RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Axiel power issue

Old 08-20-2014, 03:14 PM
turok007

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Axiel power issue

i have a used wraith running a novak rockstar 35t & ae-2 esc and a 30c 2s lipo. but the truck seems to be turning off under load. but it restarts after a few seconds. this happens even if the lipo is near full charge. the drive train is ok motor has been fully cleaned and it all looks excellent condition/almost new. should i get a BEC. i have tried holding the front wheels to strain the servo a little but the truck doesn't lose power.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:44 AM
EXT2Rob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Did you get the battery with the used truck? If so, I'd say it's the battery. When Lipos get old, they will behave like they are not charged, or partially charged. It'll run a few minutes maybe, then it acts like the LVC is cutting in, then a half lap later, full power again, and a lap later the power drops again. This is the sign that the lipo battery is at the end of it's life and needs to be replaced. I am told that placing the pack in a coffee can of salt water for a few days will neutralize the chemistry and make it safe for disposal.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:45 AM
BKoz559

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Do you have a way to verify the voltage? This could help to more accurately assess the battery's condition.

Something else that comes to mind is the motor, specifically the brush's and commutator. Is the motor getting very hot to the touch? My theory is that the motor is worn or wearing out or the armature windings could be damaged too causing excess resistance. This can make an ESC thermal out or shutdown from an overload. If the brushes and comm don't look like they have a deep groove cut into them then cleaning with an electrical cleaner could help here. It's hard to say without being able to see the truck in person.

Have you verified that the drive train rolls freely? Did you remove the pinion gear and push the truck by hand? If not, try that to feel for tight spots in the drive train. Hold the truck in the air and rotate each tire and try to feel the wheel bearings at each corner. Frozen bearings can cause problems too.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:04 PM
turok007

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

after checking everything. it was the lipo which is strange as it was fine on my traxxas 2wd stampede. i even tried a lipo buzzer on the wraith and that didn't even beep to show low power. so that is why i was thinking the lipo was fine.

Search this Thread