) and except for the rear tires wearing out (the rs version has softer rear tires than the brushed version) I haven't had to fix a single thing! and I have driven it as hard as any kid would.

My sc10rs was $310 with a 2s 5000mah lipo threw tower hobbies (I have tower saver membership, so shipping was free) Not at all bad for a tough, good handling, brushless RTR. I could have gotten it for under $300, but the coupon was $40 if you spend over $300 and the lipo was $35 or $40...so I basically got it for free.

what are the trucks that you use the 3s and 4s lipos in?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    the 4s packs get used in my mt4g3 and st4g3 and i have alot of 3s 2200mah for my planes and quads. i do have a couple of 5000mah 3s packs for a quad that might come in handy then.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If you want long runtime look into getting a 1/10 vehicle, stick the 4s in it and go with a low kv motor. Higher voltage and low kv is more efficient than low voltage high kv. On another forum a guy had a 2wd Slash (I know no Traxxas for you) on 4s with a 3650 1600kv(?) motor and it ran for about an hour on 4s 5000mah. No dealing with 2s2p 8000mah brick packs and having one of the parallel cells die before the other. The weight of the packs is also the same but you have more power. Power and speed can always be adjusted by the esc or endpoints of the radio.

The 3s 2200mah in my opinion is too small for a 1/10 vehicle, maybe if you parallel two packs together but that's a pain. If you parallel two packs together make sure the voltage is as close as possible as one pack will try to charge the other. Wire provides no resistance so one pack will discharge faster than it's C-rating while the other will charge faster than it's C-rating. If you do try it in a 1/10 as a single pack gear conservatively and watch the pack's temps. I'd personally look into something like the Mini 8ight-t 1/14 truggy as it would be about perfect for the 3s 2200mah pack. I had a mini 8ight and it was a fun durable little buggy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    the 5000mah 3s packs would be way better for a sc10 or other brushless 1/10 than the 2200mah packs.
    Put a 5000mah 3s into a sc10 with the throttle turned down to 30 or 40% (plenty fast for the kids) and you should see an hour of runtime.