Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

tamiya makes an update....but is it the right one?

I like many Tamiya kits....tho some of them are pricey considering the gear they come with.

The cc-01 kits come with that lame "black box" esc that seems to be 100 years old. cant run below 27t motors, cant run on a lipo without an external LVC or alarm and not waterproof.

I picked up a RC mag today and see that the newest CC-01, a FJ cruiser now comes with a Brushless ESC!
    BUT, it includes a brushed motor. Odd, right?

On top of that, the ESC can run brushless, but only sensored brushless (10.5 turn, 60amp limit)

The ESC is "splash" proof, not waterproof.

It cant handle more than 2s. And even with this esc, you cant run less than a 25turn brushed motor!

It does have some decent tunable features tho.

With this ESC, the price is $300.

IMO, Tamiya should have updated these kits with a traxxas xl5 type ESC....15t limit, waterproof, with low voltage detection. This would make the trail scale model more offroad capable right out of the box. Plus, the price shouldn't have had to increase as much. Upping the price due to a brushless ESC that only has a couple of features that will help you out of the box seems silly.

I honestly think if I bought a CC-01 in the future, I would just sell the ESC and get a decent brushed esc. Even a ezrun 35amp brushless esc has better specs. The only advantage of the Tamiya brushless esc is that running a sensored motor in a trail/crawler truck does make sense. But I think they did this more so you would upgrade to their brushless motor instead of the many cheap sensorless options out there.

Also, sadly, you still get plastic bushings.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    XL5 with a 15 turn limit? Runs my Titan 12T just fine, lol. I didn't mind the ESCs, but I hate those plastic bushings. So annoying....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by collector1231 View Post
    XL5 with a 15 turn limit? Runs my Titan 12T just fine, lol. I didn't mind the ESCs, but I hate those plastic bushings. So annoying....
    a 15t 540 size is the same as the 12t 550 size titan...don't ask me why, it just is

I just don't get putting that esc with a brushed motor. just seems strange. plus, there are not a lot of brushless esc's limited to sensored only and 2s lipo only.

But it is true, the plastic bushings need to go. They are perhaps worse than the old brushed esc! Any other model in the $200 range would have bearings.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I don't know what's with Tamiya, as good as the cc01 is, it shows its age compared to the modern stuff.

why can't they develop anything new? Something like a cc02 with improved steering mechanics and a modern plastic blended chassis.
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by phmaximus View Post
    I don't know what's with Tamiya, as good as the cc01 is, it shows its age compared to the modern stuff.

why can't they develop anything new? Something like a cc02 with improved steering mechanics and a modern plastic blended chassis.
    YES, YES, YES Please! Why don't I own a cc-01 now? because the steering sucks. Im not into just putting a cc01 around....I want one that works as a trail truck. If Tamiya made a version with direct steering (or at least the current system but without the gobs of flex) and more front suspension travel and wider wheel wells and a skid plate in place of the "brick" in front......they would have a wonderful scaler chassis to rival scx10s

I have owned 3 cc01s. one I flipped, the other I built from a kit and ran a bit in stock form before getting board. the 3rd I tried to make a good trail truck...locked rear diff, 100t brushed motor, crawler esc, modified front suspension, high torque steering servo ect. I had installed a alloy steering system but it turned out to be poorly machined and had as much slop as the stock plastic setup. I can deal with the lack of ground clearance...and even the brick up front that limits approach angle....but that steering was too much to deal with. so I sold it.

At the very least, it would be cool if Tamiya made their own hop-ups. You would assume that they could make a alloy steering upgrade that would remove the majority of the steering slope. And hop up front suspension arms/driveshafts/steering hubs set for more articulation and travel would be sweet.

I think it is fair to say that at least 50% of cc01 owners try to make them more offroad capable. so Tamiya not offering hop ups to that effect are just shooting themselves in the foot.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I also just found this, a RWD configured M0-6 platform with the midnight pumpkin body.
    The front bumper should have been smaller/sleeker....but the slammed street look is pretty cool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	header_58594.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	2018016

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Its like the DF-02 they replaced the ESC, and jacked up its price.

IMO Tamiya should stop including an ESC already to knock $10-20 off the price.

BTW those BL ESC's that are in the CC-01 if they are the one I'm thinking of they have their cutoffs set to LiFe settings, and are unchangeable so they aren't even LiPo ready as the cutof is at 5V.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM View Post
    Its like the DF-02 they replaced the ESC, and jacked up its price.

IMO Tamiya should stop including an ESC already to knock $10-20 off the price.

BTW those BL ESC's that are in the CC-01 if they are the one I'm thinking of they have their cutoffs set to LiFe settings, and are unchangeable so they aren't even LiPo ready as the cutof is at 5V.
    well a standard cc01 kit is around $200...without an esc it should drop at least $20. But $300 for the kit with brushless ESC that has some weird features seems silly. Maybe it is a bit more expensive because it is a new body as well....but Tamiya's pricing on some chassis can vary wildly depending on what body comes with it.

As a side note, I just made a cool Tamiya ebay score.
    I got a complete chassis, 6 brushed motors, ball bearing kit, hobbyking 45amp brushless ESC, servo and a crappy 2-3s lipo charger plus a motor heat sink/fan.....all for $40 shipped!!!

Name:	tam1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	306.5 KB 
ID:	2018196Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tam2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	293.9 KB 
ID:	2018197Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tam3.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	337.2 KB 
ID:	2018198

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    damn hate how you alwas get the stellar deals like that.

also yea I noticed that with bodies as well my favorite ones were the $15 price discrepancies with DF-02's that only had different sticker sheets, or the Hornet, and Grasshopper price difference.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    This is what Tamiya should of done, but Axial bet them to the mark.

$429.99..... Only $129.99 more than the cc01 and comes with a ship load more features and just add a battery and it's RTR.

and the wheel base is 15mm shorter than a sc8.... Interesting....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    ^^^I have to agree. for the extra $130 you get a lot. more powerful motor and esc, better tires, better suspension, likely tougher and it comes with a servo and radio!
    Really, other than the cc01's having very nice scale bodies they don't have much that justifies their cost. Yet, they don't have much competition? Who else sells 1/10 trucks with super scale bodies....especially hard plastic bodies? A scx10 is a great truck, but if you want it to look like a scale jeep, unimog, pajero, ford pickup, or land cruiser and want it to have a full undercarriage then you have to fork over some money and do some custom work.
    Tamiya does make great stuff, but some of it is not what I would call "value for money"
    But somehow, that seems to work for them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM View Post
    damn hate how you alwas get the stellar deals like that.

also yea I noticed that with bodies as well my favorite ones were the $15 price discrepancies with DF-02's that only had different sticker sheets, or the Hornet, and Grasshopper price difference.
    sorry syco....I guess I shouldn't mention the RTR sand viper I got with a battery for $57 shipped

Name:	$_575.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	2018687

I am actually hoping that with next years tax returns I can take $1000 and use it just to buy used Rc's that I can either flip or part out. Would certainly be a more fun way to make money than delivering auto parts to garages.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ok, for scale purposes and price point how does the Cc01 compare to a Trail Finder 2...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Or one better...

there is a new brand in town Down under Rugged Edge RC

d90 Defender chassis

Last edited by phmaximus; 07-31-2014 at 11:47 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by phmaximus View Post
    Ok, for scale purposes and price point how does the Cc01 compare to a Trail Finder 2...
    TF2 is $400
    Most CC01s are in the $200-$250 range

TF2 includes NO electronics.
    CC01 includes a ESC and motor...tho they are not the best.

TF2 has a metal, much more scale chassis. It has a 2 speed trans. Metal axles. Metal bumpers. Metal leaf springs. Metal shocks. Metal ball bearings.
    It also has a slipper clutch, which comes in handy when rock crawling.

CC01 has a sorta scale plastic tub chassis. No metal in the chassis. Stock shocks suck. Plastic bearings. ugly front bumpers (IMO)
    Some kits (or maybe all?) come with a LED kit. This is about the only thing the CC01 has over a stock TF2.

Ive owned one leaf spring rock crawler....and it can perform better than a stock CC01.

One of the big issues when trying to make a CC01 more trail worthy is the lack of aftermarket stuff. There are only a few companies that make parts for them....so they can charge whatever they want. Upgrade alloy parts are not cheap.

The TF2 is certainly more costly, but you get a lot more performance and scale looks from it.