Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What tires should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Marciatelli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What tires should I use?

Hi guys,

Ive posted in the truggy section but nobody seem to reply and there is not much traffic there, so I decided to post it here.
So I've been having fun with my rc nitro car lately and I have to change the tires. The car itself is a Tamiya Nitrage 5.2 .
I run into small problem because the rims seemed to be little weird when it comes to diameter.
These are the rims:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/20094...13=80&ff14=108
They are 14mm hex, 87mm in diameter (around 3.4") and 50mm wide. I have no idea how and where to purchase 87mm tire?
These are the tires:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/12118...13=80&ff14=108
Outer diameter is 150mm and width is 80mm.

The rims are fine and I would like to keep them. The tires themselves are pretty awful, they are way too heavy and make each rim wider by 30mm which is awful in my opinion. The additional widening makes it prone to balooning a lot (from my experience), I havent tried to tape the inside with wither gorilla tape or duct tape but I am interested in a tire that is either same width as the rim or slightly wider. I will be using it mostly onroad and sometimes on dusty tracks (just bashing).

What would you guys recommend?
I would love to spend as little as possible on this and keep as many parts of the car as stock as possible.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tamiya does some weird things at time but I doubt they were that weird about the wheel size. I'm guessing the 3.4" you measured is to the outermost portion of the wheel. The inner portion where the tire bead sits is the measurement you need to go by when buying tires. This should be 3.2" which is standard monster truck, sometimes called Maxx size, tires. Pretty much all of these tires are going to be wider than the wheel for that monster truck look.

It it sounds like what you want is a truggy tire and wheel. Couple issues with that. First is Truggy tires won't fit on your stock wheels so say goodbye to your old wheels. The cost of Truggy wheels and tires should be cheaper than stock wheels plus tires though. Second issue is the 14mm hex, Truggy wheels are all 17mm hex. You can either change the hex to 17mm or if you can find the plastic adapter rings that make 14mm into 17mm you can run those. Personally I'd look at the HPI Savage as it runs a hex setup like yours and you can buy the 17mm hex and the right wheel nuts that fit 17mm wheels in one package to solve the problem and open up more wheel choices like Truggy wheels and 3.8" monster truck wheels.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Marciatelli

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
Tamiya does some weird things at time but I doubt they were that weird about the wheel size. I'm guessing the 3.4" you measured is to the outermost portion of the wheel. The inner portion where the tire bead sits is the measurement you need to go by when buying tires. This should be 3.2" which is standard monster truck, sometimes called Maxx size, tires. Pretty much all of these tires are going to be wider than the wheel for that monster truck look.

It it sounds like what you want is a truggy tire and wheel. Couple issues with that. First is Truggy tires won't fit on your stock wheels so say goodbye to your old wheels. The cost of Truggy wheels and tires should be cheaper than stock wheels plus tires though. Second issue is the 14mm hex, Truggy wheels are all 17mm hex. You can either change the hex to 17mm or if you can find the plastic adapter rings that make 14mm into 17mm you can run those. Personally I'd look at the HPI Savage as it runs a hex setup like yours and you can buy the 17mm hex and the right wheel nuts that fit 17mm wheels in one package to solve the problem and open up more wheel choices like Truggy wheels and 3.8" monster truck wheels.
Yeah, thats absolutely right, 3.4" was the outside diameter while the inside diameter seems to be 3.2" (My bad, I am extremely new to this tire game and whatnot, trying to get my head around it). Ive looked at the Maximizer Composite adapters (from 14mm to 17mm). So yeah, I guess I will be refitting new hubs, rims, foams, and tires. That will get me busy haha.
I have looked at 3.2 tires and these seem to be pretty narrow and giving the truggy look? What do you think?
I am from UK so I use uk shops for convinience of postage.
http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/59777/
Thats apparently a set for HPI Trophy Truggy replacement wheels, which share 3.2" bead but dont get wider.

Last edited by Marciatelli; 08-10-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-11-2014, 04:42 AM
Maj_Overdrive

Those HPI trophy truggy tires should give you the look you're after. If you're right about the measurements then you could use the Stock Tamiya wheels as well saving you from changing the hex at all.

I'm not sure what the Maximizer 14mm-17mm kit comes with but you need more than just the spacer for the hex. 17mm wheels have a bigger diameter hole in them that 14mm wheel nuts can actually fit into. So you'd at the least need washers behind the nuts but the better solution is special wheel nuts meant for this. The HPI Savage has these wheel nuts that are stepped to fit inside the 17mm wheel to both support it and secure it. Your axles look just like Savage axles and you can buy the Savage 17mm hex and wheel nuts in one package (about $10-20 USD) which is why I suggested it if you want to change to 17mm.

I was speaking in general terms about Truggy tires though with "Racing" truggy tires in mind. These days racing truggies use wheels that are 3.7" or 4.0" in diameter. Your Nitrage and the HPI Trophy truggy are kinda old school truggy. They have a truggy chassis but use monster truck size wheels and/or style tires like early truggies did.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:50 AM
Maj_Overdrive

Just looked at the Maximizer hex adapter kit and saw it is the complete package with washers meant to support the outside of the wheel. I thought they were just a hex ring that fit over the 14mm hex to make it 17mm. So the Maximizer kit will work for you just as well as the Savage hex I mentioned.

But you will want to double check your stub axles just to make sure you get the right kit. Lookup the inside diameter of the outer knuckle bearing to find the diameter of the stub axle. Then go online and look at the outer bearing for the Traxxas Revo or Maxx and lookup the HPI Savage as well. One of them will match your nitrage and that's one to get. It's hard to tell from pics online sometimes and it's better to order the right one the first time.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Marciatelli

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
Just looked at the Maximizer hex adapter kit and saw it is the complete package with washers meant to support the outside of the wheel. I thought they were just a hex ring that fit over the 14mm hex to make it 17mm. So the Maximizer kit will work for you just as well as the Savage hex I mentioned.

But you will want to double check your stub axles just to make sure you get the right kit. Lookup the inside diameter of the outer knuckle bearing to find the diameter of the stub axle. Then go online and look at the outer bearing for the Traxxas Revo or Maxx and lookup the HPI Savage as well. One of them will match your nitrage and that's one to get. It's hard to tell from pics online sometimes and it's better to order the right one the first time.
Thank you very much very much for the info and sorry for the slow reply.
I have looked at the stub axles, and so far there arent any problems. I also looked at the Nitrage 5.2 Official Thread here on RC universe and users there also confirmed usage and compatibility of the Maximizer adapter kit with genuine axles and hub pins (all that jazz).
I have no idea about HPI Trophy Truggy but Nitrage is a trans-gender between monster truck and truggy (based of TNX 5.2r which was a monster truck, thats where the wheels are from) so I guess 1gen truggies?
So far I have decided to use the originalal rims and foam inserts, just purchase the 3.2" HPI HB Khaos and then tape them to reduce balooning.
Thanks again for your help!