Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

traxxas' new release

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 05:09 AM
turok007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traxxas Connector has 24.5 times less resistance than a Molex connector. WOW
Old 10-06-2014, 09:22 AM
Ttowntoolman

And when I push this button it makes this sound...........really LAME...almost embarrassing. J/K kinda..... Sorry guys.

Last edited by Ttowntoolman; 10-06-2014 at 12:13 PM. Reason: too harsh
Old 10-06-2014, 11:12 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a nifty idea, having the balance tap part of the connector. Clever indeed. BUT.....

- That design means that only Traxxas batteries will have that feature, and
- Only Traxxas chargers will have the ability to use that connector.

I don't see it being modified for use with other brands. One step forward, two back. I'm all for universality as much as possible. Anyone can use the standard Traxxas connector on ANY car and ANY charger. So I HOPE they don't discontinue that!
Old 10-06-2014, 11:17 AM
EXT2Rob

Originally Posted by turok007
Traxxas Connector has 24.5 times less resistance than a Molex connector. WOW
HELL Yeah! Molex connectors have no business being around brushless motors and LiPO batteries, and should be BANNED from the hobby! They might've been ok back in the 70s and 80s, but not anymore.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looking at it what is the purpose of a balance wire connector in the plug as it only has space for one you obviously can't balance charge off it unless they come out with some proprietary charger that is that uses the main wire in place of a balance wire...

Ohh well if they discontinue their old ones I'll just go EC3 or 5 as they are cheaper, easier to solder, and more robust.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:07 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's cool...

It is going to be for only Traxxas products, but I bet some of the other battery companies will adopt this conector. ATM u can buy lipos with the older Traxxas conectors. So I guess it's only a matter of time

But knowing Traxxas, I wouldent be surprised if they make an adapter to plug in a normal battery to the charger...
Old 10-06-2014, 09:20 PM
phmaximus

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
looking at it what is the purpose of a balance wire connector in the plug as it only has space for one you obviously can't balance charge off it unless they come out with some proprietary charger that is that uses the main wire in place of a balance wire...

Ohh well if they discontinue their old ones I'll just go EC3 or 5 as they are cheaper, easier to solder, and more robust.
Dont know what u mean???

there is 2 balance wires???

The only limitations I see... U can only use up to 3s lipo's

im planing to convert my cars and chargers to use these connectors... I figure it will only take 2min to hard wire a adapter...

FYI, 2s lipos only has one balance wire and a 3s lipos have two, the other two are just the main positive and negative.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:46 PM
thehuntingterminator

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner
ah, google search I found my answer.....the sound module sits on the chassis and has 2 outputs.....which go to a front and a rear speaker that are mounted to the body.

"The On Board Audio system controller mounts to the chassis, but that’s not where the sound comes from–it’s wired into a pair of speakers that are mounted inside the body. A connector allows you to remove the body easily with the speakers attached."

according to traxxas this version of the 2wd brushed slash will be $299. I just looked and $250 seemed the going rate on ebay for the current version. $50 increase isn't bad. And I guess this new version will include a slightly better 4amp battery charger as well.

I am going to wait and see what the module/speakers go for when people start parting out these models on ebay.
That 4 amp charger is a must. I think this is in response to ECX's 45 minute out-of-the-box charger and how much more attractive that is than Traxxas's 8 hour junk. I think Traxxas has lost a lot of ground in the last year, and they're gonna have to work hard to get it back. I think this is a step in the right direction, but 4 amp charger or not, their prices are just too high IMO.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:57 AM
phmaximus

Can't agree more, these 4amp chargers are a step in the right direction.

Im not 100% sure but I think the OBA Slash will come with the new charger...
http://traxxas.com/products/parts/ch...peakplus4ampid

if so, it would be perfect for people new to the hobby, because it's as easy to use as a wall charger (auto battery detect and simplified battery conector)... And the charging time will be a great selling point.

i wonder why Traxxas has not included a 2wd Slash with the new LCG chassis in it's RTR line up? Something like a platinum edition with that and alloy bits like the 4x4 platinum
Old 10-08-2014, 08:16 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phmaximus
Dont know what u mean???

there is 2 balance wires???

The only limitations I see... U can only use up to 3s lipo's

im planing to convert my cars and chargers to use these connectors... I figure it will only take 2min to hard wire a adapter...

FYI, 2s lipos only has one balance wire and a 3s lipos have two, the other two are just the main positive and negative.
pretty much what I meant the charger would have to use the main positive, and negative terminal as part of balance process, and use the other 1-2 for cells. I'll be honest I can visualize it better then explain it in words so screw explaining I'll put a picture

Basically like you said 3S is max it can handle as the yellow line would be the one wrapped around the positive terminal, and the blue would be the one going to the negative terminal.

I dunno though seems interesting, and might clean up some wiring, but you would need batteries specifically made for this(with long balance leads to wire in), or balance lead adapters made to extend it to the connector. Seems more a hassle then its worth IMO
Now if all ESC's would start reading individual voltage of cells then I can see this idea taking off, but outside traxas specific ESC's I see this as a niche idea.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	crappydrawing.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	2038541  

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 10-08-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:26 PM
pcarluvr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you think with the speakers mounted in the body that the body itself may amplify the sound some? Like cupping your hands around the speaker in your phone? Sorry to get off the battery part! What will Traxxas think of next, maybe an audio thingy to make my nitro sound electric? Once again sorry, had to have a sarcastic comment too!
Old 10-08-2014, 04:54 PM
phmaximus

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
pretty much what I meant the charger would have to use the main positive, and negative terminal as part of balance process, and use the other 1-2 for cells. I'll be honest I can visualize it better then explain it in words so screw explaining I'll put a picture

Basically like you said 3S is max it can handle as the yellow line would be the one wrapped around the positive terminal, and the blue would be the one going to the negative terminal.

I dunno though seems interesting, and might clean up some wiring, but you would need batteries specifically made for this(with long balance leads to wire in), or balance lead adapters made to extend it to the connector. Seems more a hassle then its worth IMO
Now if all ESC's would start reading individual voltage of cells then I can see this idea taking off, but outside traxas specific ESC's I see this as a niche idea.
That it m8, that's what I was thinking... It might make for a more durable connection. There is nothing worse than the wires been ripped out from a short balance plug connector...

It it would be cool if other manufactures adopted this but it's very unlikely...

I was was thinking, they need a adapter like the telemetry power tap. So people can use other brand batteries with the Traxxas charger.
im picturing something similar (different internal wiring)to this but the additional wire(s) would plug into a standard balance plug.
They could offer 2 versions,
1 one with a male balance plug, traxxas charger to aftermarket battery
2 one with a female balance plug, aftermarket charger to traxxas battery, but with the addition of 2 extra wires (positive and negative) that go to the balance plug

Just thought i should mention as it's not clear in the photo.
that adapter has a male plug on one end and a female plug on the other end.
and the 2 little arms click onto existing Traxxas style conectors

Last edited by phmaximus; 10-08-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:32 AM
EXT2Rob

Originally Posted by pcarluvr
Do you think with the speakers mounted in the body that the body itself may amplify the sound some? Like cupping your hands around the speaker in your phone? Sorry to get off the battery part! What will Traxxas think of next, maybe an audio thingy to make my nitro sound electric? Once again sorry, had to have a sarcastic comment too!
Certainly, the sound from the speaker energizes the lexan body, and it vibrates too. But amplify? I doubt it.
But that gets me to thinking: would it be possible to make the BODY the speaker? As in using a transducer, like you supposedly can in your home, by attaching a transducer to a window or wall to produce sound. But the transducer might weigh more than a speaker.