Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

High quality tools?

Old 08-19-2014, 03:52 PM
brewmastr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High quality tools?

hey guys, im in the process of assembling a tamiya trf 801x, and im having some issues to the 2mm pan head screws, ive basically come to the conclusion i need a good set of drivers with these as my current tool is just rounded off. hudy tools seem to be the best but quite expensive. I figured i would come here and ask for opinions on tools and what others use to get the best bang for my buck, if its hudy i need then hudy it is, opinions anyone?
Old 08-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a bench grinder or Dremel with a cutoff wheel you can grind the tip down to get rid of the rounded part and extend their life a little bit. The other cheap thing I've done is take the Allen keys included with a RTR, cut the short angled side off and insert them into the handle of my drivers since they have a set screw to hold the new bit in.

I've wanted a set of Hudy drivers for the longest time, one of these days I'll splurge. I've heard pretty good things about Dynamite and Ofna hex drivers though. Right now I have a set of Integy drivers that came with a vehicle. The titanium nitride coated Integy bits are better than their black ones but they both suck pretty bad. They are inexpensive though so I just order replacements when I'm not cutting down extra Allen keys that came with vehicles.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:30 PM
Large Larry

Hudy is pretty much where it's at. I've tried EDS and they are good but I still managed to round them off after a year or so of wrenching. My hudys are over 2 years old and still going strong.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:59 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Dynamite and Associated drivers! Anything machined, pretty much.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:16 PM
brewmastr

I seem confused, are the dynamite drivers really that good, they seem very inexpensive.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:38 AM
EXT2Rob

I have a set of Dynamite hex drivers. For the money, they're just OK. The tips will eventually round off, but can be refreshed by grinding the tip flat. I ended up buying an MIP brand 2.0mm driver since it's the one that gets the most use and was always stripping. My buddy has a set of Duratrax tools and they seem better than Dynamite.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:27 PM
Large Larry

I have no experience with Dynamite drivers but they're not something I would bother with. Like mentioned above, it might be a good idea to buy a hudy driver for your most used one (usually 2mm) and get decent ones for the rest. I'd recommend EDS for the rest, I did round one of mine off after a year but I did more wrenching in that year than I probably have during my whole time in the hobby.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:25 AM
EXT2Rob

Never heard of EDS, Larry. Got a link?
I agree with you, buy a REALLY GOOD driver for the one you use the most, and you can get by with cheaper ones for the less-used sizes.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Large Larry

Sure. I think they are mainly sold on ebay but I picked mine up from the hobby shop.

http://edsracingproducts.com/
Old 08-23-2014, 06:02 AM
collector1231

My LHS only uses the Dynamite MACHINED (NOT THE BLACK COVERED ONES!)!!
Old 08-24-2014, 04:12 PM
brewmastr

well i would like to thank everyone for there advice here, after considering everyone input, i went ahead and bought a hudy 2mm,2.5 and 3mm drivers. now to just wait for there arrival so i can get this buggy up and running! Thanks again.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:35 AM
wwit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I missed the boat on this thread first time around. But for anyone else looking for same higher end tools, more specific high end hex drivers, I recommend the Thorp drivers made by MIP. I have the 1.5, 2, 2.5mm set and wouldn't go near an RC vehicle without them. Over the years I have rounded off, bent and broken dozens of hex wrench's. Spending far more on junk then then I did on my MIP's. And other than cost, better drivers come with so much less frustration it makes working on small RC's enjoyable.