Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Odd vehicle sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 12:49 AM
Tylernol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd vehicle sound

Hey there, everyone. Had my Slash 2WD VXL for about 3 weeks now. Love the thing. I bash it pretty hard. Thing is, now it has a clicking sound. I took apart my transmission. Didn't tear into the Differential, though. All my gears, pinion, and spur have their teeth. Nothing in between them. Gear mesh and slipper clutch are set correctly. However, if I lift the car off the ground, I can't hear the clicking. It doesn't click when I rotate the wheels manually, either. Only when it's on the ground. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:37 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, it is the diferential. You need to take it apart and see what you need.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:53 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

definately the diff. It'll only make the clicking sound when the diff is trying to work, that is, when you're driving it.

I'm not familiar with the Traxxas diff, but if it is anything like the one in my Evader, the planetary gears are small, and if they're not properly lubricated (TrakPower Waterproof Gear Grease) they will wear out. The gears should have a nice pyramid shape. If they look like a turbo compressor (see pic) they're shot and need replacing.

Also, there is probably a pin behind the large diff gear on each side that holds the drive cup in place and that is driven by the large gear. If that pin is made from crappy material, IT will break, and cause the same sound, so check that out too. If that is your problem, replace the pins with an appropriate thickness of music wire, available at your local hobby store. That stuff will NEVER break. And, it's cheap.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	worn_gear.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	535.5 KB
ID:	2009505  
Old 06-28-2014, 04:44 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I shredded a VXL rustler's diffs by doing Forward flips after hitting a speed bump While popping a wheely. Must have done it 10-12 times that day before the diff gears said they had had enough!

if you hold one wheel and rotate the other by hand, you may hear the clicking then.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:09 AM
Tylernol

Just an update. I tore apart my tranny, and Diff. Cleaned everything. None of the gears are missing teeth or anything. It all checks out. Well, now I'm not sure what kind of grease or oil to put back in the Diff housing. I'm getting confused on the Diff oil. As far as I know, the Slash Diff isn't sealed. So, won't the oil just leak out? If grease, then what kind? Getting a little confused here. I'm not mechanically inclined in any way.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:56 AM
collector1231

Just put black grease in it, or diff lube. Both were included with your Slash.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:29 AM
EXT2Rob

Diff lube will leak out if the diffs don't have seals. Black grease is just ok, it breaks down. I prefer TrakPower Waterproof Gear Grease. It has anti-sling properties that keep it on the gears, and it doesn't break down as quickly as regular stuff.
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../tkpc8008.html

Your gears may still have all their teeth, but are they worn? Are they starting to look like the picture? If not, and they really are ok, maybe the screws holding the diff case together started coming loose?
Old 06-29-2014, 10:17 AM
Tylernol

No, all the teeth are fine. The gears still look new. I can't find what would have been causing it. By the way, I didn't get any oil or grease with my Slash. I still have all the original packaging. No oil or grease. The pin holding the drive gear in place is a little bent. Going to replace that while I'm at it. Thanks for the help, so far guys. Really appreciate it.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:48 PM
EXT2Rob

That's likely it. Good catch. Glad the teeth all still look fine. You caught it in time.

Get some of that grease and find some music wire that will fit the holes those pins go in. You'll be set. Do you have a hobby shop or hardware store nearby?
Old 06-29-2014, 04:46 PM
Tylernol

Have plenty of Hardware stores around herw
I actually couldn't find any of the right speaker wire. It's all threaded instead of one solid piece. As for hobby stores, we have one about an hour away. I haven't been there, yet. Been planning on making a trip.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:22 AM
EXT2Rob

Not speaker wire, mate. Music Wire. (Don't know why they call it that.) Made by K&S Precision Metals. http://www.ksmetals.com/17.html
Phone the hobby store, ask if they carry it. If not, maybe you have (or can borrow) some calipers? Measure the pin diameter you need and match it to the chart in that link. You should be able to have either the harware or the hobby store order it for you.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:42 AM
cumquat

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Not speaker wire, mate. Music Wire. (Don't know why they call it that.) Made by K&S Precision Metals. http://www.ksmetals.com/17.html
Phone the hobby store, ask if they carry it. If not, maybe you have (or can borrow) some calipers? Measure the pin diameter you need and match it to the chart in that link. You should be able to have either the harware or the hobby store order it for you.
because it's piano wire.