Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New to rc nitro,help needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 05:25 PM
hokuspokus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to rc nitro,help needed!!!

Hi Guys

I am trying to get 1 of 3 cars that i got for my 3 boys,there all Himoto and having problems getting the first ones engine broke in,when i was trying to start it earlier it started then stalled 3-4 times now it seems as if the pull cord is stuck etc,i dont really want to take the 3 of them to a shop to get them to break the engine in,as it should be a simple enough procedure...so what have i to do to get the pull start released if its stuck & how do i get to stay running and not stall?

Cheers graham
Old 07-19-2014, 05:57 PM
Smiff 24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello hokus, Is the cord pulled out and stuck or will it not turn the engine over at all ?
try pulling the glow plug and pour any fuel out that might be in there.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:03 PM
hokuspokus

Hi Smiff,The cord is in but just wont pull,so it wont start engine at all,ive had the glow plug out and turned it upside down to get fuel out incase it was flooded,i also had to tap the flywheel with a hammer and screwdriver,just not sure what to do next.

Cheers
Old 07-19-2014, 07:39 PM
nitroexpress

New engines can be very tight during break in. Loosen the glow plug before starting to release some compression. Once the engine is running, tighten it down.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:14 AM
hokuspokus

Do i need to use a hairdryer or heatgun on the engine to loosen it up,just when it started to run ever before i got the ignitor of the glow plug it cut out,so am going to go in a bit and try to see if i can get it running as i got the pull start released early this morning....cheers nitroexpress

graham
Old 07-20-2014, 07:03 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

You should use a hair dryer or heat gun to help heat the head/motor and make it easier to start, and much less likely to stall.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:10 AM
hokuspokus

Cheers collector,would a heat gun do any damage and what setting would be recommended on it?
Old 07-21-2014, 12:27 PM
hokuspokus

got the first car started but it wont slow down id say its going top speed while trying to break the engine in,i set the idle needle or whatever you call it,and the piston is nice and free

its a himoto sun fire,are any of yous familiar with that and its controls,i tried turning buttons on it and pressing the throttle trim but nothing happens...anyone got any idea's what i can do?

thanks graham
Old 07-21-2014, 02:08 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like the needles are set way too lean, or it has a bad airleak
Old 07-21-2014, 02:18 PM
hokuspokus

I know this sound silly to ask but an airleak from were? if its to lean what screws top or bottom or both what way do i turn them,am totally new to all this so thats why the silly questions
Old 07-21-2014, 03:01 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

hmm might want to view this series by Squirrelod on youtube its very informative, and helpful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOZiU265FKE

Here is a quick help video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkzpdZGGXPM
Those videos say, and show way more then anyone would be able to type here
Old 07-21-2014, 03:20 PM
hokuspokus

Thanks Syco venom,i will take a look at these and hope they get the kids cars running

Cheers Graham
Old 07-23-2014, 09:26 AM
hokuspokus

Rite am ready to give up on these cars,the car wont start now,its not flooded and the glow plug is glowing red,there is no blockage in the lines,i really dont no what the problem is with it,can someone guide me in the right line on what all to do.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Foxy

Its always very hard to diagnose nitro engine problems over the internet. There are a hundred different factors that may be causing your difficulties. The best thing to do by far is to enlist some local help. Starting on your own in nitro is often frustrating (it was for me, I had nobody to turn to and like most, I melted my first engine). When all else fails, return the needles to factory settings and try again. Also, just because the glow plug glows, doesn't mean it is good. You should have a stock of glow plugs anyway, because they can go at any time. If you don't have another one you can try, you should definitely get one, at least in order to rule that out and in order to have a spare in the future. Make sure the glow igniter is charged or is a fresh battery, and ideally is a good quality rechargeable battery (GP for example) rather than a standard energiser or something like that, as these non-rechargeable standard batteries are pretty weak, a good rechargeable will give you a much better glow.

As a newbie, you should not be looking for air leaks on your own, identifying those accurately requires experience, as well as solving them. If you have one you will definitely need help to identify and fix it.

I realise this post wasn't much help, but as I say, nitro diagnosis over the net is near impossible. I really strongly suggest you try to find some local help. Good luck.

Last edited by Foxy; 07-23-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:10 PM
hokuspokus

Thanks Foxy,i think i am just going to take it to the local model shop and see what they say and can do for it,or just ask them to break the engine in and tune it for me,might be dear though...cheers
Old 07-23-2014, 05:54 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by hokuspokus
Thanks Foxy,i think i am just going to take it to the local model shop and see what they say and can do for it,or just ask them to break the engine in and tune it for me,might be dear though...cheers
just hope they know what they are doing...
1st RC shop I went to when I got into the hobby(with nitro) gave me such bogus advice if I followed it I would have destroyed an engine. So glad I did some research on my own as if I didn't I might have believed them.
2nd one I went to the clerk that was there was a complete nitro head as he hated everything electric with a passion. He gave good advice. Now that he is no longer there the people that replaced him I heard them tell people stuff that was wrong as they never ran a nitro.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:47 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

If you take off the glowplug, flip the car/engine over, and pull the starter, is it hard to pull? The car might just be airlocked.