Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Rustler or Revo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 12:46 PM
micah11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rustler or Revo?

I had a Redcat Racing Caldera 10E a couple years ago, and it was a great truck for the price. I sold it, and have been wanting another rc ever since. I know Traxxas is a trusted brand, and I like the looks of the Rustler. I could get it, or a 1/16 E-Revo for the same price, $224.99. They are both brushed. I'd like something with a little more speed than the Caldera, or at least be able to upgrade for more speed. It will mostly be running on gravel, and some on-road. So, I guess the question is Rustler, or E-Revo?

Last edited by micah11; 11-25-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:44 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read here that the mini E-Revo (aka "MERV") needs a good deal of aftermarket stuff to make it tough enough for serious mayhem. But that's par for the course for most cars. You might could do better than the Merv, but overall I'd recommend a 4wd. I got pretty good at making a 2wd Rustler equivalent go fast around a course without spinning out, but the point-it-and-mash-the-throttle stability of a 4wd makes driving fast easier, with better control. The flip side is 2wd takes a little less maintenance than a 4wd.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:51 PM
almtx3

hey Micah11, right off the bat it seems like the E-revo might fit your needs a little better than the rustler.

The E-revo is 4wd as opposed to the rustler. The rustler is a stadium truck and driving it is a lot of fun but if you're not familiar with driving 2wd cars it can feel a little different. The 4wd trucks are a little more forgiving and will feel a bit more responsive with turns and handeling.

You also mentioned about future upgrades, it seems like you shouldn't have many issues upgrading the revo to a brushless set up later on down the road. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in on that.

In my opinion the rustler is a great truck but designed a little more for an off road track. The revo is more of a basher and if gravel and some on-road driving is your thing, then again, the revo seems like the way to go.

My only concern would be the size difference. I've seen videos of the 1:16 revo and it looks like it can dig through some rough terrain. But the bottom line is it is a smaller truck. If the size difference doesn't bother you then you just can't go wrong with the revo. It's also small enough to drive around inside your house and terrorize pets and small children (not that I condone that behavior)

I've got a brushed 2wd stampede I let my 7 year old son mess with and Its a blast to drive. I've done a few upgrades to it but I'd love to have more power. Maybe I'll get him a rustler VXL for Christmas and hope he lets me use it lol!

hope this helps, good luck with whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll have fun either way.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:54 PM
almtx3

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
the point-it-and-mash-the-throttle stability of a 4wd makes driving fast easier, with better control. The flip side is 2wd takes a little less maintenance than a 4wd.
great point!^
Old 11-25-2014, 10:17 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well with the Merv there are a few things you need to do out of the box to make it not handle like complete, and utter crap.
1st off you need to change out the springs, and shock fluid. The stock shock fluid, and springs are so soft the vehicle will almost bottom out just standing still. Also when you turn one of the front wheels will pick up into the air. Seriously I don't know why they even shipped it with the pathetic springs it has
2nd depending on what you plan to do if any jumping is involved you might need a chassis brace that bolts on under the shocks (the one I got is pretty cheap, and there are various designs) as the chassis is pretty thin where the shocks mount(I mean like almost paper thin)

Then you come to batteries... the weird size is kinda hard to find lipos for I bought a few different lipos, and they have issues getting into the battery tray. Its odd one battery I bought I got 2 one battery fits perfectly fine the next I can't get in at all.

When the arms break replace them with RPM arms(note I found this the hardest RC I've ever owned to replace the arms on)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE6Jc5gbKo4 he goes over some of the upgrades like the springs with part numbers

Also side thing that isn't needed, but I found made it way more controllable was adding the optional center differential.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:18 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
Well with the Merv there are a few things you need to do out of the box to make it not handle like complete, and utter crap.
1st off you need to change out the springs, and shock fluid. The stock shock fluid, and springs are so soft the vehicle will almost bottom out just standing still. Also when you turn one of the front wheels will pick up into the air. Seriously I don't know why they even shipped it with the pathetic springs it has
2nd depending on what you plan to do if any jumping is involved you might need a chassis brace that bolts on under the shocks (the one I got is pretty cheap, and there are various designs) as the chassis is pretty thin where the shocks mount(I mean like almost paper thin)

Then you come to batteries... the weird size is kinda hard to find lipos for I bought a few different lipos, and they have issues getting into the battery tray. Its odd one battery I bought I got 2 one battery fits perfectly fine the next I can't get in at all.

When the arms break replace them with RPM arms(note I found this the hardest RC I've ever owned to replace the arms on)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE6Jc5gbKo4 he goes over some of the upgrades like the springs with part numbers

Also side thing that isn't needed, but I found made it way more controllable was adding the optional center differential.
Glad to see someone here with first hand experience.

I'd go with the Rustler only 'cause of the less maintenance potential and LCG for your on-road use.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:22 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could put some extra cash in and get http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXEVSY**&P=ML

can't say how the brushed one performs, but I have a brushless one(threw in a 120A setup I got cheap) trucks pretty decent.
Only things I did was use ST tires(it actually was a slash 4x4 I converted), and throw in a center diff to make it controllable(BL its pretty nutty)
Old 11-27-2014, 12:13 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And the Stampede is a versatile platform. Look up "Project Shape-Shifter" on you tube.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:20 PM
micah11

Well... I didn't get either. Mostly because I was just looking for a cheap brushless/Lipo setup. I don't have any Lipo chargers or batteries, and until I got the Brushless motor/esc, and Lipo setup, It would be over $300. So, I decided on a .Redcat Twister XB Pro. It's brushless, and was only $190. Would this charger work for this battery? http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-TB6-B-Balancing-Charger-Battery/dp/B00466L0BW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417134918&sr=8-1&keywords=thunder+ac680

http://www.amazon.com/Venom-4000mAh-.../dp/B00177ZOEC

Last edited by micah11; 11-27-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:38 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah, that charger would work. It's just another iMax B6 re-branded. I'd get the AC model or one that comes with a power supply... unless you already have a power supply.
You also could get that charger or one similar on eBay a lot cheaper.

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-28-2014 at 05:50 AM.