Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

proud daddy moment

so, early this year I put together a old Radio shack truck with new RC gear for my boy to drive.....

then he started driving my SC10 some (with throttle rate turned way down)

Then I made a rustler out of spare bits....

He got pretty good at driving all of them.

Well, today his first New RC truck arrived, a HPI wheely king. Here is some video of the first day, first battery of my 4 year old's first awesome rc truck!

SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hey, I want a Wheely King! Can I be your kid for a day? LOL!

Either way, he has some great control skills. Props to the dad for teaching him!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    so when you gonna make it 6wd

Makes me miss my WK... well when it was a WK as I technically never got rid of it... just its parts ended up in different RC's
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by collector1231 View Post
    Hey, I want a Wheely King! Can I be your kid for a day? LOL!

Either way, he has some great control skills. Props to the dad for teaching him!
    it is amazing, cause back in January he couldn't drive a rc to save his life. Now he has pretty good control for a little kid.

the wheely king is a bit slowing that I remembered, but its current speed is just about perfect for his skill level. And when he gets better, I can just slap a 15t in there. Im glad they updated it to waterproof and 2.4ghz. The radio is kinda funky, but better for small kid hands.

He ran 4 packs threw it today. He really had fun later on, when I drove my 1/6 hummer and he the WK threw some nice muddy/water ditches.

I wish I had got the expression on his face when I told him it was waterproof and he could drive threw that trench! The other models I had slapped together out of old parts and were not waterproof so I had often told him he had to be careful. When I said he could drive threw that water (which he had seen me drive threw the day before with the hummer) he jumped with excitement!

When we decided to have a second kid, I very much wanted a boy so that someday with could play with RCs together...and that day is finally here

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM View Post
    so when you gonna make it 6wd

Makes me miss my WK... well when it was a WK as I technically never got rid of it... just its parts ended up in different RC's
    im thinking since winter is maybe 4 months away, I may upgrade the motor and put a locker in the rear diff....so it will do better in the snow. Maybe I will lock both, but just for winter and snow. It should be a blast to have him do some winter snow-crawling with me. My 1/6 hummer will have some upgrades by then and in a couple weeks I should have my 6x6 tatra RS10 complete.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I ran the stock 27t motor in mine, and it worked fine in winter... hell looking at the tranny sitting on another chassis I see the stock 27t motor stills on it.

Instead of changing motors you could get the GRU for like $15 or so it would give it more torque, and slow it down some.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I ran the stock 27t motor in mine, and it worked fine in winter... hell looking at the tranny sitting on another chassis I see the stock 27t motor stills on it.

Instead of changing motors you could get the GRU for like $15 or so it would give it more torque, and slow it down some.
    don't want to slow it down...speed it up.
    It probably does have enough wheel speed for snow as is. But by next spring he will be ready for more speed, thus the 15turn. The stock speed combined with the plastic links, plastic steering parts and soft tires does mean he will have a very hard time breaking anything. He did manage to get some nasty muddy water inside them tires tho.

I had wanted to buy him a WK over a month ago (probly 2 months) and finally bit the bullet. Today, was totally worth the money...the first time the truck popped a wheely (he would often lift the front of my SC10 and then peg the throttle to make it rid a wheely) he jumped with delight.

So together we have, Sc10rs--WK--Rustler brushed---1/6 hummer and I nearly have all the parts to put back together a lunch box (minus the body). Plus, im working on the 6x6 tatra. Not a bad collection considering early this year I basically had nothing complete or running.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    ahh faster
    Personally I always felt the WK was fast enough with how high its COG is.
    I don't know how long the 15t will last though as I think its gearing is already pretty high.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    ahh faster
    Personally I always felt the WK was fast enough with how high its COG is.
    I don't know how long the 15t will last though as I think its gearing is already pretty high.
    High COG is true...the main reason I would wait a good while before upgrading....let him get a good handle on keeping it on all 4 wheels at the speed it can go now before making it go any faster. Ive seen some vids of otherwise stock WK's with a 15t and running on 2s lipo. I know you have to lower the gearing first tho. If you slap a 15t without gearing down it wont last long and you may sacrifice the wheelies.
    I will likely upgrade the speed just by switching to lipo first. That alone will increase speed some and really increase the wheely popping torque

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    what remote is that? ive been looking for awhile for a remote that a kids hand can fit. great vid btw
    My Model's
    HPI Firestorm 10T / E-Firestorm, Traxxas Stampede 4x4, OFNA CD3, Jammin CRT.5(Brushless), AE RC18MT, HPI savage octane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by echthelion View Post
    what remote is that? ive been looking for awhile for a remote that a kids hand can fit. great vid btw
    thanx
    HPI calls it the TF-11...part # 105406
    It feels kinda cheap...but only uses 4 "AA"s, has no external antenna and is a bit smaller in the hands then other RTR radios. My son still sometimes uses his other hand to engage reverse, but doesn't have to with this remote. With my sc10's radio and my flysky GTC3 radio he always has to use his other hand to reverse, cause his finger isn't long enough to push the trigger that far. But he seems to have an easier time with the WK's radio.

HPI has done some funny things recently and had some poor models as of late. But the WK was $200 shipped from tower hobbies....RTR with a battery/charger, 2.4 radio, waterproof electronics and even AAs for t he radio. Its a good package at a good price. I do wish they would upgrade the steering to an over the axle setup...but on the other hand the stock setup allows for more flex which is good for my boy as the flexing parts will save the steering servo from getting damaged.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I think this is AWESOME! So refreshing to see the excitement in your son's face.
    It's so cute to watch him follow along with the vehicle as he operates it. He has great coordination.
    Congratulations on your proud moments. I know your son is having a great time with his Daddy!

Clear Skies (and muddy puddles)

PD

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner View Post
    I do wish they would upgrade the steering to an over the axle setup...but on the other hand the stock setup allows for more flex which is good for my boy as the flexing parts will save the steering servo from getting damaged.
    There is an aftermarket piece that does that I have it for my 6wd vehicle that uses the axial chassis with WK axles. From what I remember it wasn't too expensive either.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Just remember: "Waterproof" does not mean "submerge it in muddy water, then put it on the shelf and forget about it". After such extreme conditions, a THOROUGH cleaning and drying is needed to keep things from rusting. The fact that your tires had muddy water in them illustrates the point. If those tires had foam inserts, they probably aren't going to be good for long. Don't forget the bearings. And as far as I know, LIPOs don't like getting water in them, and hard case LIPOs are generally not water-tight. So if your RC fun includes water, you might want to stick with NiMhs.
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by EXT2Rob View Post
    Just remember: "Waterproof" does not mean "submerge it in muddy water, then put it on the shelf and forget about it". After such extreme conditions, a THOROUGH cleaning and drying is needed to keep things from rusting. The fact that your tires had muddy water in them illustrates the point. If those tires had foam inserts, they probably aren't going to be good for long. Don't forget the bearings. And as far as I know, LIPOs don't like getting water in them, and hard case LIPOs are generally not water-tight. So if your RC fun includes water, you might want to stick with NiMhs.
    Not even NiMh's like water as I toasted one the 1st time I hit water with it. Water got in it, and cause insane corrosion wasn't noticeable right away 2 charges later though it was getting insanely hot for mild use took it apart completely corroded internally. After that my battery for wet driving has been dipped, and completely sealed with liquid electrical tape.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Dat smile! So awesome of you to get him into r/c. Makes me want a WK for myself AND for my little buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner View Post
    so, early this year I put together a old Radio shack truck with new RC gear for my boy to drive.....

then he started driving my SC10 some (with throttle rate turned way down)

Then I made a rustler out of spare bits....

He got pretty good at driving all of them.

Well, today his first New RC truck arrived, a HPI wheely king. Here is some video of the first day, first battery of my 4 year old's first awesome rc truck!

I excel at testing the limits of inanimate objects crossing my path.

Previous whips (in order): Kyosho Raider, Futaba FX10, Traxxas 4tec, Traxxas Nitro Vee, Traxxas Hawk2, HPI RS4MT, Team Associated RC10GT, 1st gen Traxxas Tmaxx, 2 - HPI Micro RS4s (tried getting the wife into it), Team Losi Mini T, Team Losi Micro T, Tamiya Frog re-release, Team Associated RC12E, Traxxas Mini Revo VXL, HeliMax Novus CP (I can't fly these things!), Traxxas Emaxx Brushless

Current garage:
    HPI Savage XS SS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Kids lovin life!
    CUB BROTHERHOOD # 151, CORSAIR BROTHERHOOD # 80, CLUB SAITO # 804, WACO BROTHER #242, P-47 BROTHER #98, GLOW HEAD #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    awesome.....

to a kid how awesome is mud and rc cars separately.......... and then when u combine them with water... excitement overdose
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    no kidding, how good is a SCX10 for teaching kids to drive...... mine worked a treat on my kids.

I always recommend them to anyone looking to get involved.... I even convinced my wife to buy one lol
    LOSI: 5IVE-T, 8IGHT-E, MICRO SCT
    Tamiya: TL01MT, TL01B, TA01RA, Clodbuster
    Traxxas: Slash 2wd, Axial: SCX10 Honcho
    Hobao: Hyper 10e, River Hobby X-Ranger