Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

way to go traxxas

Old 06-03-2014, 05:41 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default way to go traxxas

while traxxas makes many great RC's, I fail to understand the direction they are taking their company.

The most recent traxxas email to hit my inbox was showing the wonderful new addition to the TQi....Bluetooth! Now you don't even have to attach your phone or device to the remote, the info (most of which is useless) can go wirelessly to your device.

Seriously? Is this supposed to impress? What next...will they install a device that turns on your RC when you clap?

But I suppose if they put this new feature on their models then they can up the prices another $20.

I really hope other rc companies don't follow this trend of traxxas'.

If you disagree that is fine...traxxas obviously feels that enough people will want such a feature on their RCs. I would rather traxxas ditch their plastic slider shafts and add on Bluetooth.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:15 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner
while traxxas makes many great RC's, I fail to understand the direction they are taking their company.

The most recent traxxas email to hit my inbox was showing the wonderful new addition to the TQi....Bluetooth! Now you don't even have to attach your phone or device to the remote, the info (most of which is useless) can go wirelessly to your device.

Seriously? Is this supposed to impress? What next...will they install a device that turns on your RC when you clap?

But I suppose if they put this new feature on their models then they can up the prices another $20.

If you disagree that is fine...traxxas obviously feels that enough people will want such a feature on their RCs. I would rather traxxas ditch their plastic slider shafts and add on Bluetooth.
Can see it now Traxxas the fastest name in RC NOW WITH THE CLAPPER so you can start your RC faster then before!!!
Old 06-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Large Larry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm all for new features but who really cares whether their radio has bluetooth or not. As long as they don't think they can charge for useless stuff like this then they can add as much of it as they like afaic.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:15 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I can understand Traxxas wanting to make a Radio with a nice, big, color touch screen and that the Apple device route would make the radio cheaper to make. Then there was the complaining from people who didn't have an Apple device and couldn't use it. I can only assume the Bluetooth is meant as a way for people without an Apple device (or an Apple device with the new dock connector) to get the same functionality but with their phone in their pocket instead of mounted to the radio. That way Traxxas only has to develop an Android and /or Windows App instead of a bunch of new connectors and cradles.

What bugs me is how Traxxas half assed the TQi. The radio has the potential to be more than the radio with an optional gimmick it is now and to be a more professional radio system. I mean where's the channel mixing, subtrim, ABS? It's just a matter of programming but they cheaped out on it. If it had the things you expect of a quality radio combined with the TQi's Telemetry and datalogging I'd be all over it but it's not worth it without those features.

The other thing they didn't realize the full potential of is Castle Link Live. Castle Link Live is built into the MMM since the XO1 (Extreme) version came out and allows communication between the radio and esc to give telemetry and adjust the settings of the esc on the fly. Traxxas actually uses Castle Link Live to Lock the XO1 and limit it's speed but not to adjust esc settings or to display esc temp and motor rpm. The TQi actually wouldn't need an rpm sensor to determine the vehicle's speed if it used the Castle Link Live for the motor rpm and since the esc knows the battery packs's voltage that would be another sensor it wouldn't need. I guess programming is more expensive and less profitable than the sensors. Btw for anyone looking to use the XO1 esc with a radio besides the TQi it can be done but you need to start with a TQi and Apple device and unlock the esc through the app. Then connect the esc to a PC using the Castle Link and disable Castle Link Live.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:03 AM
turok007

lol

one feature is (eliminates the need for traditional button menus) the traxxas button menus were a complete joke.

in all honesty there new wonder product is just doing what other company's have been doing for years. but with the need for a extra device.
also i know why they have to charge so much for there products. to pay the expert BULL XXXXXXX who wrote it. lol

Last edited by turok007; 06-04-2014 at 03:08 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:36 PM
cumquat

i see a potential reason for this. with the iphone 5's different connector they need a way to connect it and the older crap. plus they can now support android without worrying about device layout.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:39 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I still like the TQi... and its a smart move from traxxas to make it more compatible with other branded smart phones.

Its a very clever system and its the first of its kind from traxxas. After all we all know version 1 of anything is never going to be perfect or appeal to the masses

I don't know if u guys have checked out what the Tqi can do with the DTS-1.... its amazing....and yes, I do know its not for everyone

Here are some standout point that I like about the TQi

Audible low voltage alarm and gauge. In this modern age of lipos, I think its a step in the right direction having audible alarms on the controller and the volt gauge really does that the guess work out of battery charge status.

Audible temp alarm and gauge. U can now run multi temp sensors with the expansion module... I often think if every controller had this there would be a massive reduction is noobs making gearing, voltage and KV related mistakes

It saves the Data on the receiver, that means u can use any controller with out having to reset all the endpoints. and when changing from model to model u don't have to select a profile like most of the other controllers.... with the TQi u can have up to 30 receivers binded.... and u can have up to 30 controllers binded

firmware updates via WIFI, this means there is potential for traxxas to keep on expanding the programme to include more features.... in fact they have been slowly doing that from day one.

I bet future versions of the Tqi will offer more features like Castle link live.... then gone will be the old days of having to stop and pit just to tweek some settings on the ESC
Old 06-05-2014, 08:38 AM
Maj_Overdrive

I agree with you phmaximus on all the points. I too can look past the fact you need an Apple device and see it's features for what they are, doesn't hurt I have an old IPhone to use just for such an occasion and that I always liked how the TQ's fit my hand. I just can't live with it's limited feature set when it comes to adjustability and programability. I understand Traxxas doesn't have models that need features like channel mixing and the models are not advanced enough for subtrim but come on how much would it have cost to program that stuff into the radio? Hopefully they'll come out with an update that will give us those features.

As for Castle Link Live, that's been around for quite awhile before the XO1 came out. In fact the Traxxas Funny Car uses it for it's Launch and Burnout features. It's also something any manufacturer can take advantage of as Castle will give the code to manufacturers kinda like Apple does for App developers. Hopefully Traxxas or another manufacturer will take advantage of it sooner than later with all the features availible on the radio screen. I can understand Traxxas not investing in that aspect of Castle Link Live, I can only imagine the trouble some new users could get into with those settings availible to them. Maybe make users take a quiz to unlock those features to make sure they know what they're doing! Lol.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:44 PM
blvdbuzzard

I can see the advantage of this. One app and it covers so many more devices. I did not buy a TQi because I did not have an Apple device. If I could have used my Droid, I think I would have bought it over the iT4 I have.

I have (2) Traxxas vehicles. They have been good for me, so I am not a hater, nor am I blindly following them either. Sooner or later everything will have WIFI or other wireless connections to your phone or other device.

Look at this low budget radio. I have the old version and was blown away, now, just amazing.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...t_module_.html

My iT4 has the full telemetry, I have (2) temp sensors, (1) voltage sensor on board my trucks. It has an alarm when the temps reach the level you have set, the voltage drops to a level you have set. For the cost you get a ton of radio.

I look at the radio in a different light then most of you. I was around when we used rubber band powered escapements that ran off of (2) dry cells. You pushed once for right, once again for neutral, pressed twice for left. Now they have full color touch screens with audible alarms, they talk to you, can send a spaceship to the moon and back.

Buzz.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:23 AM
Maj_Overdrive

Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard
I look at the radio in a different light then most of you. I was around when we used rubber band powered escapements that ran off of (2) dry cells. You pushed once for right, once again for neutral, pressed twice for left. Now they have full color touch screens with audible alarms, they talk to you, can send a spaceship to the moon and back.

Buzz.
Lol @ to the moon and back! But pretty true! I've been really tempted by the IT4, almost pulled the trigger a couple of times now. Been trying to wait for them to get some long term use under their belt and work out any potential kinks though. I'm also not that fond of the little boxes on the end of the sensors and been trying to figure out where I can stuff them into another Rx box on my vehicles.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:36 AM
blvdbuzzard

I have 5 months on my iT4. I had only one problem with it. It would only bind to a single Rx. Even though it held 20 models, you had to bind to each Rx each time you changed. Simple enough, took about 3 seconds but you should not have to do that. Contacted FrySky and they actually developed a new chip. They sent it to me free, I swapped it out, now it holds the bindings and it will bind with the olde Rx's after a firmware update. The new iT4's have this chip and firmware updates out of the box.

I am very happy with the iT4. It has been a great radio. I can get two days at the track on a single charge. Plus I have one of those USB chargers that you plug into the wall and the cable in my track box so I can charge at the track.

I was on the drivers stand, when my radio's alarm went off. Every one looked and was amazed that the radio made that much noise. The plug for the on board voltage sensor came unplugged.

Buzz.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:23 AM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

Cool. I can hook it into google glass now.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:57 AM
Large Larry

Originally Posted by jkdv8
Cool. I can hook it into google glass now.
I don't know much about google glass but I'm intrigued. Does that mean you'll be able to get all your info like a HUD?
Old 06-06-2014, 11:22 AM
jkdv8

In theory yes. Both devices would need to support the same protocol that allows you to do so. I'm sure one or the other or both would need a firmware update.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:34 AM
blvdbuzzard

Now that would be cool. Drive with a HUD, wonder how long until it is on the aircraft radios for the FPV crowd.

Buzz.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:00 PM
jkdv8

Now that would be very useful. Especially if you could feed a cockpit camera to it from the radio.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:00 AM
phmaximus

I'm waiting for the day the invent force feed back controllers with rumble packs... Lol
Old 06-08-2014, 02:20 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner

Traxxas is junk... I worked at a shop and we had 5 TQI transmitters fail in a week that came with new cars, we also had 2 X01 ESC's blow for no reason. The incuded Lipo chargers are fire starters and have seen one after another fail.

Their remotes are POINTLESS without the iPod, blink programming is so lazy, plus there is no easy way to trim Ch-2 on most remotes.

They sell cars with designs that where bad 15 years ago and charge top dollar, they are made to wear out and break- they are made to be upgraded as stock parts are brittle and poorly made- and they are made cheaply- why would they still use plastic driveshafts other than making you pay $70 a PAIR for ones that aren't as crappy? (but still snap easy) this is 2014 not 1995.

They advertise very well, that is why they exist, brainwashing people into thinking they are great because they are expensive and popular, THE worst bang for your buck.

anyone who disagrees with me is wasting their time, I have seen it all and I speak the truth.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 PM
phmaximus

That does not really prove anything....

Traxxas own the market so it's just common sense that they will have a percentage that fails just like any other manufacture.
If that hobby shop is selling hundreds of Traxxas vehicles any only 5 came back that's actually very good.
Just think for each one that came back there is still thousands that didn't.

And i I bet the issues with the controllers were because hey were the first batch?? U know that's been fixed right?

I do agree about the menu tree on the traxxas controllers, they are difficult to use with out a iPod. But honestly what do u expect from a budget RTR controller and what are u comparing it to??
When u compare it to other manufactures budget bottom of the barrel controllers (axial, Team assioated, HPI, losi, tamiya) it would be considered one of the better ones.... Especially when u start looking into features vs price.

sorry bud I couldn't disagree more about bashing on there chassis...

u say the chassis are 15 years old... That's BS with a capital B. The only thing that comes close to that is the rustler and stampede but that's only 2 cars out of there massive line up and even then they might look the same to a average joe. But trust me they are not...
For that I'd suggest looking at the evolution of rc cars from other manufactures say things like the RC10,RC8, kyosho infernal, losi xxx.... Etc etc. and u will notice those cars have evolved just like the rustler.... All they do is little tweaks every now and then. Seriously no manufacture makes completely new vehicles each year, generally the just modify existing products.

Were u in the hobby 15 years ago??? How can u say they were based of bad designs??
u do know the rustler was based of and still shares parts with the Traxxas STR?? (Are u saying that the STR is a bad design)
as the STR was a dedicated racing chassis bases of the Award winning TRX-1 chassis.
Where the rustler was more of a entry level car aimed at non-racing crowds for a cheaper price and increased durability.... Kind of like a entry level car. There is no doubt I'm my mind the rustler is THE most durable stadium truck out today.

u say that they are very brittle... I'm going to call u on this one... What are u referring to??!
I don't know I'd a single modern part on any traxxas vehicles that's considered brittle, if u want to see brittle check out a vintage tamiya..
Just because RPM make upgrades it does not mean there parts are any more brittle than any other manufacture...

We all know a hyper 7 is arguably the strongest rc car in existence right......
example if everyone was to believe what u are saying.... If a slash was to have a head on it would loose miserably right?? I mean after all there plastic is said to be brittle by your self and a few other people that have never really had extensive experience with traxxas products... Guess what one had less damage and was considerably cheaper to repair?? And that's including aftermarket upgrades parts

i mean look at the traxxas magnum gearbox... It's got to be the strongest 2wd gearbox out...

I dont know, I'm over the whole driveshaft debating its just stupid... Old news.
u do know traxxas has revised there plastic driveshafts are they are now bigger and stronger than before?
im still yet to hear anyone braking them on a realistic brushless setup.

Plastic telescopic constant velocity shafts are a massive improvement over the vintage dog bone design.
they are telescopic so they can shorten and lengthen as the suspension moved.
they are lighter, reduced rotating mass.
dual constant velocity joints for decreased back lash, and reduced deflection on full lock. And can safely achieve greater angles.
Granted they are not as durable, but have u seen how cheap they are to replace??
id rather have the performance advantage over the durability advantage epically knowing they will easily last over 3 years and are only $14 a pair for complete assemblies...

I've spent mote than that on tamiya hardened diff cups... God and don't look at the price of genuine tamiya CV shafts.... Or any other manufacture come to think of it

lets just say the modern plastic axles traxxas and axial use are a great inprovment over the old designs (reduced durability with massive performance increases)

Last edited by phmaximus; 06-08-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:43 PM
phmaximus

How are on earth are u having issues setting up the trim on the 2ch??? U do know the first knob is ch 1 and the other knob is the multifunction knob that can be very easily set to throttle trim
Old 06-08-2014, 07:52 PM
phmaximus

Changed my mind.. I don't wanna start arguing with u shark.... Please Ignore what I said... Normally I'd delete it. But it took to long to write out lol
Old 06-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Large Larry

Originally Posted by The_Shark
Traxxas is junk... I worked at a shop and we had 5 TQI transmitters fail in a week that came with new cars, we also had 2 X01 ESC's blow for no reason. The incuded Lipo chargers are fire starters and have seen one after another fail.

Their remotes are POINTLESS without the iPod, blink programming is so lazy, plus there is no easy way to trim Ch-2 on most remotes.

They sell cars with designs that where bad 15 years ago and charge top dollar, they are made to wear out and break- they are made to be upgraded as stock parts are brittle and poorly made- and they are made cheaply- why would they still use plastic driveshafts other than making you pay $70 a PAIR for ones that aren't as crappy? (but still snap easy) this is 2014 not 1995.

They advertise very well, that is why they exist, brainwashing people into thinking they are great because they are expensive and popular, THE worst bang for your buck.

anyone who disagrees with me is wasting their time, I have seen it all and I speak the truth.
Boy that last line made me laugh. The rest of it made me laugh as well, but that last line really got me.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:35 PM
xgnzgnhu

I'm all for new features but who really cares whether their radio has bluetooth or not
Old 06-09-2014, 07:05 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plastic driveshafts are cheap and need frequent service- that is it, no performance advantage, the light weight is negated by the high friction. I find it crazy they still put those on everything.

and for those traxxases that failed, it was 5 for 5, a couple X-01's, a slash 4x4 ultimate, a revo VXL and something else, they all came back, and this was just a couple weeks ago, they all had the TQI with the Ipod dock, one of those we replaced the remote in house, then the ESC failed the next day with the stock gearing and still "locked" on that one X0-1.

All cars have DOA's but I have seen a high percentage of traxxas electronics fail out of the box.

And yes, I have been in the hobby for almost 20 years, traxxas makes tough cars, but there are some parts that are intentinally made brittle to break, and comparing traxxas durability to the new cars today, they are no tougher, and actually sometimes weaker in stock form, the Losi SCTE is bulletproof and tougher than a slash 4x4, the savage and MGT is much tougher than the T-Maxx and revo. ect.

The reason why everyone thinks traxxas is tougher than everything else is 1- traxxas and followers (who never had another good car) tell you so, 2- the car is hopped up with RPM or 3- they remember old XX-t's and old Tamiya's and see how much tougher traxxas is compared to those cars.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:25 AM
Large Larry

Originally Posted by The_Shark
The plastic driveshafts are cheap and need frequent service- that is it, no performance advantage, the light weight is negated by the high friction. I find it crazy they still put those on everything.

and for those traxxases that failed, it was 5 for 5, a couple X-01's, a slash 4x4 ultimate, a revo VXL and something else, they all came back, and this was just a couple weeks ago, they all had the TQI with the Ipod dock, one of those we replaced the remote in house, then the ESC failed the next day with the stock gearing and still "locked" on that one X0-1.

All cars have DOA's but I have seen a high percentage of traxxas electronics fail out of the box.

And yes, I have been in the hobby for almost 20 years, traxxas makes tough cars, but there are some parts that are intentinally made brittle to break, and comparing traxxas durability to the new cars today, they are no tougher, and actually sometimes weaker in stock form, the Losi SCTE is bulletproof and tougher than a slash 4x4, the savage and MGT is much tougher than the T-Maxx and revo. ect.

The reason why everyone thinks traxxas is tougher than everything else is 1- traxxas and followers (who never had another good car) tell you so, 2- the car is hopped up with RPM or 3- they remember old XX-t's and old Tamiya's and see how much tougher traxxas is compared to those cars.
We heard you the first time...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.