Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

ecx ruckus upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 04:45 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Stingrayj
Rusty,
What the heck does a servo saver do exactly? I assume save your servo in the event of a wipeout or swift jerk to the steering arms?
Precisely!

Most (if not all) servo savers have a spring that will absorb unexpected bursts of steering energy so that the gears inside the servo don't get forced to move and potentially end up getting stripped. Some are adjustable, like ones built into a steering bellcranks and usually have a thumb-wheel to adjust the spring tension. For some reason or another, like the Yeti, some built in servo savers in bellcrank systems have no adjustability. Then, 'cause of weak servo savers breaking loose too soon and too fast, people have to figure out a modification to improve steering performance.

Here we are now with RPM and other manufacturers to the rescue. I have no problem not using servo savers...you just have to pick and choose a good servo with enough torque and metal gears. I prefer the use of something that has a little "give" to it, especially in larger and heavier scaled RCs.

If you don't want to risk stripping the servo, then I'd scrounge up the money and go for the Hot Racing steering bellcrank/servo saver.

I will say though, my RCs that are not equipped with servo savers, are more of the "racing breed" type of RCs and 1/10 scale. You will find many people not using servo savers on many types of RC platforms.

Last edited by RustyUs; 04-02-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:57 AM
67Stingrayj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok Guys,

What about a Brushless Motor and ESC. In this truck (or any other 1:10 or 1:8 scale) what size motor am I looking for? do they make a motor that is the same diameter as the one I have but longer? I know the Brushed 550 is a little longer, but is there a 560? 570?

Any recommendations? If money were no option, what would you get? and if you were on a beginners budget, what would you get?
Old 04-09-2016, 02:09 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by 67Stingrayj
Ok Guys,

What about a Brushless Motor and ESC. In this truck (or any other 1:10 or 1:8 scale) what size motor am I looking for? do they make a motor that is the same diameter as the one I have but longer? I know the Brushed 550 is a little longer, but is there a 560? 570?

Any recommendations? If money were no option, what would you get? and if you were on a beginners budget, what would you get?
I'm not quite sure about any 560, or 570 sized motors.

Originally Posted by Dave H
I’m not at all sure, but I think the 380, 540, 550, etc sizes come from Mabuchi. A Japanese company long associated with small electric motors. Believe Mabuchi motors powered many of the early electric RCs, probably many toys too.

Which unfortunately doesn’t answer your question, I don’t know if the numbers really mean anything as far as dimensions. I think they are just Mabuchi model numbers that have become de facto standards over the years.
That is what I was under the impression of. Sometimes you'll see 540 sized motors also labeled 3650...which is 36mm x 50mm. The same goes with 550 sized motors sometimes being labeled 3656...36mm x 56mm. In general, 550 sized motors are just a longer 540 motor. Not all 550 motors are equivalent in size, and you have really look at a motor's specs for the actual dimensions.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:32 AM
Breezeby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are some of my Upgrades on my Ruckus. I also have the brushless version as well. Crazy thing is that after I filmed this I crashed into my buddy and now have more aluminum parts on the way.
https://youtu.be/LmbWSYcjrQU
Old 01-07-2017, 12:49 PM
67Stingrayj

I love what you have done to your ECX Ruckus. I got rid of mine a few months ago and I miss it. It was an awesome RC for what you paid. At the time there were limited upgrades for it which led me to sell it. but I can see now from your postings that the hop ups for the Ruckus is where I wished it was when I sold mine. I wish I still had it. It was the perfect basher. The thing was longer than a Stampeed, and lower to the gound. It took to the air like a champ. I'm going to look for one on ebay.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:34 AM
robomow

I completely apologize for this reply not having anything to do with the question. I am trying to research more on the industry as well as robotics and figured I'd hop on where there seems to be a lot of people chatting :-)

Hi guys,

I have been working for a robotic lawn mower for about a year now. It has been difficult to pinpoint an exact demographic for it until now; I think I may have it figured out. I'd like to ask all of the RC community what your thoughts are on robotic lawn mowers? One that is set up using a perimeter wire around the house and then let the mower mow the yard on its own (much like the Roomba vacuum cleaner but for yards).

Is this something that you as an RC enthusiast would find interesting or like the many Americans consider it lazy?

Please send all your thoughts, opinions, interest, or lack there of. Any information will be appreciated.

Would you purchase a robotic lawn mower? Yes/No

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	robomow_rx_-_vue_de_c_t__1.jpg
Views:	1736
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	2196640   Click image for larger version

Name:	robomow_rx_1.jpg
Views:	1757
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	2196641   Click image for larger version

Name:	robomow_rx_top_1.jpg
Views:	1710
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	2196642   Click image for larger version

Name:	robomow-rx12-rasenmaehroboter-2-630.jpg
Views:	1726
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	2196643  
Old 05-20-2017, 05:38 PM
67Stingrayj

well you guys, Like I said I was going to find one on ebay and found a really good deal on a 2WD brushless model. How quickly I forgot about how bad the steering is on this thing. I just ordered a Savox SB-2274SG. At 6.0v it has 277 oz-in of torque (plenty fast) at .105 sec/60 (plenty fast). It's good to be back in the bashing game!
Old 05-21-2017, 08:22 AM
RustyUs

From what I've read, I'd go with the 2wd ECX models as well. It seems the 4wd platforms have more issues (Of course... right? More parts/driveline to worry about). I'd still like to try one just to see for myself. That servo that you got 67stingrayj will be plenty of muscle for the Ruckus. That's what I need for my flying pig rock racer. I can't wait for the Traxxas #8344 servo saver, for the Ford GT, to come out. It looks like a promising type of setup for those who want to use a servo saver; on the servo itself, and be adjustable as well.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:05 PM
Jay Magiever

Default Upgrade

I'm thinking of putting a 100amp hobbywing ESC into my ruckus 4x4. What would be a good motor to add with that esc. I was thinking around a 3800 or 4000kv motor
Old 12-31-2017, 03:22 AM
RustyUs

Either one should be great. If it were me, not knowing the brand of motors, the 3800 would be my choice and making sure it was a 550. The difference would not be too dramatic between the two. I run my off-road RCs on very rough terrain, so all out speed is not of importance too me. If you are coming from (upgrading) the Tazer 3300 motor you will see a bit of boost. If you are hopping up the Ruckus from the 15T brushed motor...I think you'll be in for a treat .
Old 01-01-2018, 12:40 PM
Jay Magiever

Default Upgrade

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Either one should be great. If it were me, not knowing the brand of motors, the 3800 would be my choice and making sure it was a 550. The difference would not be too dramatic between the two. I run my off-road RCs on very rough terrain, so all out speed is not of importance too me. If you are coming from (upgrading) the Tazer 3300 motor you will see a bit of boost. If you are hopping up the Ruckus from the 15T brushed motor...I think you'll be in for a treat .
thanks for info. I'm upgrading from the tazer 3300kv brushless system. It just doesn't give me enough speed. I have a bl 2250kv motor and a 2-4s 100amp esc. Also a 1850 kv motor that's sitting around. Can the truck handle the power