Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

New to r/c and i bought broken and used with no manual...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New to r/c and i bought broken and used with no manual...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 05:52 PM
thumbtak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to r/c and i bought broken and used with no manual...

I have a nitro Savage X and im unsure of what model, is there any way to tell? (Model number somewhere on the car or something of that nature.) Im in the same boat with a CEN Racing car. No bodies with either of em. Any ideas?
Old 08-19-2014, 07:40 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Post clean photos of each. A direct overhead view, a view of the front suspension and rear section. Then maybe a closer shot of the middle area with the drive train. A belly shot wouldn't hurt either.

What led you believe it's a Savage X?
Old 08-19-2014, 08:04 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

agree post pics

Savage X is a model name
There are 2 variations though one has purple aluminum parts, and the new version has orange aluminum parts.
Easy way to tell if its a Savage X is by the radio box on the TVP right before the transmission it will have a large X
Bodies there are tons they sell for it as Savages bodies don't usually last long
Old 08-20-2014, 07:26 AM
thumbtak

Pics are on the way soon in about 10 hours. I know its a savage x by going to the HPI website and looking up what models they sell. It has a x on the body, and has purple aluminum parts. My question is are there different parts for each version, I need a rear diff and a one way bearing. I want to be able to know for sure I am ordering the right part. Now the CEN racing car I have no clue what it is. Pics coming soon. Thank you to both of you for your help. Im sure I will need help from time to time. I have had them for 3 years and just got the savage in working order last week, well working as if I get it started and I pull the trigger it will roll down the street. lol thanks again.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:57 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I own a Flux and am not too saavy with the nitro versions. Didn't HPI put that X on the older 25 also? Does the engine block have a "25" or a "4.6" on it? I'm betting on "25".
Old 08-20-2014, 04:02 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by BKoz559
I own a Flux and am not too saavy with the nitro versions. Didn't HPI put that X on the older 25 also? Does the engine block have a "25" or a "4.6" on it? I'm betting on "25".
no the .25 had silver TVP's like the .21 actually they were the same truck apart from the engine. They also had that silver aluminum roll bar. The X was when it got plastic.

as for the diffs... there are 2 different diffs unfortunately one with BP diffs (the modern), and the hardened steel. The purple aluminum ones are the non bulletproof diffs, and those have a different gear ratio so you need to get another diff for that model (or upgrade the other, and get a BP rear). I'm 95% sure the diffs gear ratio in the .21, and .25 is the same as the X.

I mainly know this stuff cause I upgraded a Savage .21 to a flux, and had to replace pretty much 85% of the truck, and own a X .

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 08-20-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:58 PM
thumbtak

pics. Oh and the diffs have 4 gears inside, if that helps at all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0436.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2024127   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0437.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2024128   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0438.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	2024129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0439.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2024130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0440.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	2024131   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0442.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	2024132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0444.jpg
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	2024134  

Last edited by thumbtak; 08-20-2014 at 05:02 PM. Reason: add a thought
Old 08-20-2014, 05:28 PM
thumbtak

Here is the CEN Racing car.

Name:	IMAG0451.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	2024138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0453.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2024139   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0460.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2024140   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0462.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	2024141   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0463.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2024142   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0464.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	2024143   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0467.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	2024144   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0449.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	2024145  

Old 08-20-2014, 07:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

My guess on the savage is an original savage X RTR as it has a plastic pipe, and the engine heads a tad different then the SS's k4.6 (basically the RTR had a better engine)

For body shells http://www.hpiracing.com/en/parts/105645/bodyshells pick one
Will say one thing the charger, and cuda bodies are a PITA as the rear bumper just gets taped on, and is prone to flying off.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:21 PM
thumbtak

Where would one get a manual? I should be looking for a Savage X 4.6 RTR manual? When i try looking up manuals i run into the newer versions of this truck, What i really want is a way to order parts and look them up by the part number.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:27 PM
thumbtak

So the new diffs are the way to go if im going to purchase some eh? whats the difference in the gearing? you happen to have part numbers for each of the 2 options? My diffs have four gears inside and when looking on the interweb they kept trying to sell me a conversion to a four gear setup. But i have those already. would those be the BP diffs?
Old 08-21-2014, 06:06 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/instructions try this
Old 08-21-2014, 06:46 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

way I did it was go on ebay, and look up HPI savage diffs

Damn have diffs dropped in price I remember paying $70 a pop, and thinking I got a great deal I see them for $40 shipped now
I see the older Savage diffs for $24
old diffs are 43/13(ones you have) where new ones are 29/9
The auctions are usually for the whole bulkhead complete(like the 2 I saw) which were taken off a brand new savage..

http://www.hpiracing.com/assets/docu...s_glb_m_v1.pdf use that manual the Savage X manual they now have is only for the updated model. The X SS was just the kit form on the Savage X RTR, and only note able differences are the lack of servos & radio, had a different engine, and pipe (the X SS had a chrome pipe that looked cool, but I crushed faster then a aluminum soda can)

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 08-21-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:36 PM
thumbtak

Well then should i just upgrade to the new diffs? I think i can find them for $20 a piece as well. To upgrade i just have to buy the Diff right? Nothing else?
Old 08-24-2014, 01:32 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by thumbtak
Well then should i just upgrade to the new diffs? I think i can find them for $20 a piece as well. To upgrade i just have to buy the Diff right? Nothing else?
I would get the whole diff housing as it includes the bevel gear that drives the diff. Those $20 diffs I saw looked like they only had the diff itself.
I wish I could remember if you could use the old cups or not that you have to screw on to use the dogbones.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:35 PM
Talon Karrde

I'm not here to hijack this thread. I'm in the same boat as thumbtak, but I was given, now my, Savage. I have no clue what model or what year it was made. It looks like there where some upgrades to it I think.... Metal side plates & roll bar, dog bones, and a futaba 2ch radio. I have no manuals and the engine is a HPI .21 with a purple head. It might be a SS engine. The engine looks and feels clean, but the carb will not open more than 1/4 way.

Now for the questions:

1. Is their any way to figure out what model I'm playing with here? Wheel base, springs...... obvious stuff!
2. How do I unstick this carb to open fully?
3. If not, Is their a carb that will work with this engine?
4. If not, what engines will work with this beast? I have a TRX 3.3 in the box....yes,no?
5. Are their any upgrades that are a must for this truck? Just going to bash, no racing.
6. Is a reverse module worth it? I have a 3ch. remote to replace the one on board.
7. Once we figure out what version it is... How big can I go in engine size?

I'm on a reasonable budget, so please no," this engine is the best... It's only $600!" I've also been playing with r/c for 12 or so years, so mods and some minor fab work is not a problem.

Thanks for any help you all can give. If you really need pictures I'll try to get some.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:46 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

1. Pictures are a thousand words.
2. Take it off the engine, and run some nitro fuel through or Dynamite Nitro Force through it.
3. Just buy one that is made for that engine.
4. The 3.3 will work if you replace the whole engine, but you should first clean the carb.
5. You're going to need pictures for that.
6. It is, but mine is somewhat sticky on my Tmaxx. Plus, its also one more thing to go wrong.
7. As long as the holes line up on the mounting bracket for the engine, you're good to go!
Old 08-28-2014, 07:24 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by collector1231
1. Pictures are a thousand words.
2. Take it off the engine, and run some nitro fuel through or Dynamite Nitro Force through it.
3. Just buy one that is made for that engine.
4. The 3.3 will work if you replace the whole engine, but you should first clean the carb.
5. You're going to need pictures for that.
6. It is, but mine is somewhat sticky on my Tmaxx. Plus, its also one more thing to go wrong.
7. As long as the holes line up on the mounting bracket for the engine, you're good to go!
HELL NO it won't work
He would need to make some custom motor mount, and then it would probably go faster, and farther if he pushed it with his hand

If it has the metal roll bar, and a .21 then its the original .21 savage.(not like there were any real differences between the .21, and .25 outside engines that I know of)

Could soak the carb in rubbing alcohol as I've heard that could free it up(or let it sit in some nitro that works well too)

Upgrades.... honestly you could upgrade to savage X parts hell I took a .21, and made it a savage flux(I do NOT recommend this). Main issues are the diff housings as outside those 95% of the parts are direct swaps.
1st thing I would do is change the servo/RX/battery box to the X design as I found the original to be a PITA to work with. It is a 100% direct fit swap.
if your diff is gone you will pretty much have to change both at the same time, and get savage X TVP's as the diffs are the only non direct swappable part that I can think of (I think one part needed to be dremeled on the bumper plate too, but my memory is a bit foggy on that)

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 08-28-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:53 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Talon Karrde
4. If not, what engines will work with this beast? I have a TRX 3.3 in the box....yes,no?

7. Once we figure out what version it is... How big can I go in engine size?

I've also been playing with r/c for 12 or so years, so mods and some minor fab work is not a problem.
Putting a Traxxas engine in the Savage is definitely not a bolt in affair. The Savage uses .21-.32 big block engines. The Traxxas engine is a small block with a totally different mounting pattern and footprint. If you really want to use the Trx engine get a stock Tmaxx mount and make a new plate that the engine sits on in the chassis. You can use the Savage clutch and flywheel on the Trx engine. But as Syco said the truck is going to be a bunch slower since the Trx is less powerful and the Savage is a heavier truck.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:37 PM
Talon Karrde

Ok so nix the 3.3, replace the RX box, get Savage X parts, and new maybe new diffs.

I'll try to get some pictures of the truck and engine. The guy I got this from said the manual was with it but he can't find it. It was his friend that gave it to him.

Sometime soon I'll be able to start really tearing it apart to look for issues and places for upgrades.

I was looking at the bag it came in last night, and I found 4 AL shocks that look like they belong in the '80's. with the way they are colored. This got me thinking that do I need 4 more of them or is that all I need to replace the 8 plastic one that are on there now. I really hat the colors....to bright.

Also I'm looking at new engines, if I can't fix this P.I.T.A. carb, here are my choices so far;
1. F4.6
2. K5.9
3. O.S. 30VG (P) ES (works with the roto start)
Are any of these viable engines?

Would I need to do extensive upgrades to keep it from tearing the truck apart... Etc? As it looks HPI does mot make the .25 that came with this model anymore

Here are some pics that you all wanted:

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	2027080   Click image for larger version

Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	2027081   Click image for larger version

Views:	48
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2027082   Click image for larger version

Views:	60
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2027083  

Last edited by Talon Karrde; 08-29-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:09 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

F4.6 is a good starter engine. Pretty easy to tune, and pretty good quality as far as RTR engines go.

As for those shocks those are integy shocks... If you recycle cans throw them in the bag with them and save yourself a headache
I saw a guy jump a savage 1-2 feet high, and on landing he bent 3 of those shocks, and on 1 other the rod snapped in half it was his 1st run after slapping them on too lol For reference on stock savage X shocks I've jumped my savage 15-20 feet in the air landing on concrete with them not getting damaged (the truck wasn't damaged either)

The metal roll bar you actually might want to buy the Savage X rollbar, and cage to swap onto it as the plastic one does a better job protecting the engine fins from getting hit.
The metal one if you land on it will just bend where the plastic one will absorb some of the impact, and bounce back

Engine you would pretty much take the clutch, and parts off the current engine, and just slap them on the new one, and bolt it into place.
Only time I found I had to tear the truck apart was to work on the transmission, diffs, or if you bend the plates(which can happen if you land a jump wrong, or slam it going full speed into a brick wall).

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 08-29-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:37 PM
Talon Karrde

Thanks for the info. Actually I do recycle!

I do have a lot experience with tuning engines. So a "starter" engine is kinda a ho hum thing. I was more looking for an engine that would be at the top end for this model. I have no problem dropping a few hundred ($300 max) on a good engine. I just don't want to get one that fits then proceeds to make short work of the drive train.

If the 4.6 is the engine that the truck can barely handle... Ok. I'll look into getting one.

It also looks like I'm going to have to buy a new clutch, cause the one I have here is a 2 shoe type. I'll look at the diffs and see what condition they are in. I'm also looking into improving the breaks on this thing. My T-Maxx looks like it has a better set up. Any suggestions?

I have a few more questions but I'll hold off and see if I can't find them for myself first.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Talon Karrde

So I have looked around the net and found way to much info, and many of the parts are no longer being made. I have a sick feeling that there is not much after market support for the savage anymore. For that matter monster trucks old and new. Unless you what to convert to electric. It looks like I'm going to be hunting eBay and craigslist for parts that I will need.

The problem I have been coming across is that sites are still up, but they are no longer in business, or are no longer in the R/C field.

Does anyone have a link or a list of who still makes parts for this old truck?
Old 10-01-2014, 05:22 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Oh, Savage parts are still made.
http://www.rcplanet.com/Savage_X_4_1...95.htm?pgnum=1
http://www.rcboca.com/parts-accessor...savage-x-parts
http://www.integy.com/st_main.html?p...9#.VCypQBbWd9M
Old 10-01-2014, 07:21 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by Talon Karrde
So I have looked around the net and found way to much info, and many of the parts are no longer being made. I have a sick feeling that there is not much after market support for the savage anymore. For that matter monster trucks old and new. Unless you what to convert to electric. It looks like I'm going to be hunting eBay and craigslist for parts that I will need.

The problem I have been coming across is that sites are still up, but they are no longer in business, or are no longer in the R/C field.

Does anyone have a link or a list of who still makes parts for this old truck?
Like I said Savage parts are pretty universal, and the aftermarket parts are pretty numerous. You can make a truck out of mostly aftermarket parts...
Honestly the only parts that I never seen aftermarket pieces made were the diffs,and center tranny. Everything else you could buy aftermarket. I have aftermarket TVP's, Arms, and rear uprights on my one.

Now if you want to go based on just that only truck its been phased out quite a few years ago.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 10-01-2014 at 07:25 PM.