Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

2wd SCT's Don't Fly

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 06:27 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2wd SCT's Don't Fly

It's common knowledge that 2wd SCT's don't fly/jump anything like a 1/8 buggy. It's fustratin, they can never clear triples or even some of the big jumps

For one, with 2wd u don't have that mid air pitch control like a 4x4 has
and I use to think the flying issue was due to the body. But I'm not convinced.

over the past 12 months I've clocked up a lot of hours on a carpet indoor track with a LCG slash and a high flow proline body. Yes the high flow body helps slightly with the parachuting effect but, I'm finding I only get parachuting if I completely mess up a jump and the nose is to high. So even with clean launches it still does not fly like a 1/8 buggy

just recently ive ive got a losi 8ight-e up and going and I clocked about 3h on the track last weekend.
and by the feel. Yes it has more power and generally is faster...but it's a hell of a lot heavier... No kidding they are heavy compared

So I'm thinking, is the reason 2wd SCT's don't fly, because they are so light?

and would a 1/8 buggy with a SCT body still fly?
Old 08-25-2014, 06:57 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah they do; you just need more powerrrrr!!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:52 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first brushless conversion was an old Ofna LX I also put a SCT body on. In my opinion the body did effect the flight characteristics a bit. It just seemed to slow down in the air more with the SCT body whether the nose was up, level or down. I remember having to do more mid air corrections than with the buggy body and wing too but that could've been attributed to other factors like the setup and the jumps themselves. The weight of the buggy kept the momentum up though. It it should be noted I never raced it or jumped it on a track. Just bashing around on various jumps, ramps, etc. never really did any back to back comparisons either, just had my brushless converted SCT Ofna buggy and the memory of a previous nitro buggy, I've never had a Slash or true SCT truck. My Traxxas Rally doesn't really get jumped either.

Ive read posts where people have gone from 4wd SCT trucks to 1/8 buggies with SCT bodies. There were always comments about the increased durability, power and sometimes they preffered the handling. I've never seen anyone post that a SCT bodied 1/8 buggy flies better than a true SCT truck though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	b-corr1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	2026114  
Old 08-26-2014, 06:37 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think power has anything to do with it.... The SCT already wheelies down the straight if ur not careful...
And when u think about it, jumping a SCT is like trying to throw a balloon...

I honestly think the reson 1/8 buggies fly a lot futher than a SCT is because of inertia