Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Magnets on Motor Wires

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 06:19 AM
denon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnets on Motor Wires

So my son has an ECX Circuit Truck. After running at the local track this weekend we noticed that one of the magnets broke off from the wire that runs from the motor to the esc. They make a loop around these magnets before going to the esc. (They seem to be loose and move around....I have now zip tied those wires together). My question is...is it ok to run the car without them? What are they for? It is a dynamite 20T motor. I seen other motors and they do not have them. I just don't want to break the motor or esc. I also tried looking online and you cannot buy replacements.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:04 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

umm can you show a picture of what the issue is as from the description I honestly am not sure what you are referring to.

Only thing I could remotely imagine is it's a ferrite bead which is just to suppress electronic noise from being passed to the RX. And if that is the case it shouldn't matter, but I'm not sure based on the description as I have very rarely seen them used on RC's, and they sorta look like a magnet.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 07-26-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:24 AM
denon

Thank you. I searched the web and could not find a name for the things...magnets and electric motors bring up like 9 million items...lol. Here is a picture I took after I zip tied the wires together to hopefully keep them out of the way during jumps. Another picture on the web as they come and gives a better idea. So it is ok to run without them?

On another note I think one of the reasons they broke in the first place is I could hear the car bottoming out on every jump. I have some Team Associated 35Wt oil...would it help to replace the oil and would that help on the jumps?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dynamite Motor.jpg
Views:	1002
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	2017479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2002.JPG
Views:	1322
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	2017480  
Old 07-26-2014, 11:19 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The oil might help depending what was stock

I was right those are ferrite beads kinda a weird place to put them in all honesty, but it will run without the one you broke no issue as honestly I've never even seen them located in that position prior to that pic. I've seen them very rarely on the wire that goes from the ESC to the RX, but never there.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:29 AM
denon

Thank you for taking a look. It seems to be running just fine but never hurts to ask.

I took out the shocks for the first time and replaced the oil. Before you could compress the shock with just a little bit of force...now with the new 35 weight it seems to take a bit more force...hopefully that helps with it bottoming out so much.

Thank you again.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:58 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the ecx brand alloy shock upgrade for my torment, they worked nicely. But if thicker shock oil helped then stick with that.
The ring on the motor wires was to suppress electric noise interference with the receiver. If it runs fine, don't worry about it.....tho it would not hurt to do a range check (have someone hold the truck or just lay it upside down and keep moving farther away to make sure range is decent)
The early ECX models came with FM radios...many of which had range issues. The newer ones have 2.4ghz radios that are much better. The ring on wires may have been more nessesary for the FM versions.
But if it works and you have good range, then there is nothing to worry about.
I beat the snot out of my torment, it was a great rc for the money!