Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Charging question in regards to mah. and a digital charger

Hello All,
    Im glad I found this site. I was HEAVY into racing about 20 years ago. I just recently decided to get back into it.
    So much has changed since my first RC10 and first RC10gt!!

I just purchased a new Starter Box for nitro that requires two 7.2 battery packs. I also purchased a digital charger which
    I have never used before. all of my chargers back in the day where simple chargers. My question is, I would like to charger
    both batteries at the same time. I have the connections for this, but what I need to know is.

Say I have two 7.2v packs. That gives me a voltage rating of 14.4 correct? * SO I set my charger for 14.4.

What I not sure about is if each pack is 2000mah,, would I set the digital charger mah setting for 2000mah
    or 4000mah?

Im thinking that the charger would see the two packs as 12 cells each at 1.2v all as one unit.

With a overall mah setting of 2000mah????

Please enlighten. Feel free to throw in some discharge settings as well is you feel like it.

Thanks and nice site!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Charging one at a time is safer and easier. It may be longer, but thats better than having a fire from your batteries.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    they're nickel packs, right? set your charger to the nickel setting and input the info it asks for. my 2 chargers are peak chargers, which means you set the output amperage and it does the rest. i'm willing to bet yours is the same. weather it'll see a 12 cell at 2000mah or a 6 cell at 4000mah is completely dependent on the harness.
    HELP! IM STUCK ON AN ESCALATOR!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    As said above it all depends on how the two batteries are wired. If they are in parallel (red to red and black to black) then it will be the equivalent of a 7.2v and 4000mah. If they are wired in series (red to black and red to black) then it will be the equivalent of 14.4v and 2000 man.
    I am the driver of my car,
    of course the servos help

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If ur batteries are 7.2v and 2000mah".......

series would be 14.4v and 2000mah

parallel would be 7.2v and 4000mah

Pit doesn't matter how u do it, if u charge at 1c they both will have the same charge time.

The thing to see... If it's even possible... Every charger has it's limits... Watts. How many watts is the charger??

also the more cells u charge at a time the higher the chances of a cell been over charged because one other cell is a little low.

where if u charge them separately the packs as a whole will be closer to been balanced with each other as a whole
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger