Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

I need some help Identifying an RC Car.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

I need some help Identifying an RC Car.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:59 PM
the_almighty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some help Identifying an RC Car.

Hi. I don't know much about RC Cars. I purchased one from a garage sale for my kid to play with. The guy said it was a Traxxas. It has a Traxxas xL5 ESC & a Traxxas motor but I can't find anything else that identifies it as a Traxxas. The Chassis looks like it's a harder glossy plastic rather than what I see the other Traxxas cars made of, I do have 2wd Slash. I'm thinking it's either an offbrand roller with a Traxxas ESC & Motor or maybe it's just a really old model Traxxas "something".

I bought this one for my Son because it is 4wd. It runs & is fun for him but It needs a few parts & I'd like to figure out what it is so I know what to order. I may try to take it back to the guy & get my money back if it's not a Traxxas as he said it was.

If anyone can help I'll really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Pictures of it are below

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone 057 (700x523).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	2031002   Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone 058 (700x523).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	2031003   Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone 059 (700x523).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	2031004  
Old 09-11-2014, 08:50 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tamiya DF-02
I have 2 of them, and my nephew has one.
Decent vehicle only has a few minor issues most of which are easily fixed.

Confused as to why only one piece of the aluminum steering upgrade is on it though as from what I can remember when I bought it that it was a 3 piece kit that replaced the 2 plastic pieces on the sides also.

So no its not an offbrand roller as Tamiya has been in the industry since way before Traxxas existed, and has a ton of vehicles that had knockoffs made.

BTW its actually a buggy the guy seems to have removed the wing mount, and slapped some ST tires on it.

Actually I take it back... Can you take a better picture of the front, and rear shock towers also where are the body mount posts are? Also do the shocks have oil in them, or are they really springy?
It looks like it might be the extreme machines knockoff of the DF-02. Which isn't a bad thing as the shocks at least weren't worthless like the stock DF-02's its just you would need the body mount posts. The knockoffs quality was pretty good as it actually fixed one of the few issues the real one has. If it was the extreme machines copy it would also explain why there is no wing mount as it was sold as a monster truck.

My question is how much did you pay for it
The ESC alone you could sell for $20-30 on ebay

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 09-11-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:36 PM
cumquat

yep, df02. only issue i have ever had was when running massive tires (couldnt gear it low enough and fried the motor).
Old 09-12-2014, 08:09 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by cumquat
yep, df02. only issue i have ever had was when running massive tires (couldnt gear it low enough and fried the motor).
lol how big of tires where you running
the extreme machines knockoff came with knockoff HPI geolanders which are the same size as masher 2k's, and it could run fine without overheating.

and yea its definitely a DF-02 or the clone. Only reason I think it might be the clone is the front shock tower looks a little tall, but it might just be the angle which is why I asked for a better pic of the front.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:14 AM
gdqcachter

i have ever had was when running massive tires
Old 09-13-2014, 10:05 AM
cumquat

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
lol how big of tires where you running
the extreme machines knockoff came with knockoff HPI geolanders which are the same size as masher 2k's, and it could run fine without overheating.

and yea its definitely a DF-02 or the clone. Only reason I think it might be the clone is the front shock tower looks a little tall, but it might just be the angle which is why I asked for a better pic of the front.
actually, i was running mashers. problem was i was using a 4000kv motor with stock gearing. burnt the coil, and this was in the middle of February!

just looked at the pictures again and noticed there are no front dogbones. meaning, it is currently only rear wheel drive.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:16 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by cumquat
actually, i was running mashers. problem was i was using a 4000kv motor with stock gearing. burnt the coil, and this was in the middle of February!

just looked at the pictures again and noticed there are no front dogbones. meaning, it is currently only rear wheel drive.
good catch on the missing dogbones.
Kinda makes you wonder if there is anything else wrong with it.

and yea 4000kv with mashers might have been a bit overkill
I ran mine with whatever the stock motor was in the extreme machine. Would love to say what it was, but it was some unmarked can that recalling from memory was a 550 that I estimated the RPM was around a 540's 35t motor on I think it was the lowest pinion available.
But it did kill the stock ESC after a 2 runs(It was a cheap ass ESC) which was when I dropped it to 2.2 ST Dirt hawgs, and slapped a ST body on it.