Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Suggestions needed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:36 AM
knowlerohrer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions needed.

Hello, I am hoping that this is a good question that someone will be able to answer.

Last year i bought my then 3 year old son a Nikko Vaporizr which he absolutely loved.

It, in many ways, was the perfect car. Cheap at £40, fast, tank controls, worked comfortably on all terrain including the lawn i had not mowed and, after a bit of sticky tape and bubble wrap on the bumpers, very solid. He would happily slam it into walls, doors, tables, peoples feet etc and never once did it break. However after a few months of not playing with it we got it out and the battery and charger had died on us.

When i went to get a replacement it was basically cheaper to buy a new car than to buy the battery and charger. (Mostly due to having to have it sent from Germany and not being able to find any UK suppliers who stocked them)

I know that the nikko vaporizr is more a toy and this forum is more focused on the hobby/enthusiast end of things but i hope someone can recommend some alternatives to the nikko vaporizr that are similar but have easier and cheaper to obtain parts. (side note we have no interest in the ability to drive accross water)

If you have read this far thank you for your time
Old 10-24-2014, 07:55 PM
cumquat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry, but the nature of toy grade is break and replace. you wont find much with replacement parts available. that said, 4 years old isnt too early to get started in hobby grade rc. yes, there is a significant price difference but you will save money in the long run. here is one that looks about perfect http://www.modelsport.co.uk/kyosho-s...roducts/387720 i am totally aware that this is literally 3.5 times the price of the vehicle you previously purchased your son, and it does not have tank-style steering. however, it does have readily available parts and it can be upgraded to go faster when he gets older.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:09 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/kyosho-n...roducts/370400
bout as cheap as you can get in hobby grade
I actually wanted one cause of how it looks, but never got around to buying it as I have no room to put it
Old 10-26-2014, 05:19 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Parts availability has got to be on top of the list of stepping up to hobby grade. Looking at the Vaporizir you want a 4x4 truck; at least something that sits up high enough; with big tires; probably no smaller than 1/10 to be able to run in grass. I would ask yourself how proficient is your 4 year old at driving at higher speeds? But a lot of hobby grade RCs radios have EPA (end point adjustments) to allow you to set how far the speed control goes (limiting the speed). I would stick with a RTR (ready-to-run) well know brand Kyosho, or Tamyia only because of parts.

I don't know what type of buget range you have, and like SyCo_VenoM's signature says..."With great speed comes greater repair bills."

Just check for replacement parts and maybe find a RTR that has a charger/battery with it. Unless you plan to upgrade a lot.

Last edited by RustyUs; 10-26-2014 at 05:24 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:24 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing about the batteries and chargers that come with RTRs is, they are only good enough to get you going on the first day. The charger is so whimpy it takes hours to charge the NiMh pack, that is usually only 1500mah, which is good for about 5min of run time. Then you have to wait another 3 hours for the sucker to charge up. I'd rather they just forgo the battery and charger and charge me less for the car! For that matter, they could also forgo the radio too. ModelSportUK looks to have a lot to choose from. Tho they have some brands I've never heard of here, they may be common over there. I saw a 1/18 scale 4wd off-roader for only 56 pounds that looked to be decently built. But as Rusty said, your concern should be replacement parts availability. If MSUK stocks parts for all the models they list, you're probably good.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: RC cars meant for beginners should always be fitted with front and rear bumpers from the get-go. But I guess they want you to buy replacment parts. What ever you buy, find a good bumper set for it. If they don't make one for that model, find something and make it fit. A good bumper will save you lots of headache over repairs.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:49 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow that site took the NEXXT down since I linked it lol