Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

I've wanted to get into this hobby for a while, but I don't know where to start

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

I've wanted to get into this hobby for a while, but I don't know where to start

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 05:15 AM
Service_Games

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've wanted to get into this hobby for a while, but I don't know where to start

Hey all,

I've honest wanted to get into this hobby for several years now, but seeing that I don't have any nice flat, concrete areas within easy walking distance for playing around, I haven't even tried. The closest RC track is probably 30 miles away from me (soon to be much further as I'm moving). I actually want to get into Electric RC Drifting, but I just can't see asphalt being a very good surface for drifting an electric RC car. Before I even get that far, though, I would like to invest in something very inexpensive to see if this hobby truly is for me. I'd rather not spend $400 on an HPI car right away if it's going to collect dust in the end.

That said, are cars found at places like Walmart worthwhile as starter cars? Would you recommend something a little better? Would you recommend off road first as an off road car could handle asphalt and grass a lot easier?

Thanks in advance!

SG
Old 06-07-2018, 02:22 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Have a look at the offerings from Exceed.
Brushless....HERE.
Brushed...HERE.

Those are your very basic on-road platforms. 3Racing is brand to look at if you want to step it up a notch or two, or three. Hobbyking's Mission-D 4WD GTR Drift Car might be something that catches your eye. It's a copy of Yokomo's DRB chassis. Comes in ARR, and roller kit.

I'm not a "drifter" at the moment. I wouldn't mind dabbling with one. I'm just passing along some of the chassis that I thought about pursuing. For me, I'd probably get a platform that I could just switch out the tires and do some parking lot leisurely racing if I felt like it.

There are some dedicated drift forums out there that have lots of great info. So many chassis to choose from.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:28 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Exclamation Warning! Addiction Ahead Of You!

Originally Posted by Service_Games
...That said, are cars found at places like Walmart worthwhile as starter cars? Would you recommend something a little better? Would you recommend off road first as an off road car could handle asphalt and grass a lot easier?

Thanks in advance!

SG
I personally would only recommend a hobby grade RC. That means you are able to replace/repair/upgrade parts as they wear out, or break. There are great hobby grade RCs out there that have a lower price point.

I also would not get anything smaller than 1/10 scale to start out with. Especially, if you have any plans in doing some off-roading. If you have not the right surface to do some on-road RCing, then, by all means, look at a 1/10 scale buggy, short course truck (SC, SCT), monster truck (MT), or stadium truck (ST). For a general purpose RC, my favorite platform is a stadium truck. Jump it, bash it, go to track with it, race it, or do speed runs with it. The last two items I don't do. I'm so blessed to have a backyard track to get my RC fixes in before the sun goes down.

The RTR market is flooded with great RC models that I would like to have, but only come offered in RTR form. I get excited for a platform that looks to be very promising, and then I think about going through the whole process of tearing out what gear I will not need/want in the RTR package. Most times it will be the servo, and radio gear that I don't not wish to have, or use.

A lot of times "RTR" does not really mean Ready-To-Run. Some say "RTR" stands for Ready-To-Rebuild, Ready-To-Replace, or Ready-To-Rebuy. Most of the time, mediocre RTR components are put in the package to keep the price point to a minimum...lure you in to the addiction. That's not a bad thing at all. It gets a person to test the waters, so to speak. If you just want one RC, and if you don't anticipate buying other vehicles, then maybe the RTR route is a good deal..."getting your feet wet". If you already have a good radio, and/or other electronics to install, then buying a kit should be a better choice, but in this day and age, kits are not the norm.

I know the lure of low budget price tags. You have to take into consideration what comes in a RTR package deal. Some are great, and some are just poo. Companies pick, and choose what they think will fill the average hobbyist's needs while trying to keep the price point attractive. Battery, charger, and radio in RTR bundles are there to get you up and running quickly. Keep in mind the electronics are generally mediocre. Sometimes you won't even get a battery, or charger with a RTR. Just watch out for this.

If a person is thinking about racing, then I would steer a person to a kit. I think a kit is a better value if wanting to specifically get into racing. A lot will depend on track rules and/or if they have a "run what you brung" type of class.

If a person mainly wants to "bash" and race once in a while, then RTRs have some value to them. Put away the stock RTR tires; figure in $35~$40 for the right wheels/tires to hook up to track conditions. After awhile, you get better at driving and your skill increases. Driving on a high traction track, a stock servo may feel lethargic, or slow. This can be a good thing, as a slower servo won't make your RC as jittery.

Many different ways to look at value when doing RTR vs kits. Some will shy away from RTRs completely. Some feel kits are the best way to learn how a radio control car operates with having built it yourself.

Pick a model that has parts support. Bottom line, if you can't get parts for your RC, cross it off your list.

Read, research, and review. Watch all the video reviews on the platform that you are thinking about getting. Nowadays, it's pretty easy to get vasts amounts of info on a model. Also, there are usually some threads in the www forums which talk about specific RCs. That's all I can say when searching for your first or next RC.

Last edited by RustyUs; 06-07-2018 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Fixed some of my thoughts.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:39 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't rule out Nitro. Nitro is super fun and if you have any mechanical aptitude its a great way to fill time. They do require a bit more maintenance and knowledge about tuning and such but its a completely different experience to have a real engine running than a just a beeping speed controller and gear hum. You can get an inexpensive Nitro for $179 on Ebay, A RedCat Lightning STR or HSP 1/10 scale onroad is good. Message me with any questions. I'm here to help.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:25 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, wouldn't using hard plastic drift tires still work on asphalt? Certainly they'd work on a concrete driveway. Department store RCs are complete Crap. Full stop. Don't waste your money.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:47 AM
Crash P51
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get lots of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!