Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Diffrence between 3000mah and 5000mah batteries?

Looking for a new battery for my on road electric and there are 3000mah and 5000mah was just wondering what the diffrence between the 2 is and what the hell is a mah?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Mah is battery volume. 1 mah is 1/1000th of an amp hour. An amp hour is the volume needed to supply 1 amp for 1 hour. So a 3000 mah battery will supply 1 amp for 3 hours. 5000 mah is 1 amp for 5 hrs. The 5000 battery will run longer between charges if it will physically fit in the car.

Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Battery mAh rating is the duration (MilliAmp Hours) and directly refers to how many milliamps the battery can deliver over an hour. The higher this figure, the longer the battery will last. This is largely linear, therefore a 3000mAh battery will last 3/5ths as long as a 5000mAh. Remember also that the duration affects the current rating. If both batteries are 20C, then the 5000mAh delivers 100A (5A*20C), and the 3000mAh delivers 60A (3A*20C). Use this formula to work out the current handling characteristics of any battery (mAh*C= maximum Amps delivered).
    Last edited by Foxy; 07-23-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    Down with the crew known to pump up the bass...
    We rock the joint at a cool, steady pace.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    go for the 5000mah pack. It is worth the few extra bucks, and 5000mah packs will power most any 1/10 scale model and give good runtimes.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,