Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

More...custom...trucks! Build pics thread!!!

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

More...custom...trucks! Build pics thread!!!

Old 08-16-2014, 12:43 PM
cumquat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
wow the steam punked RC car lol
I remember we had one guy posting stuff like that on here awhile back.

I'm going to be completely honest that gravedigger I thought was a standard 1/8th at the start till I saw it drive past an object to compare its size to.
that gravedigger is running the conley v8. he started it with the original version but when they released the new version, he had to upgrade. pretty badass.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:11 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow the steam punked RC car lol
I remember we had one guy posting stuff like that on here awhile back.

I'm going to be completely honest that gravedigger I thought was a standard 1/8th at the start till I saw it drive past an object to compare its size to.
im not surprised, ive made several videos of my 1/6 hummer crawler and to me it just looks 1/10 scale with big tires. But put it next to my sc10rs and suddenly it seems huge.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:12 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I failed trying to make a tatra 6x6....I don't have the skill or patience to make a body out of styrene or wood...

so, back to the drawling board. I figured, if I cant make a simple chassis with a normal 6x6 setup, why not make a 6x6 with the wheels close together like a mini tank. This doesn't need as much flex, so I could just make a simple torsion "stick" chassis. No links, no shocks.

Then I bought a toy truck from Kmart (Cause you cant find any cool looking trucks at walmart) and slapped it on. I will end up re-doing the wood/body mount and such, but I kinda like how it looks and handles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMbup_4DTq0&list=UUvwHY0wHFW3a5QFqQRkaKGQ
Old 08-17-2014, 03:48 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

here is a better video of the 6x6....
on the rocks the setup doesn't work as well as on the bricks. The short wheel base hurts it in some ways. But, it is still fun to drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNXDNMOVfA4&list=UUvwHY0wHFW3a5QFqQRkaKGQ
Old 08-19-2014, 08:08 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dammit wish I could figure out where I put the parts I bought for my 6X6... I put them some place so I wouldn't lose em... and can't figure out where that was for the life of me... I know one day I will be like OHH YEA THAT IS WHERE I PUT THEM...
Old 08-19-2014, 08:18 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

dammit wish I could figure out where I put the parts I bought for my 6X6... I put them some place so I wouldn't lose em... and can't figure out where that was for the life of me... I know one day I will be like OHH YEA THAT IS WHERE I PUT THEM...
yeh, it sucks when you have more than one project on the back burner....then when you want to work on it some more you cant find the parts!

I just tore the truck apart to redo it. I was reading on some RS10 build threads and saw a nice way to mount shocks to the axles. One reason I had not done a regular 4 link suspension, is I had not bought the axles with the stock links and shocks. In stock form, the shocks mount to the lower links and there is no mount point for shocks on the axles. If you try to mount them at the point where the lower links mount to the axle, the shocks will either hit the wheels when they turn or the motor.
But now I have a way to mount shocks to the axle. And I figured out how to mount a set of lower links between the axles. so I will have a set of lower links from the chassis, and a second set between the 2 rear axles. Shocks and upper links will be normal setup.
I just have to make up some upper links and find 6 matching shocks (which I doubt I have and will likely have to buy)
And this time I will buy some metal plate and cut my own chassis plates.

My son wanted to drive the 6x6. He got frustrated trying to drive up a dirt hill I was going up with the 6x6 with his wheely king. So I let him and he showed some promise using throttle control. Im thinking I may need to buy a cheap rock crawler for him
I did just install a locker in the rear diff of his wheely king tonight tho...so he will be able to drive up the sandy hills better.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:48 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I made a bad choice.....2s lipo plus locker in the rear of the wheely king. Popped some impressive wheelies for about 2 minutes, then would pop a wheely and jump to the right. Left wheel's hex stripped. Now it is being glued into place.
So, out goes the locker.
But 2s lipo is a nice upgrade! Much better top speed. The longer runtimes wont hurt either.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:24 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

WOW, scanning ebay....found this ad.
custom (duh) 1/5 semi truck. It has a 50cc gas engine! Figure, the Baja is 30'' long....the truck must be around 50-60'' long. It is just epic.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	$_575.jpg
Views:	7442
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	2024870   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_572.jpg
Views:	7412
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	2024871   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_573.jpg
Views:	7470
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	2024872  
Old 08-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That semi truck is really cool! I e always wanted to build one myself, not that big though! Instead of a Baja picture scale a 1/8 buggy on the back with the truck scaled to match obviously.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:10 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ive had an idea for a build for the past year +....

I don't like onroad cars as much as offroad....not as much fun for me to drive. But ive only ever had 1/10 scale cars, which just seem small.

But a 1/5 gas onroad is very pricey.

But I got to thinking, what if I could scale up the design of a simple 1/10 pan car? Larger tires, more width and length and more weight may mean that it would handle better on your typical paved lot then a 1/10 scale pan car does.
It would still be pretty light...light enough I think that a traxxas titan 775 or a decent 550 brushless motor should be enough to achieve 30-35mph.

The body and tires would still be expensive, but if one had a way to machine the parts the materials to do so wouldn't be that costly.

I even considered if there were a way to simply widen a 1/10 pan car rear end. The axle is very simple, I don't think making wider would put to much stress on the axle.

But winter is coming, so with limited funds the only builds I will be doing any time so are crawlers. But...maybe....next summer