Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Motor for onyx 5000mah battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 07:44 AM
96yellowjacket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor for onyx 5000mah battery

Hello - new to the forum.

I built an RC 10 buggy (gold aluminium tub) many years ago. It is in great condition and wanted to get it running for the kids to try.

When I built it I replaced the stock motor with an after market Reedy and installed a Futaba ESC MC210CB.
I charged up the old 1700mah nicad and it ran for about 3 min.

I purchased a new onyx 5000mah Nimh battery to go in it and I think it fried the motor. I checked it with a volt meter and the ESC is working well, just the motor stopped working.

Can you guys recommend some good motor replacements to go with this new battery? I am lookinig for good run time at least 20+min per charge.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-09-2014, 07:30 PM
cumquat

here you go http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXULR5&P=ML it has plenty of torque and speed to keep you entertained yet it's mild enough so the kids dont destroy your gold pan. you will probably want to buy a couple sets of these too http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDSYG&P=7 my experience is they dont last too long with inexperienced drivers. luckily they re-released the gold pan last year so parts are available for them again.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:37 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That battery wouldn't have burned out your motor necessarilly; even it it was a 7C. If the motor was dirty from sitting unused for a long time then that could possibly do it. Check the condition of the brushes, if they're not worn down to a nub then try a quick cleaning. If you don't have cleaning tools you can get away with some alcohol on a Q-tip. Clean the brush faces and stick the Q-tip into the brush slots against the commutator then spin the rotor a few times. This isn't perfect but it's better than nothing. Electrical contact cleaner works very well if you are able to obtain some.

Reasemble the motor and try again. If you can see the copper windings on the rotor check if areas appear to have a blue/purple tint or even black. This could mean a short occured and basically fried the motor. You would need to replace the motor at that point.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:51 AM
96yellowjacket

Thank you for the replies. I will take alook at the motor more closely this weekend. The tower hobbies rep recommended replacing the ESC and motor as they were not designed for this type of (modern) battery. I did not quite understand this - I figuered as long as I had 7.2v supplied all is good. The additional mamp just increases the run time.